Miguel Castro traded to Mets for LHP Kevin Smith and SS Victor Gonzalez

MurphDogg

Callis on Smith from Melewski's blog today:

“Smith, he’s not a radar gun guy - low 90s, but he’s got great extension on his delivery, high spin rates, it’s a lot of swings and misses on the fastball. He’s got a slider with late bite, that gets swings and misses, too. He can mix in a changeup and throws a lot of strikes. I like Kevin Smith and I can see him being a No. 4 starter in a good rotation. The fastball velocity, it’s kind of ordinary, fringy to average, but his fastball plays as a solid pitch because of the extension, spin rates and his ability to command it.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Callis on Smith from Melewski's blog today:

I'd comped him to Matusz based on height/weight, but funky lefty with the whiffs also evokes BJ Ryan some in my memory; even a poor man's version of that would serve very nicely for '22 on.  He was a swingman some at UGa before being a Junior year riser and having early success as a SP prospect.

Can't wait to see how MLB innings get parceled out to Baumann, Kremer, Akin, Lowther, Smith, Wells and Zimmermann in a couple years if Hall and Rodriguez can hold down jobs and Means can kind of Keuchel on.   Could Three and Flee eclipse Five and Dive?

On 9/1/2020 at 2:50 PM, wildcard said:

How fast Rodriguez and Hall develop certainly impacts the rebuild.  GrayRod probably begins at Frederick and Hall at Bowie.  They could go through a couple of levels during the season.   But then there is the service time issue that caused Elias to hold back Mountcastle from getting a late season callup.   That could happen to both of them.

We’ve heard through Tony that Hall was having command problems in his work at the alternate site.   Haven’t heard much about Rodriguez.   But hopefully they’ve had some pretty intensive coaching over there and the year hadn’t been a total waste.    So, I’d hope that each could at least start a level above where they were in 2019 and then move up again after  5-14 starts if they’re looking good.  

• 2 weeks later...

Gonzalez got a $250 k signing bonus from the Mets.   From MLBTR:

Baseball America’s Ben Badler described Gonzalez as having “a good chance to stay at shortstop” since he has “a quick first step, covers ground well and has a strong arm for the position.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/09/orioles-acquire-victor-gonzalez-from-mets-release-chandler-shepherd.html

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Gonzalez got a $250 k signing bonus from the Mets.   From MLBTR:

Baseball America’s Ben Badler described Gonzalez as having “a good chance to stay at shortstop” since he has “a quick first step, covers ground well and has a strong arm for the position.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/09/orioles-acquire-victor-gonzalez-from-mets-release-chandler-shepherd.html

So 250, 275 and 300k bonus guys, international and 17 yo.  SS and CF.  I think Mike Elias has a type.

2018/2019 draftees for non-international targets. 

Any more SS/CF guys in that range that played for the Braves or Astros?  Haha

edit: 2018 J2 signings, https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/2018-mlb-international-signings-tracker/

Braves limited, so going http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=682853#/career/R/hitting/2020/ALL ($300k bonus, might be high for Milone with a second player...but I have little to no gauge for these young guys).

Astros have lots of options from 2018, but http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?sid=milb&player_id=682695#/career/R/hitting/2020/ALL

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...