How and when will MLB resume in 2020? Update: Owners Agree - Proposal Submitted to Union

PaulFolk

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Look ..... I'm 49 and not scared of Covid 19 personally. If something unfortunate happens to me I will chalk it up to bad luck.

Based on the numbers, I am scared for my parents, they still live in South Baltimore, have and still smoke like chimneys, and have other health issues.

Its great to want to get past this and I do as much as anyone. But what Georgia and Florida are doing is just stupidity

I'm 57 and I smoke like a chimney too. And my diet is the FARTHEST from healthy. That's a lot of what scares me. Mask and glove up when I go out. Wipe off the stuff I buy.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

You may think you'll be first in line.....it will be given to essential folk first and least essential last. I don't know where you are on the spectrum, but I expect to be way at the back.

Just a figure of speech. But I'm old so I'll be towards the front. ?

23 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Its great to want to get past this and I do as much as anyone. But what Georgia and Florida are doing is just stupidity

Alton Brown lives in Georgia and is quarantined and stay in place like the rest of us. He and his wife Elizabeth have been doing live feeds for several weeks of them cooking dinner at home, mostly with stuff from their freezer/pantry. He had some CHOICE words for their governor Tuesday night. ?

But I don't want anything to get political so I'll just drop it.

• Haha 1

I have been worried what people think of me when they see me in a store. First I smoke, therefore I cough (into my sleeve carefully.) Also my hayfever is TERRIBLE this spring so I have the sniffles ALL DAY EVERY DAY. So I must look like a walking Typhoid Mary.

Minor league teams must be in bad shape, Not sure how many other teams are doing this .

Salem Red Sox To Go!

Swing by the stadium Thursday, April 23rd through Saturday, April 25th from 11-2pm for lunch! This week, boneless wings and a mac & cheese dog have been added to the menu.

Get a glimpse of the best view in Minor League Baseball without having to leave your car.

First responders, healthcare workers, and grocery store employees get a free meal. We will be open for to-go orders April 30th through May 2nd as well.

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffiles.constantcontact.com%2Fdd9fac1e501%2F7827c20a-2c4c-49b5-a9cc-004c8d1193d7.jpg&t=1587661892&ymreqid=2a47cbfe-0e44-7b04-1c9b-b80099012e00&sig=DVK404YBAN0ti7Gf8WKW7w--~C

I am actually encouraged by the latest studies that have come out of California and New York that show that a higher percentage of the population than expected is testing positive for the antibodies.   This thing is more widespread than initially believed.   Certainly way more than the stated 850K Americans have already been exposed to it.

That means a couple things....first of all, the death rate is probably lower than currently believed.   And secondly, IF having the antibodies means you are no longer at risk of catching it, then there are more people who could possibly go back to work and get things running again.

We still have a lot to learn about asymptomatic transmission, whether you can get it again, etc.   And now apparently it's infecting a ton of felines (two regular cats, and a bunch of various types of jungle/mountain cats at the NY Zoo, have tested positive).

But if a larger % of the country than believed has already been infected and POSSIBLY passed through the danger zone and come out the other side, that's a good sign IMO.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I am actually encouraged by the latest studies that have come out of California and New York that show that a higher percentage of the population than expected is testing positive for the antibodies.   This thing is more widespread than initially believed.   Certainly way more than the stated 850K Americans have already been exposed to it.

That means a couple things....first of all, the death rate is probably lower than currently believed.   And secondly, IF having the antibodies means you are no longer at risk of catching it, then there are more people who could possibly go back to work and get things running again.

We still have a lot to learn about asymptomatic transmission, whether you can get it again, etc.   And now apparently it's infecting a ton of felines (two regular cats, and a bunch of various types of jungle/mountain cats at the NY Zoo, have tested positive).

But if a larger % of the country than believed has already been infected and POSSIBLY passed through the danger zone and come out the other side, that's a good sign IMO.

Yes.because the way it looks now it looks like a 3 .5  % or so mortality rate but probably if tests bare out 1% or a little higher or lower. Again we shall see because every day we are learning things. Governor  of California wants to do autopsy tests back to December. 

Many caveats here and we have to learn more about how the tests were conducted, which could bias the numbers either upward or downward (or some mix of both). But, interesting data.

49 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I never get the flu shot. Partly because I think it's just a "Can't someone think about the children???!!?!!!!" overreaction. Partly because I don't believe it helps. Mostly because I just never get the flu. Just the way my body is for some reason. (I get stomach flus which are kind of worse, kind of better.)

Saying all that... I guarantee if and when they get a vaccine for COVID-19 I'll be the first in line. I don't know why but this one scares me.

This I have never gotten the flu is silly.  Stomach flu is not the flu and isn't better.  I have gotten flu twice in my life.  Once as a child and once as an adult two years ago. I had the Type A flu a couple of years ago it was pretty awful. I had heavy wheezing and my oxygen rating  went down to 94.  They gave me three runs through the nebulizer machine at the doctors office and they told me if I didn't improve by the next day they would admit me to the hospital. Fortunately I was better the next day.  

People say they have the flu but don't really have it.  Type A flu is some serious stuff.  It was the one year I didn't get the flu shot. My wife and daughter got the Flu shot that year and did not get the flu.  The flu is not more widespread because a large percentage of people in this country get the flu shot.  I got the flu from some co-worker who visited a third world country.  

2 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Would most of you watch the KBO?  Looks like ESPN wanted to televise the games.First wanted it for free ,then wanted to pay a little till MLB started.KBO felt disrespected by that.

In a normal situation I'd rather watch the LG Twins play the Samsung Lions than the Rangers against the Royals.  So, yea.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Minor league teams must be in bad shape.

Their normal business model with revenues involves paying their players $1000 bucks a month and convincing them to stay with random families to avoid rent, while taking large subsidies from MLB.  So no revenues for a few months... yes, they're probably in bad shape.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

No.

Don't get me wrong watching baseball is great.  But part of it is watching guys you know to see how they're doing.  Or watching the new rookie or the exciting new free agent pickup.  It's why we still actively track Nick Markakis on here.  Seeing Adam Jones' career arc was great. 

I've got no interest in watching baseball where I don't know the players and don't know the teams.  I'd probably check it out for the novelty of it but I don't see myself actively watching the KBO.  Knowing myself, I'd probably get bored after a few games.

Sadly, there are several former O's in this league...so you do know some of the players.  

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Their normal business model with revenues involves paying their players $1000 bucks a month and convincing them to stay with random families to avoid rent, while taking large subsidies from MLB.  So no revenues for a few months... yes, they're probably in bad shape.

They aren't the ones paying players, that is MLB.