Update: Orioles sign 17 international players highlighted by Basallo and Hernandez

connja

With international signing day moved to January, the next big day in the offseason calendar around the corner.  Are we expecting the Orioles to sign 1. anyone of significance; 2. anyone who will play on a full season team; 3; anyone who could impact our top 30?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

There is some sentiment that Maikol Hernandez could end up being one of the better prospects in this J2 class. He is just not as polished as some of the higher ranked SS’s. A 6-03 175 lb. SS, who gets some comparisons to Correa and ARod for his smoothness, arm and power potential. Mostly a line drive hitter, gap to gap, at present. 

And Basallo is the highest rated catcher in the DR. A LH hitting catcher at 6-03 200 lbs, he has a very strong arm and a power bat. There is some concern that he outgrows catcher down the line. 

There are a few more signings around the level of the highest ones in 2019, bonuses in the the $400k plus range. One is a LH power hitting corner OF, the name escapes me at the moment. 

The first two generally rank in the top 30-35 in BA and MLB. Overall, from what I have read, it is a well regarded class with the top group being their best prospects in a long time to sign internationally. And that is BA’s Ben Badler and the MLB guy, Jesse Sanchez, saying that. If that is bargain bin stuff, sign me up.

Koby Perez has stated that next year’s class is going to be where they make a big splash as most of the top guys have been committed for two years. I think they have done an outstanding job establishing relationships and credibility thus far. 

So there are 32 teams and the best talent you can talk into signing or willing to pay enough to sign with you is the 30-35 best available player.

Imagine the MLB draft every year if the Orioles were forced to pick somewhere in the 30-35 range. Would you sign up for that? 

• Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So there are 32 teams and the best talent you can talk into signing or willing to pay enough to sign with you is the 30-35 best available player.

Imagine the MLB draft every year if the Orioles were forced to pick somewhere in the 30-35 range. Would you sign up for that? 

Absolutely!  That would mean we were winning a lot of games.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

These rankings of 16-17 year old kids mean nothing.  For the most part, I would rather see them get as many 5 and 6 figure guys as they can.  If you are able to pop the game occasional 7 figure guy that you really love, so be it but the more of those you sign, the less total players you bring on.  All of these kids are lottery tickets.

• Upvote 1