MLB.com top 30 prospects (updated with 2020 draft)

Jammer7

On 8/11/2020 at 7:20 PM, RZNJ said:

Depends on how much developing it still needed in the minors.   I think a team that is conscious of overall team budget doesn't want to use service time on guys that are not ready for the ML level.   Yes, you can make the argument that the ultimate learning experience is at the ML level but I think this current regime believes in having players as fully baked as possible before bringing them up.

Case in point in Mountcastle.   He had a very good year last year but they want him to work on his plate discipline and defense.   I don't think he's being held back to delay his free agent status 6 years from now.   He's being delayed because they feel his chances of succeeding at the ML level will be better later rather than sooner if he can fine tune a few things.   I don't really believe that an all bat player like Mountcastle whose offensive profile doesn't shout "superstar" is being held back for service time issues.   It is a byproduct of having him as ready as possible when he eventually gets called up.

I'm sure his eventual promotion shortly after the projected cutoff for super 2 status was coincidental.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's hilarious.  Have we seen someone move up like that in the prospect rankings after getting promoted to the majors before?

Not sure, but it is quite dumb. Yes, the guy who has hit .356/.420/.600 in his first 50 MLB plate appearances has now proven his prospect bonafides.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

That's hilarious.  Have we seen someone move up like that in the prospect rankings after getting promoted to the majors before?

Assuming that the standard for rookie status is the same following this short season as it has been for normal length seasons, it’s going to be touch and go whether Mountcastle loses his rookie status by the end of the season.   He’s on pace for 135 PA if he plays every remaining game, 129 and below is the cutoff for rookie status., He’s played in every game since his call-up, though he entered late in Game 1 of yesterday’s doubleheader.   I’m hoping the O’s sit him twice so he ends up at 127 or so, just so I can watch you go ballistic.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Assuming that the standard for rookie status is the same following this short season as it has been for normal length seasons, it’s going to be touch and go whether Mountcastle loses his rookie status by the end of the season.   He’s on pace for 135 PA if he plays every remaining game, 129 and below is the cutoff for rookie status., He’s played in every game since his call-up, though he entered late in Game 1 of yesterday’s doubleheader.   I’m hoping the O’s sit him twice so he ends up at 127 or so, just so I can watch you go ballistic.  

Worked out well for Hayes' Rookie of the Year campaign.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Worked out well for Hayes' Rookie of the Year campaign.

Hey, it kept him on our top prospect list last off-season.   That’s what really counts!  ?

I don’t worry about this stuff.    Far more interested in how the players perform once they’re up, and whether they stay healthy.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Hey, it kept him on our top prospect list last off-season.   That’s what really counts!  ?

I don’t worry about this stuff.    Far more interested in how the players perform once they’re up, and whether they stay healthy.  

I think it's petty little stuff that should be beneath our GM's notice.

Instead it looks like he trying to stack the prospect ranking lists.

On 9/5/2020 at 10:01 AM, Frobby said:

It’s ABs, not PAs.  Hays had 138 PA coming into this year and 128 ABs.