Akin promoted, Mullins optioned

MurphDogg

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

Could always move Wojo or Leblanc to the pen.  And although likely they may have a trade for Cobb in the works or something. 

It probably depends on how Akin looks if he starts tomorrow. 

Cobb has looked solid but is still owed a good bit of money. I bet Orioles would have to eat a bunch. 

Let’s hope Akin pitches well and see what happens.  

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Then it will be a one and done unless they go to 6 starters. 

Hard to say.  A lot depends on how Akin, Eshelman and Wojo pitch.    Wojo spot in the rotation is not nailed down.  He could go to long relief.    Eshelman has options which makes him vulnerable to being sent down.  And Akin has to show he is ready for the majors.  Could go several different ways.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hard to say.  A lot depends on how Akin, Eshelman and Wojo pitch.    Wojo spot in the rotation is not nailed down.  He could go to long relief.    Eshelman has options which makes him vulnerable to being sent down.  And Akin has to show he is ready for the majors.  Could go several different ways.

I'm sure they have a plan that isn't based on the outcome of one extremely small sample size game by Akin, or Wojo's next start, or Leblanc's.   Not that it couldn't change if results are extreme.

But when you have 7 games in 6 days and one of your starters is on bereavement leave, you need a 6th starter, so bringing him up for a 1 and back, especially if it fits when his next "turn" would be in Bowie, is definitely a possibility.

16 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I'm sure they have a plan that isn't based on the outcome of one extremely small sample size game by Akin, or Wojo's next start, or Leblanc's.   Not that it couldn't change if results are extreme.

But when you have 7 games in 6 days and one of your starters is on bereavement leave, you need a 6th starter, so bringing him up for a 1 and back, especially if it fits when his next "turn" would be in Bowie, is definitely a possibility.

Yes. Very intelligent response as usual. 

47 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Sure its possible.   But Akin is hopefuly a part of the future.  So if he has a good start they probably do not send him back down.     Wojo is probably not part of the future.  He here at the present and he is out of options.  And the O's are not going to waiver him now .  So he could slide over to the pen.  Eshelman has options, is a soft tosser and is not esblished in the majors.   He is more likely to go back to Bowie if Akin has a good start.

Know that Milone and LeBlanc are fill-in starters with experience.    They can be traded to make room if there are starters that are pushing up from Bowie.  But someone has to want them.   The O's are not going to reliease them in a pandemic and loss depth for nothing.

So yes I think there is an overall plan in the works here.  

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sure its possible.   But Akin is hopefuly a part of the future.  So if he has a good start they probably do not send him back down.     Wojo is probably not part of the future.  He here at the present and he is out of options.  And the O's are not going to waiver him now .  So he could slide over to the pen.  Eshelman has options, is a soft tosser and is not esblished in the majors.   He is more likely to go back to Bowie if Akin has a good start.

Know that Milone and LeBlanc are fill-in starters with experience.    They can be traded to make room if there are starters that are pushing up from Bowie.  But someone has to want them.   The O's are not going to reliease them in a pandemic and loss depth for nothing.

So yes I think there is an overall plan in the works here.  

I would assume Eshelman, Hess, and Phillips are most in danger of being sent down. They all have options and seem to be the worst three on the team.

Just now, VaBird1 said:

I would assume Eshelman, Hess, and Phillips are most in danger of being sent down. They all have options and seem to be the worst three on the team.

In our dream world, Eshelman is sent down after tonight's start and we bring up Mountcastle, so we only play one game with just 3 outfielders.   Then when Means comes off the DL it's either Hess going down or Akin going back to continue to work in Bowie.

Just now, SteveA said:

In our dream world, Eshelman is sent down after tonight's start and we bring up Mountcastle, so we only play one game with just 3 outfielders.   Then when Means comes off the DL it's either Hess going down or Akin going back to continue to work in Bowie.

I know we don't want to "yoyo" prospects.   But how much of a yoyo is it to bring Akin up for two days?   It's not like a normal season when he would have to pack his things, leave Norfolk, find a way to Baltimore, find a place to stay in Baltimore for a short period, live out of a suitcase while up here, then go back to Norfolk.

Assuming he is living somewhere near Bowie, it just means instead of driving 5 minutes to Bowie Stadium, today and tomorrow he drives 25 minutes to Nats Park.   He still sleeps in the same bed each night.

20 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I know we don't want to "yoyo" prospects.   But how much of a yoyo is it to bring Akin up for two days?   It's not like a normal season when he would have to pack his things, leave Norfolk, find a way to Baltimore, find a place to stay in Baltimore for a short period, live out of a suitcase while up here, then go back to Norfolk.

Assuming he is living somewhere near Bowie, it just means instead of driving 5 minutes to Bowie Stadium, today and tomorrow he drives 25 minutes to Nats Park.   He still sleeps in the same bed each night.

IMO its not about how much trouble it is to travel or relocate.  Its about is he ready to play in the majors or does he have more ro work on in Bowie.

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

I don't get the general dislike for Velazquez on this board.   Is he because he doesn't hit?   He is a defensive backup.  I don't expect him to hit much.  If he did he would be a starter.  The guy can play defense.

If you can't hit, if you play more than a game or two as a substitute you are a negative part of the team. So you have to hit some.  The D never can really make up for being a hole in the lineup. That is old fashioned National League ball. 

5 minutes ago, weams said:

If you can't hit, if you play more than a game or two as a substitute you are a negative part of the team. So you have to hit some.  The D never can really make up for being a hole in the lineup. That is old fashioned National League ball. 

Unless your a great framer!  That's so valuable you don't have to be able to do anything else.  ?