Update: Orioles sign 17 international players highlighted by Basallo and Hernandez

connja

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Coby Mayo had signed for slot (565K) would Tony have ranked him #15 in the prospect list?

No because Mayo likely wouldn’t have the ceiling he apparently has if he signed for slot.

Mayo is nothing more than an Intl FA.  Maybe a little easier to scout him and we likely know more about him but overall, that’s really all he is at this point.  

He also has some degree of leverage because he could go to college, so he is able to influence his ability to get over slot a little more.  

But at the end of the day, you are assuming his frame fills out more and that with better coaching, better competition, etc...that he will continue to elevate his game.  It’s the same assumption you make with a 16-18 y/o player from the DR.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, DoobyDoo said:

So this year they are going with the less is more approach.  I’m good with that if the evaluations say, this is the best course of action.  Maybe it’s more of a top heavy class and there aren’t a lot of guys worth signing that are 5 figure type guys.  

"This group of 13 players will eat up the bulk of the club’s international bonus pool of $5,889,600. The club may have only about $100,000 remaining. The Orioles were placed with a group of seven other teams in getting this amount of pool money. Six teams got the highest amounts of $6,431,000. And while the O’s have few remaining dollars to sign international amateurs in a signing period that will run through Dec. 15, 2021, they got some of their top targets and the club will have signed 64 players under Elias/Perez and their staff when this class is announced."

34 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So this year they are going with the less is more approach.  I’m good with that if the evaluations say, this is the best course of action.  Maybe it’s more of a top heavy class and there aren’t a lot of guys worth signing that are 5 figure type guys.  

So apparently Elias’ agrees with me...fewer players with bigger bonuses , no.?

The Orioles continue to make some huge strides in their pursuit of international amateur talent. A class of what would eventually be 44 players was added in the signing period that began July 2, 2019 and ended in October. The Orioles will sign fewer players in the coming class, but were involved with many more players commanding bigger signing bonuses.

38 minutes ago, Absltgreek said:

"This group of 13 players will eat up the bulk of the club’s international bonus pool of $5,889,600. The club may have only about $100,000 remaining. The Orioles were placed with a group of seven other teams in getting this amount of pool money. Six teams got the highest amounts of $6,431,000. And while the O’s have few remaining dollars to sign international amateurs in a signing period that will run through Dec. 15, 2021, they got some of their top targets and the club will have signed 64 players under Elias/Perez and their staff when this class is announced."

Sounds like they have pretty much caught up to other teams.

Next step, passing other teams.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So apparently Elias’ agrees with me...fewer players with bigger bonuses , no.?

He agrees that this is the way to go this year.  The philosophy will change year to year depending on the talent available I’m sure.  There may even be a year where they can get a Dominguez type guy and he costs almost everything in your pool, so they say it’s worth it.  

Im sure he doesn’t agree that they should spend poorly and irresponsibly like you have suggested.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He agrees that this is the way to go this year.  The philosophy will change year to year depending on the talent available I’m sure.  There may even be a year where they can get a Dominguez type guy and he costs almost everything in your pool, so they say it’s worth it.  

Im sure he doesn’t agree that they should spend poorly and irresponsibly like you have suggested.

The question is what is poorly and irresponsibly?

To me if you have X dollars unspent in your pool you have three main choices.

1. Trade the slots for organizational filler
  2. Let it rot
  3. Overpay for players

I'd rather they overpay for players since I've seen no evidence that money saved is invested in the team instead of simply pocketed by ownership.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The question is what is poorly and irresponsibly?

To me if you have X dollars unspent in your pool you have three main choices.

1. Trade the slots for organizational filler
  2. Let it rot
  3. Overpay for players

I'd rather they overpay for players since I've seen no evidence that money saved is invested in the team instead of simply pocketed by ownership.

Well you can’t trade this year.

Poorly and irresponsible is paying 1M over market just so you can say you get a top ranked guy.  That is what Roll Tide has advocated.  That is not only paying the player too much (in comparison to market rate) but it also greatly reduces your ability to sign other guys.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well you can’t trade this year.

Poorly and irresponsible is paying 1M over market just so you can say you get a top ranked guy.  That is what Roll Tide has advocated.  That is not only paying the player too much (in comparison to market rate) but it also greatly reduces your ability to sign other guys.

I was giving my take not his take.

Well, this class sounds pretty promising.    You can’t really judge a class based on what players got paid, but it looks as if we were very competitive.    Pending seeing the actual on field results, I’m really pleased with the progress Elias and Perez have made.    And, I feel like going forward we are no longer at any disadvantage.    Only time will tell if we meet our goal of excelling in this area, but I feel we’ve got a shot.

Put the names and related info from article into list form....feel free to update as more info becomes available:

1. Samuel Basallo (16) - Catcher - DR - $1.3mm;  Basallo, who turned 16 on Aug. 13, has some raw power and an arm that gets some 60 grades from scouts. But he is a big catcher already at 6-foot-3 and 198 lbs. and could outgrow the catching position. A lefty batter, he was once linked to the Yankees.
  2. Maikol Hernandez (17) SS - Venezuela - $1.2mm; Hernandez is 6-foot-4 and 175 lbs., and has several impressive tools with a strong arm and power. He’s drawn some comparisons to bigger shortstops at young ages like Carlos Correa and Manny Machado. He is considered a plus runner with a strong arm and power. He was previously linked to the Cardinals and Pirates.
  3. Wilmer Feliciano (16) OF -  DR - $300-400K; He is a 6-foot-2 lefty batter with power and is expected to get the club’s third-highest bonus in this class.
  4. Teudis Cortorreal  (16) OF/CF - DR- $300-400K;  a player with power potential
  5. Victor Celedonio (16) - SS - DR- $300-400K; a switch-hitter.
  6. Eruviel Castillo (16) - SS - DR- $300-400K;
  7. Anderson De Lo Santos (16) - SS - DR- $300-400K;
  8. Yasmil Bucce (16) C - Venezuela- $300-400K; a solid hitting prospect.
  9. Angel Tejada (16) SS -  DR - $200K;
  10. Aneudis Mordan (16) C - DR - $200K;
  11. Junior Lara (16) CF - DR - > $200K;
  12. Angel Pena (16) CF - DR - >$200K;  
  13. Daivy Cruz (16) LHP - Venezuela - >$200K
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3