2020 Orioles draft review: Elias ends up with three first round talents

Tony-OH

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You are hilarious. You are so over the top that I can almost see you seething. I like your passion, but it's so misguided at times. Like your hate for the best quarterback and player in football last year. You see what you want to see, but you need to learn to be more open to other opinions and ideas and also realize you may be proven wrong and then accept that.

This is something I've definitely learned a lot as I've gotten older, the internet is really good at amplifying and reinforcing our anger. Recognizing when your brain has basically closed you off to new perspectives is really hard, but it's really easy to see in others when you take a step back.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

FWIW this is from Eric Longenhagen at Fan Graphs:

Good to hear that an objective observer thinks we “crushed it.”   I’m interested to see how other national analysts feel.    I’m sure we’ll be seeing various opinions over the next day or two.   

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

The more I read and watched video of Hunter Haskin, the more I kinda like him. That swing if fugly, no doubt, but the guy can rake and he's got enough speed and defensive ability to play all three outfield positions. If he can develop into 20 homer power, .280-.290/.340-.350 OBP guy, he's a solid major league starting outfielder, particularly in center field.

His arm has accuracy issues, but it's solid to even above average according to most sources but I don't think the arm will end up a detriment or an asset.

Add in the SB ability and you're describing Ramon Laureano. I would be happy with that. 

25 minutes ago, makoman said:

And 290 hitters sophomore year turn into 340 hitters junior year if they take the next step.

Rutschman hit 234 his freshman year, he should've just quit right?

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You are being silly now. 

OK .... Wink Wink

Taking Kjerstad over Martin was lunacy! Period! We passed on the BPA due to a strategy of hoping to hit on a 4th or 5th rounder.

30 minutes ago, weams said:

Why? Some of the greatest players in history have occupied that position. It certainly requires a huge bat.

Didn't you hear? That Ichiro guy was limited defensively. And don't get me started on Frank Robinson and Roberto Clemente. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Taking Kjerstad over Martin was lunacy! Period! We passed on the BPA due to a strategy of hoping to hit on a 4th or 5th rounder.

And...we did.

I get the strategy, I don't really mind it, in fact it's pretty good.  I also think there were other guys that we could have taken over Kjerstad and been able to do the same thing later.  

4 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

Didn't you hear? That Ichiro guy was limited defensively. And don't get me started on that Frank Robinson guy and Roberto Clemente. 

All of those guys could play some center when they were in their early 20s.  Ichiro was still playing some CF in his 40s.  Kjerstad will probably never play an inning in center as a pro. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

All of those guys could play some center when they were in their early 20s.  Ichiro was still playing some CF in his 40s.  Kjerstad will probably never play an inning in center as a pro. 

True. I was just working off the blanket statement that guys played RF because they were limited defensively. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

OK .... Wink Wink

Noted. According to you, a draft strategy by one of the brightest minds in baseball is lunacy. Let's move on.

39 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

OK .... Wink Wink

Would you rather have one star or 3 stars? That's essentially what this boils down to, with the obvious caveat that no one is guaranteed to be any good, Martin included.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

This years BA doesnt count as its a small sample size

I think the O’s have very sophisticated techniques for teasing out which statistics from this year’s small sample size can be relied upon, and which can’t.    I do think they were willing to put more credence in some players’ stats from this year than some other teams were.   We will see if they were right.

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Actually, lets separate talent verses round. They may have 1st round talent but no team, including the Orioles, thought they were worth drafting in the first round. To say the Orioles got 3 1st rounders is disingenuous. 

At just 160 draftees this year, it might be interesting if all the signing bonuses become known to order them 1-160, and then let that define who is really what "round".  

This draft has helped me understand more why picks being untradeable isn't really a big deal.  I suspect by rounds 4/5 very few clubs had the option of picking Mayo/Baumler with any realistic hope of signing them.  The NFL draft chart so embedded in my brain really seems not to apply.

The strategy itself enacted trading down from 2 to 8 for a pair of seemingly solid 2nd rounders.  I will be curious to see if those two bonuses end up more like 30th, 45th or 60th overall.