It's time for the OH to turn the page

wildcard

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think we are going to close the book on this season in the next week or so.

Maybe from the perspective of WC's giddy, SSS-fueled, playoff optimism. But if Mountcastle stays in the lineup, Akin  and Kremer join soon and Hays rejoins there are some interesting stories to track for the last 30 games. That combined with what looks like a Santander breakout and hope for Means to regain form, at least for me, all is not lost.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, AnythingO's said:

Maybe from the perspective of WC's giddy, SSS-fueled, playoff optimism. But if Mountcastle stays in the lineup, Akin  and Kremer join soon and Hays rejoins there are some interesting stories to track for the last 30 games. That combined with what looks like a Santander breakout and hope for Means to regain form, at least for me, all is not lost.

I meant as far as chances for the postseason.

On 8/14/2020 at 1:34 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

Right.  It's real like if you are running the 100m dash against Usain Bolt and he fell down at the starting gun.  You're actually ahead of Bolt, you're winning a real race with Usain Bolt. But you also have a pretty strong suspicion as you glance to your sides that something ain't right, and it won't last.  Because you know with 100% certainty that the reality is that Usain Bolt is a heck of a lot faster than you are.

That’s a perfect analogy.

but you left out that Usain Bolt is having a relaxing cigarette at the starting line while you run 90 yards and he’s still going to Beat you.

Edited by Philip

I mentioned this a couple days ago in another thread, but improvement in baseball is much different than improvement in basketball or football. Because of the nature of those games, one truly meaningful guy can transform a team. That’s really not true in baseball, which is the most individual team sport.

In baseball our rebuild is literally from the ground up. We’ve had to create or remake every aspect of the organization, and even though that is progressing apace, it doesn’t show up on the field immediately, like in basketball/football, where a Peyton or MJ can bring lasting success.

This team is better than last year, and could have some additional wins by now if Mike weren’t so reluctant to call up prospects, but the results of the rebuild are a successful and regular pipeline of good and inexpensive players, and that process isn’t complete yet.

I Just hope we can stay around .500, beat the Bosox and Jays and win a few against the NYs.
that will be successful.

53 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

I don't know about giddy but certainly a lot better than last year.   With the White Sox and Jays playing better .500 may not be a contender.  However, I agree we may see some more young guys from Bowie in the next few weeks.

I'm not inclined to sell low and give up on this team. Lost 6 in a row while Toronto has won 6.  Several bats have gone cold. But Mountcastle is an upgrade in the lineup, and Iglesias sounds like he'll be back on Wednesday -- another upgrade. Best bullpen guys have gotten a few days off with no lead to protect.  Starting pitching is what it is.  Surely not a top contender, but teams that finish eighth in the league usually have weaknesses.  Starting pitching weaknesses can be hidden to some extent with a solid bullpen -- especially in a short season.