Instructional League tidbits

Jammer7

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, Moose and Philip will hate this happy-talk filled article, but I just loved it.   I’ll take these two long quotes for my favorites:

[About the infield:]This is the area of greatest depth in the Orioles' system, with Blood getting excited talking about what he’s seen in Sarasota thus far, with new draftees (Jordan Westburg, Anthony Servideo, Coby Mayo), trade acquisitions (Terrin Vavra) and holdovers like Gunnar Henderson, Adam Hall and Rylan Bannon all performing well.

For the first time in a while, the Orioles have a number of big, strong, athletic prospects who can stay on the dirt. Mayo, the team’s fourth-round pick this year, is 6-foot-5 and has been showing off well-above-average power and big-time arm strength at the hot corner. But it might be the combination of the 6-foot-3 Henderson and Westburg that has stood out the most.

“They’re like two thoroughbred stallions,” Blood said. “Both can play shortstop, both can hit and both can run. It’s been really fun seeing them on the field together every day, competing. It’s exciting what our player procurement staff has done bringing in talent.”

[About the Latin American talent]:

Stiven Acevedo, Isaac Bellony and Luis Gonzalez are all paying their first visit to the United States as the key acquisitions in Baltimore’s first notable splash in the international market in years. Bellony signed in July 2018 for $200,000, Acevedo signed in April 2019 for $275,000 and Gonzalez got $475,000 to join the organization in July 2019.

“Gonzalez has ridiculous power, he just needs overall approach refinement, but he can really drive the baseball,” Blood said. “Acevedo is a little taller and leaner, maybe a little bit better athlete with not as much power as Gonzalez. And Bellony is probably a little more advanced approach-wise, but a little less athletic than the other two.

“They’re great player development pieces. It’s exciting, a shot in the arm for the player development system to see players like this in camp.”

Gush!  Sad that my mind will be "mush" when they will become ready for the show!  Oh well but nice to dream on!  Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wonder why we are exposing Peralta in this way.  Seems like we should have just keep him away from the games.

Overall, while we have made picks at the top of the draft the past two years, it appears we have drafted fairly well - at least per Matt Blood sugary tips - and we are generating some real quality and depth all around the diamond.  Good to hear our OF depth is supplemented by the international signings and that our FO thought enough of them to bring them stateside.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I don't see him getting picked.  Do we have the space on the 40 man for him?

I don't know what to say without seeing him, but I doubt he is protected. And even if he is picked, I doubt he would stick for the entire year. That said, if he really has turned some corners, then there is room. It may be at the expense of another prospect, though. 

8 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I don't see him getting picked.  Do we have the space on the 40 man for him?

We have space for 15ish players and we have only talked about protecting around 7-10 guys...so yes, they easily have space.

Of course, you do have to be able to field a ML team and dropping one of these kids off the 40 man exposes them in a way they don’t have to stay on the roster, like you do with the rule 5.  So, it could end up being riskier you put them on the 40 man now.  

That being said, I think we have the room to make sure you don’t lose anyone you could regret.

19 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I found this interesting from MLB.com. Not a ton of info, but a few interesting observations with accompanying quotes from Matt Blood. In particular, this bit on Ofelky Peralta was of interest. 

Among the less famous names, a pair of right-handers have really impressed. Ofelky Peralta has been with the organization since he signed out of the Dominican Republic in September 2013. He’s shown promise, but has yet to pitch above Class A ball. That could change based on what he’s showing now, and the 23-year old pitched well against the Rays.

“He’s made some improvements,” Orioles farm director Matt Blood said. “He’s throwing strikes, in the upper-90s with his fastball. He has a changeup and he’s added a breaking ball.”

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-instructional-league-report

Peralta has teased us before with short stints. But, if he keeps this up, he may get taken in the rule 5. He would have to be a long shot to be protected. Thoughts?

Peralta's walk rate finally came down to respectable levels last year and he was throwing more quality strikes, but his performance when promoted to Frederick was disappointing. I don't see him being taken in the Rule 5 draft. He's still way too raw.

• Upvote 1

These little tidbits are nice, but Blood has been giving company line on guys so far in most interviews. Take the glowing reports with a grain of salt. Not saying these guys aren't looking good, but let's not get too excited based off these comments.

Saying that, I've heard similar things about Henderson and Westburg. Big, athletic players that bring multiple tools to the field.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, weams said:

I thought this part was interesting:

Q: Which player(s) impressed you the most during the instructional league?

A: On the position player side, Jordan Westburg had a great month. He’s a five-tool athlete and fierce competitor. Of the new pitchers, Brandon Young made a nice first impression. He showed plus stuff and a professional demeanor on the mound.

I looked at that and thought, “Brandon Who?”    He is one of our undrafted signees we picked up.    Courtesy of justD:

Nice to hear the good feedback on Westburg, too.    That’s the second time I’ve seen Matt Blood single him out for some praise.    Sounds like he’s going to be a fun athlete to watch.   

• Upvote 3

Watching the videos in recent weeks, I came away impressed that Gunnar Henderson is not in awe of anything. His body language, his comments, he’s impressive. Very athletic and smooth. He has a confident and good-natured flair about him, and I really like that. Very curious to see where he starts in 2021. 

It was good to read that Jordan Westburg and Andrew Daschbach are showing well. I read somewhere that Maverick Handley had gotten into great shape and was raking in instructs. We need more catching prospect depth. Hopefully, Kyle Stowers and Zach Watson make a similar progression at the plate. 

• Upvote 2