Meoli: Baumann looks good throwing live BP

Tony-OH

Maybe we'll find out if he gets into a game.

Elias's comments that Thursday night about conservative spring are a little worrying.   If a "small thing" in August is still rippling in February, that's not that small.   Without that I believe he and not Zimmermann would have gotten that 3rd September fill-in slot.

I did feel like at full health he had a shot at that Bedard/Markakis type spring where he just doesn't let the club send him out.   His age/upside mix I think gets him out of the Kelenic basket.   

But the first step of that is being able to start Spring Training Game #5, and clear your 45-pitch hurdle or whatever you get on ~March 3.

Also just on the optimism of a BP session, this is as good a moment as any to highlight that this exists:

https://www.prospectslive.com/general/2020/2/22/michael-baumann-a-prospect-love-story

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Maybe we'll find out if he gets into a game.

Elias's comments that Thursday night about conservative spring are a little worrying.   If a "small thing" in August is still rippling in February, that's not that small.   Without that I believe he and not Zimmermann would have gotten that 3rd September fill-in slot.

I did feel like at full health he had a shot at that Bedard/Markakis type spring where he just doesn't let the club send him out.   His age/upside mix I think gets him out of the Kelenic basket.   

But the first step of that is being able to start Spring Training Game #5, and clear your 45-pitch hurdle or whatever you get on ~March 3.

Also just on the optimism of a BP session, this is as good a moment as any to highlight that this exists:

https://www.prospectslive.com/general/2020/2/22/michael-baumann-a-prospect-love-story

I agree with both points here, but I hope such  "live" BP session is a step forward and it honestly sounds like he's about where he would be if he's totally healthy.

The biggest indication where he's at will be once spring training games start. If he's not in official games or is not stretching out in intrasquad games then it's time to have some concern about this season.

From what I heard about last year's alternate camp was that he was head and shoulders above everyone there, including the three pitchers (Akin, Kremer, and Zimmermann) that ended up getting starts. If he had not gotten hurt I'm pretty certain he would have made his major league debut, especially instead of Zimmermann who had really not had a full camp due to COVID-related issues.

• Upvote 1