OPACY New Home of the Jays? Update (No. It is Buffalo.)

Pat Kelly

35 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am not sure how I am giving an air of superiority.  Florida has a much higher current rate of infection.  Probably even higher in Miami and Tampa areas.  You have some sort of agenda unrelated to anything we posted.  Maryland probably should have done a 14 day quarantine a month ago for out of state visitors when we had the virus much lower rate.   As for Maryland's rate in May.  Testing was saved for the sickest people at that time. Currently testing is much more widespread.   Florida should have kept out of staters out of the state back in May and maybe they wouldn't have such a high infection rate currently.

My only "agenda" is pointing out that Florida is hardly the only place with a Covid issue when discussing whether the Blue Jays can/should play their home games in Baltimore. And that's true about previous testing in Maryland being more restrictive (the corollary to that is that there were likely many more cases than were caught), but positivity rate was the metric you brought up. My comment about an air of superiority is statements like the bolded, which seem to suggest that Florida brought this on itself. That said, as long as you are willing to say Maryland should have done something as well (as you do above), then I will gladly back off my previous statement, at least as it was directed at you.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

My only "agenda" is pointing out that Florida is hardly the only place with a Covid issue when discussing whether the Blue Jays can/should play their home games in Baltimore. And that's true about previous testing in Maryland being more restrictive (the corollary to that is that there were likely many more cases than were caught), but positivity rate was the metric you brought up. My comment about an air of superiority is statements like the bolded, which seem to suggest that Florida brought this on itself. That said, as long as you are willing to say Maryland should have done something as well (as you do above), then I will gladly back off my previous statement, at least as it was directed at you.

I actually said Maryland should have kept people out of state when we had cases in the low 400's per day.  I am not sure where my superiority is. I am not saying we are superior. I am saying today Florida's infection rate is much higher than Maryland's.  I am not sure where the argument is about that.  If you see superiority you have an agenda as I haven't said one thing about being superior.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

I actually said Maryland should have kept people out of state when we had cases in the low 400's per day.  I am not sure where my superiority is. I am not saying we are superior. I am saying today Florida's infection rate is much higher than Maryland's.  I am not sure where the argument is about that.  If you see superiority you have an agenda as I haven't said one thing about being superior.  

Yes, which is why I said

That said, as long as you are willing to say Maryland should have done something as well (as you do above), then I will gladly back off my previous statement

On 7/20/2020 at 4:05 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Why?  Would be good for the local economy.  Not as if the O's wouldn't get precedence if both teams were scheduled to play.

I don't care for the Jays but this isn't the time to be petty about stuff.

I'm guessing the Jays or the league will pay the hosting facilities.

tenor.gif

I'll be petty.  

I hate the Jays.  Cito sucks.  Go find another place to play.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know how when the 60 game schedule was announced this wasn't taken care of. Canada had basically shut down the border months ago. There should have been a contingency plan in place.....maybe they thought Dunedin, but even without covid Dunedin would have made it look like a Little League game. This season is going to be more like a game of Survivor.

13 hours ago, atomic said:

I don’t think he meant it as a personal attack on you.    He’s just pointing out that Maryland has had its own serious problems with the virus in the past, and may be on track to have serious problems again, so we (as a state) shouldn’t look down our noses at Florida just because the problem is bigger there right now.    I agree with that — the cases here have increased the weeks in a row, and the rate of growth also has increased.   I hope things head the other direction but I’m worried it won’t.   

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, atomic said:

The real problem is with the less than 30 crowd that are going to bars etc and trying to operate in the back to normal habits. Also the people who are fighting wearing the dam mask, and somehow it’s a violation of their rights.

The mask sucks .. But wear it!

I had a business associate who was at the beach 2 weeks ago. He said the proprietors were operating in a business as usual formal. He said the bars and restaurants were wall to wall packed. It’s just idiotic and a piss poor job by OCs mayor Rick Meehan.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

The real problem is with the less than 30 crowd that are going to bars etc and trying to operate in the back to normal habits. Also the people who are fighting wearing the dam mask, and somehow it’s a violation of their rights.

The mask sucks .. But wear it!

I had a business associate who was at the beach 2 weeks ago. He said the proprietors were operating in a business as usual formal. He said the bars and restaurants were wall to wall packed. It’s just idiotic and a piss poor job by OCs mayor Rick Meehan.

We stayed at hotel at the beach last week.  The hotel we stayed at about half the people were not wearing masks inside the hotel.  I am not sure why. I had to take the emergency exit stairs to get in and out of the hotel as I didn't want to be around these people.  The one restaurant that was actually doing a really good job of enforcing people wearing masks walking to their outdoor tables had to close a couple of days after we left due an employee contacting covid.

It is night and day how the Delaware beaches are doing compared to Ocean City on stopping the spread. If you are at a Deleware boardwalk without a mask the police immediately descend on you and tell you to put a mask on. In OC no one seems to be wearing a mask and no one seems to care.  This is the first time I stayed in OC in decades. But as I already stayed in Bethany Beach this year I thought I would give OC a chance. I doubt I will ever be back. 

They should make it a jail-able offense to not wear a mask in public with a $10,000 fine.

• Downvote 1

Just now, atomic said:

We stayed at hotel at the beach last week.  The hotel we stayed at about half the people were not wearing masks inside the hotel.  I am not sure why. I had to take the emergency exit stairs to get in and out of the hotel as I didn't want to be around these people.  The one restaurant that was actually doing a really good job of enforcing people wearing masks walking to their outdoor tables had to close a couple of days after we left due an employee contacting covid.

It is night and day how the Delaware beaches are doing compared to Ocean City on stopping the spread. If you are at a Deleware boardwalk without a mask the police immediately descend on you and tell you to put a mask on. In OC no one seems to be wearing a mask and no one seems to care.  This is the first time I stayed in OC in decades. But as I already stayed in Bethany Beach this year I thought I would give OC a chance. I doubt I will ever be back. 

They should make it a jail-able offense to not wear a mask in public with a $10,000 fine.

see below

5 minutes ago, weams said:

Please take the Covid talk to the Covid thread. 

Sorry I did not realize there was one.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, atomic said:

You say "how they are doing," but I think you mean "what they are doing." If you compare Worcester County, MD (where OC is) to Sussex County, DE (DE beaches), I'm not sure it tells the story of the latter stopping the spread more than the former. As of this morning, Worcester County, MD has 428 confirmed cases (826 per 100K), while Sussex County, DE has 5,365 confirmed cases (2,340 per 100K). Perhaps this disparity is driven by chicken processing plants or some other difference, but I don't think the data supports a results-driven comparison.

Source: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

Edit - per request, stopping Covid talk in here

• Thanks 1

I personally think it would have been better to have the Jays split their schedule between Baltimore and DC than in Pittsburgh. They could've had a number of teams really close. Better than the 3 hour drive to Pittsburgh or flight and airport stuff.

There is no advantage to Blue Jays fans for games in Pittsburgh

43 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I personally think it would have been better to have the Jays split their schedule between Baltimore and DC than in Pittsburgh. They could've had a number of teams really close. Better than the 3 hour drive to Pittsburgh or flight and airport stuff.

There is no advantage to Blue Jays fans for games in Pittsburgh

I personally think the Blue Jays and their fans can go piss up a rope.  Be happy that there's some bastard stepson of a season to begin with, boo frickity hoo that they can't play in their late 80s dump of a stadium that's a monument to the decade of excess.