Wilkerson breaks finger will miss significant time

Roll Tide

Perhaps the whole abbreviated season

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/baltimore-orioles

Orioles utilityman Stevie Wilkerson received an unfortunate diagnosis tonight, as Jon Meoli of the Baltimore Sun was among those to cover on Twitter. Skipper Brandon Hyde says that Wilkerson has suffered a phalanx fracture in his left ring finger.

The expectation is that the injury will sideline Wilkerson for a “significant” period of time, according to Hyde. The precise anticipated timeline isn’t clear, but there obviously isn’t all that much season to work with — particularly given the lack of minor-league rehab opportunities.

5 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I feel bad for Wilkerson, but on a baseball level, I'm not sure we really needed to see more of Wilkerson to know what he is: a replacement player with a bit of versatility.

Yeah, hard to argue with this. Tough break for him but Velazquez gives the same defensive versatility  plus the ability to play SS effectively, soemthing Wilkerson could not really do. Velazquez also brings more speed but I'll give Wilkerson the pitching edge. :D

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I feel bad for Wilkerson, but on a baseball level, I'm not sure we really needed to see more of Wilkerson to know what he is: a replacement player with a bit of versatility.

He is far below replacement player.  Was he on the 40 man roster?  Is he going to be paid a major league salary? I hope he gets paid in full. 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, hard to argue with this. Tough break for him but Velazquez gives the same defensive versatility  plus the ability to play SS effectively, soemthing Wilkerson could not really do. Velazquez also brings more speed but I'll give Wilkerson the pitching edge. :D

Wilkerson is a Hall of Fame pitcher.

?

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

He is far below replacement player. 

Last year Wilkerson had a 76 OPS+.  That's pretty close to the median or average performance for a utility player.  I guess you could argue that teams shouldn't have utility players, but that's nonsense.  Willie Bloomquist was more-or-less Stevie Wilkerson for 14 years.

7 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Last year Wilkerson had a 76 OPS+.  That's pretty close to the median or average performance for a utility player.  I guess you could argue that teams shouldn't have utility players, but that's nonsense.  Willie Bloomquist was more-or-less Stevie Wilkerson for 14 years.

I am guessing Bloomquist could field.  Wilkerson they never played at second, short or third as the few games they tried him there he was a disaster.  Wilkerson is not a utility infielder.  

Tough break for Stevie.    I think Elias/Hyde would have put him on the OD roster had he not gotten hurt.  They valued his versatility.    He is a platoon player.  783 OPS vs righties last year and could not hit lefties.   His overall OPS does not show his value to the team.

Will Herrera be better?  My guess is we will find out unless Elias finds someone on the waiver wire he likes better.

12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tough break for Stevie.    I think Elias/Hyde would have put him on the OD roster had he not gotten hurt.  They valued his versatility.    He is a platoon player.  783 OPS vs righties last year and could not hit lefties.   His overall OPS does not show his value to the team.

Will Herrera be better?  My guess is we will find out unless Elias finds someone on the waiver wire he likes better.

He might be the worst player in the major leagues last season other than Chris Davis. But whatever.  I guy who is a bad fielder at every position.  Had a very low OBP even against right handed pitchers. 

38 minutes ago, atomic said:

He might be the worst player in the major leagues last season other than Chris Davis. But whatever.  I guy who is a bad fielder at every position.  Had a very low OBP even against right handed pitchers. 

Yet Elias and Hyde were still probably going to put him on the team.