Some more moves on the horizon?

Sports Guy

Why now? I just updated my post about what other teams need, with a bit of detail about guys who need second baseman, but if Mike is interested in improving the team now, without jeopardizing the future, why did he wait so long?

Is it possible that Davis is also not long for this world?

I think one thing to keep in mind even with expanded rosters and only a 60 game season they wanted to make sure they had enough pitching depth. Close to midway point now, trade deadline coming soon. I can’t see them continuing to pitch LeBlanc over Akin much longer. 

I would still be surprised to see Diaz this year. Was hoping to see him. 

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Why now? I just updated my post about what other teams need, with a bit of detail about guys who need second baseman, but if Mike is interested in improving the team now, without jeopardizing the future, why did he wait so long?

Is it possible that Davis is also not long for this world?

Because they want and need to start looking at these young kids.  They don’t have much left to prove in the minors.

• Upvote 2

I can’t foresee getting much of anything for anyone in the rotation so I think if we see any moves it will be something like a give away or DFA rather than a trade where we get anything back worth talking about. Best case scenario really is getting Cobb out but considering the O’s will be paying most of his salary anyway they may as well keep him.

2 minutes ago, oriole said:

I can’t foresee getting much of anything for anyone in the rotation so I think if we see any moves it will be something like a give away or DFA rather than a trade where we get anything back worth talking about. Best case scenario really is getting Cobb out but considering the O’s will be paying most of his salary anyway they may as well keep him.

I agree. It’s possible a team may want Milone not that you would get much for him. 

Diaz not being on the 40-man is fairly irrelevant, since he has to be on the 40-man in the off-season anyway. The offseason is when you feel the 40-man roster crunch. It is more meaningful for guys like Bradish and Hall who don't have to be added until after 2021, and will thus definitely not come up (not that there was much of a chance with Hall anyway).

Likewise, I expect this to be an argument against calling up Rutschman late next season, because otherwise he wouldn't have to be on the 40-man until after the 2022 season, which is why I think May-June 2022 is his target date.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Diaz not being on the 40-man is fairly irrelevant, since he has to be on the 40-man in the off-season anyway. The offseason is when you feel the 40-man roster crunch. It is more meaningful for guys like Bradish and Hall who don't have to be added until after 2021, and will thus definitely not come up (not that there was much of a chance with Hall anyway).

Likewise, I expect this to be an argument against calling up Rutschman late next season, because otherwise he wouldn't be on the 40-man until after the 2022 season.

Hall definitely could be up next year. 

Rutschman should see ML time next year.

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

Likewise, I expect this to be an argument against calling up Rutschman late next season, because otherwise he wouldn't have to be on the 40-man until after the 2022 season, which is why I think May-June 2022 is his target date.

I honestly don't remember, did Elias put anyone on the 40 last year so he could call them up late in the season?

They just had Doug Brocail on MASN's Inside the Yard podcast and he said something along the lines of that there will be pitchers called up this season that the fans probably are not expecting to see.  I did a quick google search for the exact quote but could not find it. 

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I honestly don't remember, did Elias put anyone on the 40 last year so he could call them up late in the season?

We just freed up a spot on the 40 today with Smith DFA.

Edit:  Just realized I was wrong because Williams was added to the 40 man.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, although Mountcastle was the only real candidate. Akin and Kremer less so, McKenna if they really wanted to add a glove first outfielder, but they understandably went with Mason Williams instead who actually hit last year, and at AAA instead of AA.

I don't think adding them to the 40-man roster in September is what held any of those 4 back from being added though.

I would think Rutschman will be up sometime next summer. A few reasons being: he’ll be ready and past being able to be kept down (he could probably outperform our current catchers now), catchers only have so many years in those knees, and you probably want to get him some experience calling games at ML level so he’s used to the competition by 2022 which is when I expect Hall and Rodriguez to be in the rotation permanently.

I think Rutschman is likely ready next summer, but I expect the fact that he would otherwise not have to be added to the 40-man roster that off-season to be an argument raised against his coming up.

Next year will be his age 23 season. If they hold him back until (2 plus weeks into) 2022, they get control of his 2028 season, his age 30 season, which as a catcher would likely be the end of his prime. The question then becomes whether 2 months or so of his age 23 season is more valuable to the Orioles than a full season of his age 30 season. If the Orioles aren't competitive, I expect that answer may be no.

I hope both he and the Orioles are doing very well next year which would force the issue.

• Upvote 1