Dean Kremer, the chosen one

MurphDogg

Kremer has made 4 AAA starts, two mediocre and two bad.

I'm not going to pretend like I know how valuable the experience in the secondary camp is and whether it serves as an adequate replacement for his missed AAA starts this year, but he certainly wasn't clearly ready for the Majors months ago like Mountcastle was.

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

I understand what you’re saying, but I respectfully suggest that there was no reason to leave them down, especially because we had so much deadwood up here. I’m curious as to both why Elias kept them down so long, and why he suddenly changed his mind. Based on his past actions as well as his own comments, win/loss record has nothing to do with it.
im certainly not complaining that it has started, but I’m unhappy it took so long.

I hear ya.  I definitely do think his plan andexpectation, much like all of ours based on the roster we fielded on opening day, was to have around a .300 winning percentage. I imagine he waited as long as he did to see if we would come back down to earth as it were. We have not and so here we are. 

Also another thing to remember is that were this a regular length season, this would be pretty early for a lot of these guys to be making their debuts. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Does that mean Elias is going for the playoffs?  O's are 3 back of the Jays and Yanks with 21 to play.

If he was going for the playoffs he would trade Kremer and Diaz for an ace, maybe move Gunnar for a closer or 3B upgrade. In the real world, he unloaded Givens, Castro, and Bleier for prospects. I do not think he is tanking but he is trying to win games within the overall imperative of building for the future.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Kremer has made 4 AAA starts, two mediocre and two bad.

I'm not going to pretend like I know how valuable the experience in the secondary camp is and whether it serves as an adequate replacement for his missed AAA starts this year, but he certainly wasn't clearly ready for the Majors months ago like Mountcastle was.

True, though getting punched in the mouth is what last month cups of coffee are for.   His mid-case in a normal world was probably enough AAA success to earn this sip.   If the group holds up two more years, I think he and Akin are probably the 5/6 behind Means/Baumann/Hall/Rodriguez, and fighting off Smith, Lowther etc for those Swing roles.

I've never seen this guy pitch - he might be Scott Kamieniecki on the next good team; we'll see if the broadcasters have any Bowie insights...even the pregame show is in the DVR.  Festivus!

On 9/6/2020 at 11:54 AM, Roll Tide said:

Yes a few starts here would be good for him next year regardless where he starts.

I'm interested to see how what the repertoire looks like and spin rates on the fastball and curve. He started to improve his slider last year in the AZ Fall League so I want to see if that's still part of his game. His changeup with quite firm and straight last year as well. 

It will be interesting see what the had him working on and if he looks different.

26 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm interesting to see how what the repertoire looks like and spin rates on the fastball and curve. He started to improve his slider last year in the AZ Fall League so I want to see if that's still part of his game. His changeup with quite firm and straight last year as well. 

It will be interesting see what the had him working on and if he looks different.

Hopefully they have been working with him on this stuff. Isn’t that after all the MO of the new group?

1 hour ago, joelala said:

Better late than never. It’s awesome that these young guys are getting a taste of a playoff race of sorts. Props to Elias for deviating from his plan to tank to get them this invaluable experience. I have no issue with how long he’s waited (which actually isn’t even that long at all.)

Do we know that was specifically the plan?

And with guys like Givens and Castro gone, and Santander and Hays lost to injurym, I'm not sure non-blue chip pitching prospects getting their shot (including being able to make mistakes) necessarily derails us from landing a top draft pick. And if they pitch really well, well then that's good news for the rebuild.

16 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

And with guys like Givens and Castro gone, and Santander and Hays lost to injurym, I'm not sure non-blue chip pitching prospects getting their shot (including being able to make mistakes) necessarily derails us from landing a top draft pick. And if they pitch really well, well then that's good news for the rebuild.

True. And no we don’t know for sure that tanking was the plan, but it certainly seems it was closer to the plan than contending for a playoff spot, wouldn’t you agree? Our biggest off season addition signing was Jose Iglesias. 

19 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think Elias said that he was sticking with the plan. Development and acquisition seems to be the plan. I don’t think he cares about winning games. Honestly I would bet he secretly prefers not to. The better the draft slot helps with the plan Right?