Miguel Castro traded to Mets for LHP Kevin Smith and SS Victor Gonzalez

MurphDogg

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It could be based on how well Castro does .... perhaps 2 or 3 different scenarios. If he sucks they just get some cash. 

Realistically Castro was never going to pitch in another meaningful game for us during his Oriole tenure.  So no need to waste money, and at least we get to add to our SP depth.  

The reigning Minor League Pitcher of the Year:

https://www.milb.com/binghamton/news/mets-announce-2019-minor-league-awards-includes-three-rumble-ponies-310890736

The BP annual also gives the detail 0 HR allowed to LHB last year (6 total in the 117.0 innings).

He also seems to have dropped this one on the Baysox in his second AA game last July 25th, when grown man Carlos Perez got one of those 6 HR's:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2019_07_25_bowaax_binaax_1&t=g_box&sid=milb

https://theathletic.com/2035815/2020/09/01/myriad-os-thoughts-dealing-miguel-castro-scouts-takes-on-lefty-kevin-smith/

MLB Scout’s take from 2020 spring training: “Interesting kid. Tall, slender lefty with a sneaky fastball with some deception. It sat at 90-92 mph. Pretty good feel for a curveball, throws it 75 to 77 (mph) and has an average changeup. He showed some real feel for pitching and he’s a strike-thrower. To me, he looks at least like a possible, bottom-end-of-the rotation starter.

Pro career: Smith was named the Mets’ Minor League Pitcher of the Year in 2019 after going 5-5 with a 3.05 ERA in 17 starts with High-A St. Lucie and then 3-2 with a 3.45 ERA in six starts at Double-A Binghamton. In two years as a pro, he has struck out 158 batters and walked 45 in 140 innings.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The impending raise for Castro had a bit to do with moving him.  I think we took the best offer.  We pretty much had best case scenario happens as far as performance goes for the players we could've traded.  Cobb, Givens, Castro, Milone, and even Iglesias performed as good as anyone could have hoped.  We were able to move three of them.  Now going into 2021 we only have five guys making more than the min and either on a FA deal/in Arb.  Davis, Cobb, Iglesias(if we keep him), Mancini, and Alberto.  Elias has done some serious house cleaning.  

I think we did well on what we had to trade.  We didn't get back a "star", but we didn't exactly trade one.  We got back a bunch of darts to throw at our next competitive window, and hopefully they are at least role players.  We still lack high end SP prospects, and depth at SS/3B.  

2021 is going to be rough  because the SP looks like a mess.  The bullpen has now lost two late inning studs.  Our lineup will be fun to watch, but it's looking like 2022 will be the year we could start to make a move.  A 162 game season without an expanded playoff field is going to be real tough for us in our division.  

In addition to the players you cite the O's have six other players that will be arbitration eligible this off season.  Nunez, Severino, Wojo, Armstrong, Valaika and Santander.   Elias could non tender or release Wojo and Valaika.

The O's could have some competition for starting spot next spring.  Means, Akins, Lopez, and Kremer.  Plus others that have a chance  like Eshelman, Zimmerman, Baumann, Valdez, and  Kohl Stewart.

The O's have a chance to be better in 2021 depending on who Elias acquire between now and opening day 2021.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

In addition to the players you cite the O's have six other players that will be arbitration eligible this off season.  Nunez, Severino, Wojo, Armstrong, Valaika and Santander.   Elias could non tender or release Wojo and Valaika.

The O's could have some competition for starting spot next spring.  Means, Akins, Lopez, and Kremer.  Plus others that have a chance  like Eshelman, Zimmerman, Baumann, Valdez, and  Kohl Stewart.

The O's have a chance to be better in 2021 depending on who Elias acquire between now and opening day 2021.

Kremer and Lowther should also be on your list as he will be 25 and Sedlock will be 26

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Kremer and Lowther should also be on your list as he will be 25 and Sedlock will be 26

There's gonna be a ton of possibilities. Late in the year we could even see one of Grayson or Hall. 

Also, Josh Rogers is coming back from TJ surgery and could be a factor at some point later in the year. Even the recently acquired Smith if he pitches well in AAA. 

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I did included Kremer in the rotation.  I doubt that Lowther or Sedlock will break camp with the O's in 2021 since they were not even added to the Bowie camp.   They probably have to spend some time at AAA.  

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

There's gonna be a ton of possibilities. Late in the year we could even see one of Grayson or Hall. 

Also, Josh Rogers is coming back from TJ surgery and could be a factor at some point later in the year. Even the recently acquired Smith if he pitches well in AAA. 

Wow you are very optimistic.   I don't expect to see Grayson or Hall in 2021.  And Smith probably begins the season at AA since he only pitched 6 games there and does not have a solid third pitch yet.

Just now, wildcard said:

Wow you are very optimistic.   I don't expect to see Grayson or Hall in 2021.  And Smith probably begins the season at AA since he only pitched 6 games there and does not have a solid third pitch yet.

Well, anything can happen. I don't necessarily think any of those things are that likely, but Grayson and Hall are the kind of talents that could suddenly become un-ignorable. But it would be a long shot for sure.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well, anything can happen. I don't necessarily think any of those things are that likely, but Grayson and Hall are the kind of talents that could suddenly become un-ignorable. But it would be a long shot for sure.

How fast Rodriguez and Hall develop certainly impacts the rebuild.  GrayRod probably begins at Frederick and Hall at Bowie.  They could go through a couple of levels during the season.   But then there is the service time issue that caused Elias to hold back Mountcastle from getting a late season callup.   That could happen to both of them.

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's a longer shot for Grayson than Hall. It'll be interesting to see how teams (particularly the O's) decided to progress players next year (assuming a normal season). With a season lost (albeit both Hall and Rodriguez are at the Bowie camp), the O's could choose to be a bit more aggressive with the promotions compared to where they were a season ago.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/baltimore-orioles/payroll/2021/

Here's a list that shows.

Bryan Holaday listed as Arb 4.  Any one even know what that means?