OPACY New Home of the Jays? Update (No. It is Buffalo.)

Pat Kelly

29 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

This is why I was saying it was gauche of the Pirates to publicly campaign for it, because it wasn't (solely) up to them, the city and state government has a say as well. Now the Pirates look like chumps.

They really just look like they didnt do their due diligence.  I still havent seen where they campaigned for it.

The chumps...that's MLB for not having figured this stuff out weeks ago.  Plan on the fly is working so well.

Look at the NBA....heres the plan, heres how we are going to split revenue, heres how we are going to create a bubble, where the teams will play.  Planned it all out and no positive tests for a week.  Now they are ready to play.

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

They really just look like they didnt do their due diligence.  I still havent seen where they campaigned for it.

The chumps...that's MLB for not having figured this stuff out weeks ago.  Plan on the fly is working so well.

Look at the NBA....heres the plan, heres how we are going to split revenue, heres how we are going to create a bubble, where the teams will play.  Planned it all out and no positive tests for a week.  Now they are ready to play.

Referring to the statement in this Tweet.

Would have been better off to use this time to improve the lights at their AAA stadium in Buffalo, they could have started seeking contractors when it was clear that it was possible that Canada wasn't going to clear them and finalize it when Canada made their decision. Now they are going to end up being 60-game road dogs.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Referring to the statement in this Tweet.

Would have been better off to use this time to improve the lights at their AAA stadium in Buffalo, now they are going to end up being 60-game road dogs.

Naw, they will still be favored over the Marlins and Orioles.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Would have been better off to use this time to improve the lights at their AAA stadium in Buffalo, they could have started seeking contractors when it was clear that it was possible that Canada wasn't going to clear them and finalize it when Canada made their decision. Now they are going to end up being 60-game road dogs.

I could see some upper-level MLB suit saying "so what else beyond better lighting does the MLB get for this significant investment in a minor league park?" and the answer was "goodwill/nothing" and the idea died right there on the conference room table.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I could see some upper-level MLB suit saying "so what else beyond better lighting does the MLB get for this significant investment in a minor league park?" and the answer was "goodwill/nothing" and the idea died right there on the conference room table.

Yeah, I imagine Buffalo's ownership would have to have contributed something. The Buffalo Bisons are owned by Robert Rich who has a net worth of $6+ Billion, higher than most MLB owners. Could have negotiated a series with fans in a future season in Buffalo and turned it into a win/win.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

MLB to the city of Buffalo: be happy we didn't contract you!

2 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Improving lights at AAA / Too many Rogers $$$, sad to say. 

If there's a possibility of the BJs being guests at a major league park, I would like to see, on the conflict dates, four-team doubleheaders, with games at 1 or 1.30 and 7.30. 

I haven't read about consideration of what seems like an obvious solution: BJs play home games at Yankee Stadium or Citi Field (avoiding extra home games for the NYYs and Mets whenever possible by using the other field) --  New York City no longer a Covid hot spot, recent and well equipped (if, in one case, despicable) ballparks, flexibility of two fields, central location for AL East and NL East games, a zillion empty hotel rooms (and offices), cardboard fans in place, and no Cito factor. I can see how the NYYs would not want to help a  division rival -- more accurately, I can see Steinbrenner thinking that way. NY State may be miffed at the Buffalo snub or unhappy about more potentially viral non-New Yorkers coming into the State, but a reasonable payment should cure that.

It would be strange, but refreshing, for MLB to do something that makes sense for a change.

A source said other than the Orioles, no other major-league clubs are willing to provide extended assistance to the Jays, who were denied access to play in the Rogers Centre in Toronto by the Canadian government, which is concerned about cross-border travel during the pandemic.

I can't imagine Maryland approving it when Pennsylvania didn't, especially with Baltimore tightening restrictions yesterday. The number of new positive tests in the city announced today was double the amount announced yesterday 

Maybe the fact that the state owns the Hilton where all the players and staff would presumably stay will help. I'm not sure that pointing to economic impact will be enough to overcome health risks.

The fact that Pennsylvania already publicly shot down the Jays also would seem to make it more likely that Maryland will do so. Maryland wouldn't be going out on a limb to deny them. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I can't imagine Maryland approving it when Pennsylvania didn't, especially with Baltimore tightening restrictions yesterday. The number of new positive tests in the city announced today was double the amount announced yesterday 

Maybe the fact that the state owns the Hilton where all the players and staff would presumably stay will help. I'm not sure that pointing to economic impact will be enough to overcome health risks.

This whole Blue Jays thing is NUTS!!!  The Traveling Blue Jays.  Handle them with care.  Will one of my brethren please post the video?  I don't know how.

44 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The fact that Pennsylvania already publicly shot down the Jays also would seem to make it more likely that Maryland will do so. Maryland wouldn't be going out on a limb to deny them. 

There's probably a lot of factors going on in this decision. Mayor Young would obviously be against it - especially after mandating everyone has to wear a mask outside of the house in Baltimore City and closing indoor restaurants again. Governor Hogan might be more into the idea, but like you mentioned, there isn't a lot of reward for the risk. If the Blue Jays have COVID sweep through their makeshift-Camden-Yards based clubhouse, that's going to be a bad look from a PR-standpoint.

But, I'm sure there's also other considerations going on too. The O's and MLB haven't had the most rosy relationship - maybe this is a bit of an olive branch from the Angelos Brothers to MLB, trying to be a team player for the league. Camden Yards' lease is coming up soon, so maybe there is some internal politics stuff going on too.

16 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, I imagine Buffalo's ownership would have to have contributed something. The Buffalo Bisons are owned by Robert Rich who has a net worth of $6+ Billion, higher than most MLB owners. Could have negotiated a series with fans in a future season in Buffalo and turned it into a win/win.

Great name for a billionaire, tbh.

How many non athletes fly in and out of BWI every day?  How many of them are going through the same level of rigorous testing as ML players?  How will 50 additional people traveling into Baltimore increase the risk level in a city of 500,000+ people?

The risk is barely more than zero.  And it creates goodwill with MLB which the Orioles could definitely use.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

How many non athletes fly in and out of BWI every day?  How many of them are going through the same level of rigorous testing as ML players?  How will 50 additional people traveling into Baltimore increase the risk level in a city of 500,000+ people?

The risk is barely more than zero.  And it creates goodwill with MLB which the Orioles could definitely use.

I was with you, until the last sentence. I think MLB needs to give the Orioles some goodwill, but thats just me.