Britt Ghiroli: Is this TMZ?

weams

https://theathletic.com/1837875/2020/05/27/is-this-tmz-inside-the-beat-2011-orioles/?source=emp_shared_article

Inside the beat with the 2011 Orioles.

Baseball is about so much more than what you see on TV or read about later. The best part about being a sportswriter is the inside stories, the fun color, the stuff you remember years after the stats and game stories fade. This is the fourth of a weekly series about the 13 years I’ve been in baseball. Each week, I’ll spotlight a new year/team of memories.

One of the first questions you get when you tell people you’re a baseball beat writer is some form of, “What do you do in the offseason?” I’ll tell you what you do in the offseason: you hope your phone doesn’t ring. “Especially when you’re in a crowded bar on New Year’s Eve because a player on the team you cover has been involved in a fatal shooting.

Yes, everyone remembers that final walk-off win in 2011, Game 162 that kept the Red Sox out of the playoffs and caused Orioles utility ...”

Fans hated Gregg, who ended up with a 4.37 ERA, nearly as bad as Gonzalez. That is, until Gregg and David Ortiz exchanged punches on July 8 at Fenway Park. Gregg had thrown inside several times. Ortiz took exception to that and stormed the mound after jawing with Gregg once he popped up.

“You show them that we’re not backing down,” Gregg said later. “We’re not scared of them — them and their $180 million payroll.”

He was a hero in Baltimore after that. The Orioles had long been seen as a punching bag and Gregg had fought back.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

who would be your poster child for this honor?

Well, Belle is a good pick.

John Rocker.  Pete Rose (although I love Pete Rose).  Dibble.  Bonds.  Clemens.  A-Rod, although he has done a masterful job of remaking himself.  Mel Hall.  Canseco.  Milton Bradley.  Doc and Darryl.  Dave Kingman.  Rogers Hornsby.  Kenesaw Mountain Landis, according to some reports, was instrumental in keeping black people out of baseball.  

I mean, I hated Ortiz, too.  He was annoying as hell.  But other than playing for Boston, what'd he really do that was so reprehensible?  Smashed a dugout phone and took PEDs.  Big deal.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, Belle is a good pick.

John Rocker.  Pete Rose (although I love Pete Rose).  Dibble.  Bonds.  Clemens.  A-Rod, although he has done a masterful job of remaking himself.  Mel Hall.  Canseco.  Milton Bradley.  Doc and Darryl.  Dave Kingman.  Rogers Hornsby.  Kenesaw Mountain Landis, according to some reports, was instrumental in keeping black people out of baseball.  

I mean, I hated Ortiz, too.  He was annoying as hell.  But other than playing for Boston, what'd he really do that was so reprehensible?  Smashed a dugout phone and took PEDs.  Big deal.

Good points with all. I hated Rose's personality but did respect his hustle and on the field play.

I am going to have to rethink my previous position on this.,

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• If they sit Kjerstad for a few days for what could have warranted a  concussion protocol, it would make sense to bring up Mayo. I've said many times, I don't expect the kid to rake right away, but he could be a spark, could be a momentum changer. We don't know unless we make the move. It may not happen, but this could be the situation that makes sense.
    • I've been called the  whiner,  the "reverse jinx" guy, the guy who sees the "dark cloud" behind the silver lining....you name it.  But I would like to say this. Yes, this team is struggling and yes this is a significant series and we might not snap out of it right away. But remember. This team is too talented, too energetic, too destined to be denied over the long haul. We are going to bust out...and soon. It might take a while but when we do, look out. There will be new personnel, perhaps some new pitchers and bullpen pieces...maybe they wont make a splash, but it will be an upgrade. Its coming. This team will have a very fine second half of the season. Our youth is showing a little bit, but over the long haul...this team will NOT be stopped. Not over the course of a season. I want to see this team playing with a swagger and confidence I've seen before. It will happen. It will be a hit, then another hit. Then it will be contagious and it will be exciting to watch. A long time ago, the Beatles' John Lennon used to ask his bandmates, "Where are we going fellas"? And Paul, Ringo, and George would chime in... "We're going to the topper most of the popper most , Johnny" That's what I'd like to say . WERE GOING TO THE "TOPPERMOST OF THE POPPERMOST".  We're gonna be "Fab" again. I promise. And I can't wait to get there with them. Who's with me?
    • Probably needs another thread but I think hitting a batter in the head should come with a suspension. A bunch of sports like NFL and Hockey have done things to protect players. I would feel the same way if Kimbrel hit a Yankee in the head too. There’s probably some data out there on the average time a concussed player misses time and base the first time suspension off. Then each one after that gets more severe. There is a way to throw inside and anything above the shoulders should be off limits.
    • Oh my god! The slide? The Orioles have three more wins this year than they did at this date last season. If you want to get technical, their record thru 94 game is identical to last season. Calm down. 
    • I get what you are saying but I still admit I surprised they have the early starts when school is out. I’m fine with them myself but you would think an additional half hour could convince someone to make the trek.     At the game tonight the empty seats filled in by about 730. I always thought years ago 730 starts made sense on Friday’s but I gave up on that idea. 
    • Goes without saying a split rest of way keeps Orioles up one game at break and also means they would be up 6-4 in season standings. Win both you clinch season series. Play at NYY 3 games with 6 games to go. Just avoid a damn sweep. I think the series is more important from a tiebreaker standpoint than necessarily being up or down a game.    Hopefully some frustration was released in the 9th inning. One big hit and maybe this team relaxes some.  
    • Brought this up in game thread. Send Povich down for an arm. Technically don’t need a 5th SP until SD series but based off how the Orioles like give guys an extra day they can start Irvin vs MIA.  Play a DH at home Mon July 30. Can call him back up then. Play 11 games before that DH. One start by Irvin vs MIA is worth an extra arm.    I know he needs to be added to the 40 but Mayo could come up for Kjerstad. Concussion IL is 7 days. You have 4 days off at the break. If not Mayo then obviously Stowers, it makes no sense to take any chances for losing Heston 3 games at most.     
  • Popular Contributors