SANTANDER is a super two

weams

3 hours ago, oriole said:

Mountcastle, Rutschman, Hays...players that project to be successful in the majors and all coming up around the same time.  Santander had a nice year last year but very easily could be an outlier and if he does it again then maybe it’s someone you consider keeping long term but at the same time if he does keep performing well then by the time the team is competitive again he will not only be getting expensive, there will hopefully be a plethora of players just coming into their own at the same positions. 

And I’m not dead set on wanting to see him traded or anything. I’m going off what I expect Elias to do. He has shown no reason for me to believe he won’t cash in on the value of a player during this rebuild. If Santander ends up being a good player consistently and we end up with an OF it Santander, Hays, Diaz, and Mountcastle in 2022 then I won’t be complaining. 

So You think Hays is a piece but Santander is not? Have you looked at their production at the major league level and ages? 

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So You think Hays is a piece but Santander is not? Have you looked at their production at the major league level and ages? 

Only reason you put Hays there is he seems to be able to play a premium defensive position and has good offensive upside for that position.  

That being said, he’s nothing right now.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Only reason you put Hays there is he seems to be able to play a premium defensive position and has good offensive upside for that position.  

That being said, he’s nothing right now.

Big upside but has to prove he can play 162.

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I expect Hays overall work to be significantly better than Santander over the next 4-5 years. Ask me again next year if Santander shows last year wasn’t an outlier. 

19 hours ago, Philip said:

And I am confident he will be part of our next good team but that shouldn’t have any bearing on whether or not to trade him.

If I was confident that Santander wouldn't have a big role on our next good team I would want to trade him now. 

I think he has a chance to be a nice piece on the next good team though, so I'm only trading him if we have confidence in a replacement and/or if a great offer comes unexpectedly.

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

If I was confident that Santander wouldn't have a big role on our next good team I would want to trade him now. 

I think he has a chance to be a nice piece on the next good team though, so I'm only trading him if we have confidence in a replacement and/or if a great offer comes unexpectedly.

I think he could theoretically be that piece but that if he becomes that player then the O's won't want to pay him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think he could theoretically be that piece but that if he becomes that player then the O's won't want to pay him.

Other than the guys they'd bring in between now and then, who else will they be paying? Means? Mancini?

The projected payroll for 2023 has to be a pittance at this point. Plenty of room to pay a good player through arbitration, and I'm not even talking about SG's definition of plenty of room. I'm talking about a payroll with pretty much everyone on it being home grown and very cheap. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And they could potentially get pieces back that would also be part of the future winning teams. Knowing Elias, it will be pitcher(s).

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

Other than the guys they'd bring in between now and then, who else will they be paying? Means? Mancini?

The projected payroll for 2023 has to be a pittance at this point. Plenty of room to pay a good player through arbitration, and I'm not even talking about SG's definition of plenty of room. I'm talking about a payroll with pretty much everyone on it being home grown and very cheap. 

No one.

8 hours ago, SteveA said:

So I don't understand why this is news today?

I've been maintaining the 40 man roster and keeping it updated on the first page of the offseason moves sticky thread at the top of the board, for almost two months now.

And when I started that roster in October i went out and found out what Orioles were eligible for arbitration based on mlbtraderumor's list, and put Santander on that list.   So that would indicate that it was known back in October he would be eligible for arbitration this year.   And certainly it had to be known before the non-tender date so the team would have information to make the decision whether to tender or not.

So what exactly is Roch reporting yesterday?

Per MLBTR:

The official Super Two cutoff point hasn’t yet been established.  The Athletic’s Lindsey Adler reported that Miguel Andujar (who has two years and 117 days of service time) fell five days short of Super Two status, though Jesse Dougherty of the Washington Postreports that the Nationals’ Wander Suero “missed it by just a few days,” and Suero has two years, 123 days of service time.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/juan-soto-walker-buehler-max-fried-among-players-reaching-super-two-status.html

We do know that Santander at 2.162 will be easily over the line, wherever it is.   Nunez at 2.167 also would have been far beyond the line.   

18 hours ago, LookinUp said:

Oh, I agree completely. The only thing that I would add to your comment is that once the pipeline is established and we have a regular supply of guys in waiting, we should trade everybody at peak value. Let somebody else pay for the expensive years.

• Upvote 1