What facility improvements would you like to see at Camden Yards?

Frobby

6 hours ago, Aglets said:

My biggest complaint of OPACY relative to other stadiums I've been to is no open concourse.  I don't know how feasible it is to change that....we'd probably have to remove some seating.

Maybe now is the perfect time!!

Does this mean you can see when you are not in the seating bowl?

Whoever said better concessions hit the one for me.  I know it's not really facility per se, but a lot of the food is underwhelming for me.  I get either Boogs or Roma sausage, and I'll go get one of the rolled pretzels.  Other than that, the food to me is pretty meh.  The waffle fries got better as they adjusted fryer settings, because some of the stands were barely cooking them at the start of the year.  

I hate a lot of the aesthetics of Nationals Park, but the one thing they've got right is the food.  

Aside from this, I think the sound system and the TVs under the club level need an upgrade.  Someone mentioned a recliner section which would be pretty cool, and really upgrade the area behind home plate.  A season-ticket holder-only room would be nice to have- that used to be the club level but we no longer have that access pre-game.  

5 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

With the lower attendance we've seen over the past few decades of losing, I think a lot of your ideas about removing traditional seating and replacing it with bars or congregating areas would be cool.  Sarasota's Spring Training facility and Aberdeen are two examples I have been to that have picnic area seating where you can still enjoy the game, but in more of a social environment with friends than just sitting in a standard chair.

That said, I like to just sit and watch the game, and not have my back to the field, so I guess I'm in the "get off my lawn" crowd.  But I also think there is so much empty seats now, there is plenty of room for both seating options.

I actually really like the party decks they put into Fed Ex Field behind the goal posts.  They took out some of the seats and made an open patio, with a large bar in the center that extends from the wall back into the concourse.  If you are standing and aren't at the railing to look out, they have RedZone and the live game playing on TVs around the bar.  That would be pretty cool to have.  

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Just out of curiosity - is there any ball park with an open roof that is not hot in the summer when the sun is out during a day game?  Even in San Francisco - where you need to bring a jacket with you in the summer - gets hot if you are sitting in the sun.  

It depends on the angle of the sun and where the seats are located.  In my seats at OPACY in section 56, I am good by 2:30-3:00 from direct sun.  At Fed Ex Field, I have the sun on me until 3:00 or so for a 1 pm game.  Some of the folks on the extreme side have sun all game, and if it's sunny and 32, are still taking off layers because of the sun.  Some of our club seats are out of direct sun even for a 1:30 game, and I try to get those if I can.  

9 hours ago, ChipTait said:

I'm part of the management team of a performing arts venue, which is obviously not a sports venue, but most of the facility upgrades I've seen all have to do with appealing to the luxury clientele.  So Drungo's idea of replacing standard seating with fewer, but more luxurious seating would seem likely.

In these days of having everything delivered, I could also see them finding ways of expanding concession delivery beyond the club level, even if this necessitates removing some seats.

I had a chance to take a tour of Globe Mail Park in Amarillo two years ago, which is a brand new park in the Texas League.  One unique feature of that place is that the press box - including the play-by-play announcers - is down the first base line.  I was told that the real estate behind home plate was just too valuable to "waste" on the press.

To points 1 and 3, Nationals Park has the booth at the top of the stadium, and behind home plate are the diamond seats, which are the most expensive seats and those holders have their own private lounge with food served before the game.  That kind of thing doesn't fit the Baltimore vibe/atmosphere that we have, but I get where it works for somewhere like DC.  

Delivery is a great option.  I went to Turner Field the last year it was open in 2015, and they were doing delivery then if you were in the sections that were between the dugouts.  Hell, they had two huge Chick-fil-A stands there, and they had their own employees running around the aisles with hot bags full of sandwiches.  I'd like to see delivery, and it can be done through an app easily enough.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

To points 1 and 3, Nationals Park has the booth at the top of the stadium, and behind home plate are the diamond seats, which are the most expensive seats and those holders have their own private lounge with food served before the game.  That kind of thing doesn't fit the Baltimore vibe/atmosphere that we have, but I get where it works for somewhere like DC.  

Delivery is a great option.  I went to Turner Field the last year it was open in 2015, and they were doing delivery then if you were in the sections that were between the dugouts.  Hell, they had two huge Chick-fil-A stands there, and they had their own employees running around the aisles with hot bags full of sandwiches.  I'd like to see delivery, and it can be done through an app easily enough.  

Was going to say the same thing. The “delivery to your seats” was a HUGE plus and was a lot easier and convenient than I thought it would be. Making it into some type of app would be even better. Imagine a Boogs sammich being brought to you.

On 2/9/2021 at 8:19 AM, Sports Guy said:

The worst parts about OPaCy are the limited view and obstructed view seating, especially in the lower reserve.  

But, I don’t think there is anything you can do about that.

Outside of that, keep focusing on better concessions (food and drinks/beer).  

I don’t think the park itself needs anything unless you want modernize the look of the concession stands or if any work is needed to the suites/club level.  

Agree here all around. The support beams aren't going anywhere, and there's nothing we can do to be able to see the field from the concourse. 

Keep improving the food and beverage options, and maybe introduce some fan experience stuff outside of the stadium. I don't have any specific examples other than maybe a beer garden, but that's what Pickles and Sliders is for.

Honestly, I couldn't care less. I just want to get to the point where I can go to a game again. It's going to feel so good. And hey, plenty of social distance in the upper deck on a random Tuesday night in August you know?

Oh man, now I'm thinking about how easy it would be to "work from home" during a day game... 

• Upvote 2