Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

20 hours ago, atomic said:

Why do you dislike the Red Sox?  Their players seem pretty likable.

Because they're the Red Sox.  They went from semi-lovable losers who hadn't won the Series since WWI to a swarm of insufferable, entitled locusts in green third alternate jerseys in 15 minutes, in late 2004.  Also, David Ortiz.  And Manny Ramirez. 

I've never seen a fanbase go more quickly from "woe is me" to "whatta ya mean we haven't won the Series in 18 months, the world must be broken".  I'd be happy as could be if they were relegated to the CanAm League for the next 75 or 100 years.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Happens to every team.  Part of the game.

It's not that often that anyone gives up on a guy with a 7.00+ ERA and literally 18 months later he wins the Cy Young.  Mostly because there aren't that many Cy Young winners who had a 7.00 ERA just prior to winning.  Like, probably, two ever.  And I don't know who the other one might be.

On 9/1/2019 at 11:39 PM, BRobinsonfan said:

You know with all this talk about what a breakout season Yastrzemski is having I just realized that Santander is having an even better season.  

In nearly the same amount of playing time Santander has a 2.1 WAR, (to Yaz's 1.9) a higher batting average, an identical .ops+ and they're within 1 of each other in rbi's.    After last night Santander has 16 HR's to Yaz's 18.  Plus, he's only 24 and Yastrzemski is 29.

An excuse to do a frivolous trip into Baseball Reference to visit some fondly remembered players' stats:

If we compare the two Yaz's at the age of 29, which would mean Carl's 1969 season (.255, 40 HR, 111 RBI--Sorry, that's how they tabulated things back then), then they are to each other as what 24-year-old slugging AL outfielder was that same year to Santander? Why, none other than Yaz's Boston teammates, Tony Conigliaro and Reggie Smith! Tony C went .255, 20 HR, 82 RBI (remarkable after the horrible beaning in '67), while Reggie was .309, 25 HR, 93 RBI. OK, their OPSs were .748 (103+) and .895 (142+).

If we look for an Oriole of that season, the closest would be 25-year-old Paul Blair (.285, 26 HR, 76 RBI, with an OPS of .804 [122+]). Dave May was also 25 but had only 131 PAs, Merv Rettenmund was 26, but dragging himself through a poor 226-PA season that gave little hint as to what he would do in 1970 and '71, and Curt Motton was 28, and thus closer in age to the Yaz's than to Santander. Blair's value was, of course, also to a great extent defensive: 1969 marked the first of 7 consecutive Gold Glove awards (eight overall). Buford was 32 and Frank a not-old 33.

I enjoyed that.

5 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

I should clarify, I don't actually root for former O's to fail... far from it.  Nick Markakis and Adam Jones, for example, are long time favorites that I regularly follow and root for... I still hope Nick can get to 3,000 hits. So it's more frustration rather than any ill will towards former O's that go elsewhere and perform well.  And that frustration isn't really directed at the player - it's more focused the organization or just "fate."  It's like with Jake Arrieta... after 3 1/2 frustrating seasons with us it was hard to watch him, practically overnight, turn his whole career around while wearing the uniform of another team.

I don’t mind Arrieta having success elsewhere.  I was fed up with him after his last start with the Orioles. Buck was fed up with him.   Seeing him self destruct almost every game when he had the best stuff on the team was beyond frustrating.  If he stayed with the Orioles he probably would have continued down that path and cost us a playoff birth in 2012.  

You can blame our coaches or whatever but a lot of much less talented pitchers succeeded during  the same time period with the team.  

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's not that often that anyone gives up on a guy with a 7.00+ ERA and literally 18 months later he wins the Cy Young.  Mostly because there aren't that many Cy Young winners who had a 7.00 ERA just prior to winning.  Like, probably, two ever.  And I don't know who the other one might be.

In a very haphazard search, I found that Cliff Lee had a 6.29 ERA (97.33 IP) in 2007 before winning the Cy Young Award the next season (22-3, 2.54 ERA). But, in contrast to the Orioles' decision on Arrieta, the Indians had not let go of Lee--he had won 18 games for them a few seasons before--and reaped the reward.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, LA2 said:

In a very haphazard search, I found that Cliff Lee had a 6.29 ERA (97.33 IP) in 2007 before winning the Cy Young Award the next season (22-3, 2.54 ERA). But, in contrast to the Orioles' decision on Arrieta, the Indians had not let go of Lee--he had won 18 games for them a few seasons before--and reaped the reward.

Good catch.  But Lee was a little different than Arrieta, in that two years before his 6.29 ERA he was 18-5, 3.79.  When the O's gave up on Jake he was 20-25, 5.46 for his career.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Good catch.  But Lee was a little different than Arrieta, in that two years before his 6.29 ERA he was 18-5, 3.79.  When the O's gave up on Jake he was 20-25, 5.46 for his career.

Thanks. And I did acknowledge that difference in my post. C'mon Drungo, don't be so stingy with the rep: it took a lot of time to dig up that obscure CYA factoid!

Twins second baseman Jonathan Schoop, who will be the second-youngest free agent after Castellanos, presents a rather interesting case.

Schoop, 27, lost time at second to rookie Luis Arraez after slumping in early July, but he is playing more of late, and for the season is batting .261 with 21 homers and a .795 OPS in 397 plate appearances.

How rare is Schoop’s power for his position?

His 131 career homers are the most by a second baseman before turning age 28 (minimum 50 percent of games at second). Schoop also has the most homers by any active second baseman since his first full season in 2014, trailing Brian Dozier.

While Schoop also is a good defender and popular teammate, the rap against him in free agency will be his career .295 on-base percentage. Two particularly bad seasons skew that number – 2014, when Schoop’s OBP was .244, and ’18, when he was traded for the first time, from the Orioles to the Brewers, and finished at .266.

Schoop had a .338 OBP in ’17, and is at .307 this season.

No player is perfect. Perhaps Schoop can follow the path of Cespedes, who starting at a similar age increased his OBP from .294 to .354 over a four-year period. The Yankees’ Didi Gregorius (.315 career OBP) and Brewers’ Mike Moustakas (.310) are other examples of players who are valuable despite low OBPs.

Schoop agreed to a one-year, $7.5 million free-agent contract with the Twins after the Brewers non-tendered him last offseason. He figures to do considerably better in his second try at the open market.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Indeed.

Grandfather Carl's full-season totals (before the big 44 in his Triple Crown season at the age of 27): 11; 19; 14; 15; 20; 16.

Of course, it was a different era with a different ball, but no less valid than placing Mike Yaz in that Giants' pantheon.