Marlins ( and now Phillies) season(s) on pause, O's to host Yankees on Wednesday and Thursday

MurphDogg

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Interesting point. I don't think it is a given that the Orioles will be willing to play on Wednesday, nor that it is a given that the state will allow the Marlins in.

The odds that someone on that team or coaching staff is still going to test positive in the next few days is high right?

59 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Sounds like tomorrow's game is officially canceled (not being played in Baltimore as was thought to be a possibility).

This Binney guy seems to be the go-to source for a quote if you want to write an article slamming a sports league re: COVID 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/05/09/epidemiologist-blasts-ufc-president-dana-white-mishandling-coronavirus-protocol/

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The odds that someone on that team or coaching staff is still going to test positive in the next few days is high right?

If 3 people test positive one day and 12 the next day, then yeah, odds are good that number is still rising.

I think if the state or the O's put pressure on the league it will be behind the scenes and the league will have a come to Jesus moment seemingly on their own, they don't want to look any weaker on this stuff.

22 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

This Binney guy seems to be the go-to source for a quote if you want to write an article slamming a sports league re: COVID 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/05/09/epidemiologist-blasts-ufc-president-dana-white-mishandling-coronavirus-protocol/

Not surprising he is trying to get famous.

Feel free to find an epidemiologist who says that the Marlins should play as soon as Wednesday, haven't seen one yet.

• Upvote 2

I'm probably late but here is the "official" press release on mlb.com, including Manfred's interview. What a f-ing JOKE! Doesn't even mention 14 people contracting the virus. Doesn't mention ANYONE contracting the virus. I didn't even click Manfred's interview because I'm certain it is even MORE :bs: then the article is!

"8 minutes ago."

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-orioles-yankees-phillies-postponed

F Manfred!

F MLB!

This season is done. Sad but true.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Just got a fantasy alert that the CWS/CLE game had been postponed. Thought it might have been another domino. Turns out it was just rain ?

White Sox manager Rick Renteria is away from the team to undergo COVID-19 testing:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/07/rick-renteria-out-while-awaiting-coronavirus-test-results.html

10 minutes ago, scOtt said:

I'm probably late but here is the "official" press release on mlb.com, including Manfred's interview. What a f-ing JOKE! Doesn't even mention 14 people contracting the virus. Doesn't mention ANYONE contracting the virus. I didn't even click Manfred's interview because I'm certain it is even MORE :bs: then the article is!

"8 minutes ago."

https://www.mlb.com/news/marlins-orioles-yankees-phillies-postponed

F Manfred!

F MLB!

This season is done. Sad but true.

Manfred losing his job would be welcome 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Manfred losing his job would be welcome 

Won't happen. :( The owners like him just fine. He spouts the company line ALWAYS and does their bidding without question. A perfect puppet for them.

12 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Marlins, Phillies, and now the Indians and White Sox.

Season is done.

White Sox and Indians were rained out and have a doubleheader scheduled tomorrow.

Yankees and Phillies was postponed today out of caution in two areas: thorough cleaning of the visitors clubhouse before the Yankees go in there, and testing to confirm that the Phillies don't have any issues from incidental contact with Marlin players (and I bet they won't, duration of contact is a key, often ignored, factor in transmission and most in game contact between players is very brief).

So all is not lost yet.  The state of the Marlins is an issue, but they are the only team in MLB so far with more than 2 or 3 cases simultaneously.  If 2 or 3 more team outbreaks like Marlins happens, then I think the season could be in danger.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

White Sox and Indians were rained out and have a doubleheader scheduled tomorrow.

Yankees and Phillies was postponed today out of caution in two areas: thorough cleaning of the visitors clubhouse before the Yankees go in there, and testing to confirm that the Phillies don't have any issues from incidental contact with Marlin players (and I bet they won't, duration of contact is a key, often ignored, factor in transmission and most in game contact between players is very brief).

So all is not lost yet.  The state of the Marlins is an issue, but they are the only team in MLB so far with more than 2 or 3 cases simultaneously.  If 2 or 3 more team outbreaks like Marlins happens, then I think the season could be in danger.

I think those events are inevitable.  We got to Game 4 before the first clubhouse-wide outbreak.

8 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I’m keeping an eye on the Reds.  Chapman tested positive, then Moustakas and another player were scratched yesterday not feeling well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Not surprising he is trying to get famous.

Feel free to find an epidemiologist who says that the Marlins should play as soon as Wednesday, haven't seen one yet.

Epidemiologists will always fall on the side of caution, but as Fauci even says - there’s a reason we don’t leave every decision to epidemiologists. There’s a myriad of interests that need to be considered and balanced. 

Ultimately I just don’t see it as the damning shot it seems to be presented as.