Valaika makes a bid to become an everyday player

wildcard

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

Valaika now has a  805 OPS after going 4 for 4 yesterday.   He is 7 for his last 12.   He had 771 OPS in August in 66 at bats.   His big problem has been hitting right handed pitching.  All 4 hits yesterday were against right handers.   If he continue to hit when Alberto returns Hyde may want to find a way to keep Valaika in the lineup.

Valaika may find some at bats at SS since Iglesias continues to have some problem with his quad.

Ruiz is currently has a 686 OPS and a .284 OBP.  When Alberto returns he may play a lot more 3B opening  2B for Valaika.

Interesting that Herrera gets called up and Valaika going 4 for 4 that evening.

So my thought is that his career average differential is about 40 points. The problem is against the LHP he’s only .244 avg and .312 OBP player. His minor league OBP in 7 seasons is almost identical to his OBP  vs LHP -312/.316.

Could he be a late bloomer ? Possibly....but it’s not probable. 

• Upvote 1

You guys can make fun all you want.  Meanwhile, Valaika started at 2B.  Went  2 for 3 with a walk.  Raised his numbers to 289/337/494/831.  

Ruiz went 1 for 4 and his numbers are 198/283/391/680.

Looks like a no brainer to me who should be a regular when Alberto comes back.

31 minutes ago, wildcard said:

You guys can make fun all you want.  Meanwhile, Valaika started at 2B.  Went  2 for 3 with a walk.  Raised his numbers to 289/337/494/831.  

Ruiz went 1 for 4 and his numbers are 198/283/391/680.

Looks like a no brainer to me who should be a regular when Alberto comes back.

Ruiz has looked terrible of late.   I’m fine with playing the hot hand.   But I define a regular as someone who plays even when he’s slumping.   Valaika is not going to become a regular in that sense.    He’s a guy on a nice roll, so why sit him until that’s over?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ruiz has looked terrible of late.   I’m fine with playing the hot hand.   But I define a regular as someone who plays even when he’s slumping.   Valaika is not going to become a regular in that sense.    He’s a guy on a nice roll, so why sit him until that’s over?

I am for playing the hot hand.   My definition of a regular is someone that plays almost everyday because he has earned it.  As far as slumps goes, it depends on how deep the slump is and who is there to replace the player.

I think Weaver's saying "If you want to play more, hit better"  comes to mind.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

Ruiz is not a major league hitter. Low average with some home runs is what you can expect.

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Ruiz is not a major league hitter. Low average with some home runs is what you can expect.

There are plenty of major league hitters like that.    He’s just not a good major league hitter.   He’s hitting .154/.241/.192 over his last 14 games.    That’ll get you benched.  

I have to admit, I thought his swing looked pretty nice and fluid in the early games.    But he looks really uncomfortable right now.  

OH Debbie Downer Mob beating this one into the ground per usual. In a season with so little to be happy about, I'm glad that a guy like Valaika is having a nice streak and helping what should be an utterly terrible team hang around in most games. Maybe a more apt title for the thread would be "Valaika Makes a Bid to Become an Everyday Player on the 2020 Orioles" for proper context.

But what's the point of being right about small sample sizes if you can't SHOW everyone that you're right? This is the way.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

OH Debbie Downer Mob beating this one into the ground per usual. In a season with so little to be happy about, I'm glad that a guy like Valaika is having a nice streak and helping what should be an utterly terrible team hang around in most games. Maybe a more apt title for the thread would be "Valaika Makes a Bid to Become an Everyday Player on the 2020 Orioles" for proper context.

But what's the point of being right about small sample sizes if you can't SHOW everyone that you're right? This is the way.

I don’t think people are being Debbie Downers, they are just being realistic.

His OPS was 595 on August 19.  It was 715 on August 25.

In his last 12 at bats, he has 8 hits and 1 walk.  That’s a hell of a 3 game series.  But that’s all it is.  It’s 3 games.

There really isn’t any need to even start a thread about him much less one talking about him earning an everyday status role.

He has some upside to be a good UTi player.  He showed well at times in Colorado.  He has a future in that role it appears to me.  But that’s it.  Nothing more than that.  No need to pretend he’s something that he’s not.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, wildcard said:

Valaika now has a  805 OPS after going 4 for 4 yesterday.   He is 7 for his last 12.   He had 771 OPS in August in 66 at bats.   His big problem has been hitting right handed pitching.  All 4 hits yesterday were against right handers.   If he continue to hit when Alberto returns Hyde may want to find a way to keep Valaika in the lineup.

Valaika may find some at bats at SS since Iglesias continues to have some problem with his quad.

Ruiz is currently has a 686 OPS and a .284 OBP.  When Alberto returns he may play a lot more 3B opening  2B for Valaika.

Interesting that Herrera gets called up and Valaika going 4 for 4 that evening.

He's got a pair of eights, and he's gone all in with $1.22, an old button, and a batting cage token.  Making his play!