Players opting out of 2020 season

SteveA

Updated list of optouts as of August 10:

Ariz RHP MIke Leake
Atl RHP Felix Hernandez (minor league contract but was expected to make the team)
Atl OF Nick Markakis -- opted out before season but is opting back in a week or two into the season)
Balt RHP Kohl Stewart -- was on roster with team for a week but never pitched, then opted out; has Type 1 Diabetes so I believe he will still get his salary
Bos RHP Collin McHugh (was going to miss significant part of the season recovering from injury anyway)
ChC OF Mark Zagunis 
CWS RHP Michael Kopech (rookie, key player from the Chris Sale deal)
Hou RHP Joe Smith

LAA SS Andrelton Simmons -- opts out of remainder of season with 5 games left
LAD LHP David Price
Mia 2B Isan Diaz -- minor league prospect
Milw OF Lorenzo Cain -- first player to opt out after playing MLB regular season games"
Milw RHP Shelby Miller -- was on a minor league contract in their alternate camp
NYM DH Yeonis Cespedes -- opted out 9 days into the season after playing 
NYM RHP Marcus Stroman -- hadn't pitched yet due to a calf injury but was approaching being healthy enough and decided to opt out
Pitt RHP Hector Noesi
SF C Buster Posey
SL RHP Jordan Hicks
Wash 1B Ryan Zimmerman
Wash RHP Joe Ross
Wash C Welington Castillo (minor league contrct)
RHP Tyson Ross (unsigned free agent)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hope none of them get grief for their decision.

If they were one of the players plastering “When and where, we ready” on social media then they should, because their antics are just charades if they opt out after that. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I hope none of them get grief for their decision.

I do too, but you know how the fans can be.

Leake supports his paralyzed father and should be able to weather the loss of income this season, as should Zimmerman.

Ross is a puzzle as its look like he was making league min for a vet of 514K, which is good money compared to what we are making.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

I do too, but you know how the fans can be.

Leake supports his paralyzed father and should be able to weather the loss of income this season, as should Zimmerman.

Ross is a puzzle as its look like he was making league min for a vet of 514K, which is good money compared to what we are making.

Fans, ownership, teammates.  Maybe even a member of the media. 

Just now, scOtt said:

Be nice if CD would sit out. Altho that would just stretch out his contract for ANOTHER year.

Or would it? Will these players forfeit and lose a year of their contract?

Yes, unless that player can be validated by medical personal that they are high risk.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Be nice if CD would sit out. Altho that would just stretch out his contract for ANOTHER year.

Or would it? Will these players forfeit and lose a year of their contract?

I have tried to verify this, but I think I am stating this part correctly.

Contracts cover time.  Not playing does not change that time.  However, in the case of Chris Davis...  a sizable portion of his contract is deferred and therefore will be paid anyway.  In other words, Orioles off the hook for major portion of Chris Davis' salary for 2020, however they still owe the entire portion of deferred money.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I have tried to verify this, but I think I am stating this part correctly.

Contracts cover time.  Not playing does not change that time.  However, in the case of Chris Davis...  a sizable portion of his contract is deferred and therefore will be paid anyway.  In other words, Orioles off the hook for major portion of Chris Davis' salary for 2020, however they still owe the entire portion of deferred money.

Chris Davis Contract:

2016 $17 million

2017 $17 million

2018 $17 million

2019 $17 million

2020 $17 million (now will be prorated to 60/162 of $17 million)

2021 $17 million

2022 $17 million

-- end of the playing portion of this contract)

There is then $42 million to be paid deferred between 2023 and 2037 (15 years).   I don't know if that means exactly $2.8 million in each of those 15 years or if it is set up in different amounts in different years..

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

Any of these players get the extra $600 a week from the gov't?

They better not!!! :mad: 'Sbeen 6 f-ing weeks now and I still haven't seen a GD dime! From the Feds or PA. Meanwhile I have $12 in the bank... they have millions.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, scOtt said:

They better not!!! :mad: 'Sbeen 6 f-ing weeks now and I still haven't seen a GD dime! From the Feds or PA. Meanwhile I have $12 in the bank... they have millions.

I'm sorry to rant. But this is just wearing on me. I'm usually the lowest stress, water off a duck's back kind of guy. But this [crap] is getting to be too much!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Chris Davis Contract:

2016 $17 million

2017 $17 million

2018 $17 million

2019 $17 million

2020 $17 million (now will be prorated to 60/162 of $17 million)

2021 $17 million

2022 $17 million

-- end of the playing portion of this contract)

There is then $42 million to be paid deferred between 2023 and 2037 (15 years).   I don't know if that means exactly $2.8 million in each of those 15 years or if it is set up in different amounts in different years..

I would assume there is language in the contract (or it may be standard in the CBA) about how money from a given season that was set to be deferred, but ends up not being earned, is treated. For example, if Davis voluntarily retired between 2021 and 2022 (no agreed-upon buy-out), then I am sure there is some mechanism for how that translates to the deferred monies.

Perhaps its ratable, perhaps every dollar lost comes off the front of the deferral period (i.e., first dollar comes from 2023 then 2024 when every 2023 dollar is removed), conversely off the back, etc.