The 40 man roster will be a bottleneck this season

wildcard

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They need to keep as many players as they can just to get through the season without being force to call up players that they don't want to call up.

If you assigned an overall 20-80 scouting grade to everyone in the system here's a made up example of how the back end of the 40 and the first few not on the 40 grade out:

36. 37
37. 36.5
38. 36.25
39. 36
40. 35.8
41. 35.7
42. 35.5
43. 35.4
44. 35.1

You're really, really, really, really, really concerned that the O's might have to cut loose a 36 rated prospect with a 10% chance at a short, decent MLB career, and replace him with a 35 rated prospect with a 9% chance. 

6 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If you assigned an overall 20-80 scouting grade to everyone in the system here's a made up example of how the back end of the 40 and the first few not on the 40 grade out:

36. 37
37. 36.5
38. 36.25
39. 36
40. 35.8
41. 35.7
42. 35.5
43. 35.4
44. 35.1

You're really, really, really, really, really concerned that the O's might have to cut loose a 36 rated prospect with a 10% chance at a short, decent MLB career, and replace him with a 35 rated prospect with a 9% chance. 

Made up?  Let's talk names not your imagination.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's be honest here, the only players on the 40-man roster that should concern Elias are ones that either will be part of a winning future in 2-3 years, or can bring in players by trade for players who may.

Out of that list, the following players should be protected: (And I'm stretching it for some)

Pitchers:
Keegan Akin (maybe)
Miguel Castro
Alex Cobb (Trade potential)
Mychal Givens (trade)
Hunter Harvey
Dean Kremer (maybe)
John Means
Tanner Scott (stretch)

Catchers:
None

Infielders:
Ryan Mountcastle
Renato Nunez (stretch)

Outfielders
Austin Hays
Trey Mancini (trade)
Anthony Santander (maybe)

So no, I don't see a 40-man crunch of concern by Elias.

Mancini will be on the long term disabled list so he won't be on the 40 man during the season.  I would add Davis to that list as we know he isn't going anywhere. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

Because none of them are on the 40 man roster.

Actually Hanhold and Holaday are pretty interesting players that may be better than what the O's have on the 40 man roster.

I was about to gree with you about Holaday. I think he’s the odds-on favorite to actually be the starter until AR is ready: Not immediately, but I bet by the end of this season

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nah, I'm just going to bow out and let you stay up until 3am worrying yourself sick about the tragic battle between the 39th and 41st-best 2020 Oriole.

But those guys might be worth 0.7 WAR over 400 PAs or 84 innings from 2020-2026! With like a 1-5% chance of being worth 5-10 wins. Keeping in mind Ryan Flaherty has been worth 1 win in 1500 PAs and Tommy Hunter has somehow been worth 10 so we’re talking about that kind of talent. 

I would like to point out to all the commentators who are equating this post to the argument about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, that we don’t have anything else to talk about.

Also, each one of these guys is a real person. I Garen damn Tee you that it’s important to them.

I have frequently said that I would like to give every guy in the high minor some time in the Bigs. Not because they’re going to be a part of our next big team, but because they deserve some reward for the years they’ve spent, and it’s not going to have any negative affect on our rebuild schedule to give them a couple days in the Show.

5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's apples to oranges.  He's an executive VP.  Of course he would be making more.

I think your narrative of worrying about spending has gotten a bit shopworn.   At the end of the day, now isn’t the time to be spending a lot on payroll.     When the time comes, we’ll see what they do.    There’s no significant evidence one way or the other.    

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think your narrative of worrying about spending has gotten a bit shopworn.   At the end of the day, now isn’t the time to be spending a lot on payroll.     When the time comes, we’ll see what they do.    There’s no significant evidence one way or the other.    

Be that as it may, comparing what an executive vice president makes and what someone who is solely a GM makes isn't an accurate comparison.

Myself, I think contemplating ownership's willingness to spend is as valid a topic as anything else when we haven't had games since last October.