The 40 man roster will be a bottleneck this season

wildcard

11 minutes ago, atomic said:

Here is how you come up with a list of players on the 40 man that we need to keep:

* Davis and Cobb

* Players who will be on the next winning Orioles team.

* Players who can be traded for players on the next Orioles winning team

Add those guys up and you will see there is no 40 man problem. 

Other than the O's have to field a team in 2020.  And Elias would like to put the best players around the prospects that he can to help the prospect grow.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You are not concerned and I am not trying to make you concerned.  

From where the O's are right now they are trying to add players that are better then what they had last year.   Holaday's experience in calling games could help the young pitchers more that Sisco or maybe even Severino.

Hanhold looks like he has a pretty good arm that could make a good reliever.   Considering that the O's had one of the worst pens in baseball last year he may help.

I am not trying to say that they make the team contenders.  Just that if we are going to watch the O's evaluate players and this is a Oriole board then maybe we should talk about what is happening with the O's.

I see no evidence that the Orioles are trying to add players to make the team better than last year. Instead I see the opposite.   We have Villar, Cashner and Bundy removed from last years team.  Mancini won't be playing.  I see a worse team.  

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Other than the O's have to field a team in 2020.  And Elias would like to put the best players around the prospects that he can to help the prospect grow.

Is that actually true?  Was Brooks Robinson held back and his development stunted because when he was first called up the O's were 57-97 and played Fred Marsh at second base?   Would Nick Markakis have flamed early in his career if the O's had put Oscar Salazar at first instead of Kevin Millar in '08?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Not when two of his starters come down with COVID or injuries.  Which of course is possible.

I think you may be missing the bigger picture, which is that 80% of the roster is fungible and the O's are going to win 17 games this year.

Remember in the old days when the routine baseball transactions were listed in 8-point agate type on page G22 of the newspaper?  Every transaction the O's make this year will be noted at the bottom of page G22.

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

I see no evidence that the Orioles are trying to add players to make the team better than last year. Instead I see the opposite.   We have Villar, Cashner and Bundy removed from last years team.  Mancini won't be playing.  I see a worse team.  

Welcome to the rebuild.   Just because Elias shed expensive players that will not be part of the next contender do not mean he is not trying to build the team with the best players he can find that fits the rebuild strategy.

Will the team be worse?  Probably.  Will some individual players do better? Probably. Are players that can support the prospects important.  Sure.   They have to play 60 games.  They want it to benefit the prospects.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think you may be missing the bigger picture, which is that 80% of the roster is fungible and the O's are going to win 17 games this year.

Remember in the old days when the routine baseball transactions were listed in 8-point agate type on page G22 of the newspaper?  Every transaction the O's make this year will be noted at the bottom of page G22.

The O's will probably lose a lot of games.  They still want to put a team together the benefit the prospects.

11 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Is that actually true?  Was Brooks Robinson held back and his development stunted because when he was first called up the O's were 57-97 and played Fred Marsh at second base?   Would Nick Markakis have flamed early in his career if the O's had put Oscar Salazar at first instead of Kevin Millar in '08?

Oh, so you think they should put the worse players they can find around the prospect.  That's not right.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Weren't you one to the guys that wanted the rebuild?

Yes.  Not sure why you are asking.

We don't know what the actual priorities are for ownership. 

The main goal might be to make as much money as possible off the team.

We know that Peter was willing to spend in certain situations.  We don't know that about the sons.  Not yet.