The Free Agent Starting Pitchers

TommyPickles

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

Gausman took the 1 year 19 million offer.   Pretty heck of a deal that considering Atlanta and Cincinnati didn’t even want him 2 years ago for much less.

I didn't think he was a deal when the O's were paying him way less.  He is much more likely to put up an ERA around 5 than an ERA around 3, IMO.

17 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I didn't think he was a deal when the O's were paying him way less.  He is much more likely to put up an ERA around 5 than an ERA around 3, IMO.

If you look at his FG page, I'm not sure the data supports that opinion (unless you mean absolute distance between his eventual ERA and 3.00 or 5.00).

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/kevin-gausman/14107/stats?position=P

2019 really looks like an anomaly 

I see the K/rate bump, but the 2 out of 12 relief appearances really had me thinking the Giants wouldn't view him as a $19M starter.

But ears open, I guess I have to hear this like a reverse Kluber from a year ago, when the club's valuations told me they saw him as washed up.

I certainly didn't see Gausman pitch any this year, but I guess here's Zaidi reading a smaller sample size (ala Kjerstad, etc.) and saying maybe he's the new Zach Wheeler.

I still feel like the Gausman camp getting the QO must have been spinning cartwheels and backflips.

8 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I see the K/rate bump, but the 2 out of 12 relief appearances really had me thinking the Giants wouldn't view him as a $19M starter.

But ears open, I guess I have to hear this like a reverse Kluber from a year ago, when the club's valuations told me they saw him as washed up.

I certainly didn't see Gausman pitch any this year, but I guess here's Zaidi reading a smaller sample size (ala Kjerstad, etc.) and saying maybe he's the new Zach Wheeler.

I still feel like the Gausman camp getting the QO must have been spinning cartwheels and backflips.

It's not just 2020, though, his FIP and xFIP in 2019 were consistent with prior years.

Also, from a trait-based perspective, the recovery of fastball velo in 2020 portends well to the success being more than smoke and mirrors.

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/kevin-gausman/14107/graphs?pitchgraphs=true&statArr=&legend=1&split=base&time=daily&start=2013&end=2020&rtype=mult&gt1=15&dStatArray=FA&ymin=&ymax=

On 11/2/2020 at 5:43 PM, Frobby said:

Not responsive to the question, but I remember Tyler Chatwood was a hot commodity the last time he came up for free agency.    Lots of chatter here about whether the Orioles should go after him.   The Cubs signed him for 3/$38 mm.   He produced 1.2 rWAR in those three years.

Yikes, I was wrong about that one. I really wanted Chatwood, but that was before Baseball Savant. 

On 11/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, TommyPickles said:

Gausman getting 19 million for one year and Bundy finishing ninth in the Cy Young vote...  Things sure have gone well for these two since leaving Bmore.

They are also two fly ball pitchers in much better ballparks to let people hit fly balls as well.  The AL West doesn’t have anywhere near the offensive teams the A.L East does as well.  The worst offense in the A.L. besides us was the Rays who scored 289 runs in the season.  The best team in the West outside of Bundy’s  Angels was the Astros at 279 runs.  Then take into account you really only played teams in your division and then a series from other league you might not face a great offense all year.  

• Upvote 1