Hays: my favorite current Oriole

Frobby

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think a new stance is going to help Davis with what ails him.  

Obviously not, but Davis never changing his approach at the plate ever was a bit perplexing. Not saying that would have fixed him, but almost every other hitter would have done something different to try and bust out of that rut. 

On 4/14/2021 at 8:04 AM, OFFNY said:

o

From yesterday afternoon ......

(APRIL 13th)

Positive Update on Hays' Health

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/positive-health-update-on-hays.html

o

o

7 days later )(April 20th) )......

The Orioles have activated Austin Hays from the IL, and optioned) Ryan McKenna )to the alernate site.

https://twitter.com/masnSteve/status/1384576928557015041

o

7 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

7 days later )(April 20th)

The Orioles have activated Austin Hays from the IL, and optioned) Ryan McKenna )to the alernate site.

https://twitter.com/masnSteve/status/1384576928557015041

o

o

Somewhat ironically, the oft-injured Hays saw his first bit of action in his return from the IL because of an injury to another player during the game.

o

o

(vs. ATHLETICS, 4/25)

NUMBER 1

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

o

26 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. ATHLETICS, 4/25)

NUMBER 1

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

o

o

(vs. ATHLETICS, 4/25)

NUMBER 2

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

o

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

John Means post-game comment on Hays: “Once he gets hot he usually doesn’t stop.   I’m looking forward to watching him over the next month.”

Hays on getting in the groove: “Before my last at bat last night I told Cedric Mullins I felt like the game had been speeding up on me and I wasn’t having comfortable at bats.   He told me to try walking up to the plate more slowly than I usually do and just take things in, and that’s what I did and it worked.   Always good to take advice from a guy who’s hitting .350.”

Reminds me of last year when he missed the first half of the season, started cold, and then from 8/13 thru the end raised is BA from .197 to .279.  If he can stay healthy, he should be the most complete player we had since Machado.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, George Zuverink said:

Reminds me of last year when he missed the first half of the season, started cold, and then from 8/13 thru the end raised is BA from .197 to .279.  If he can stay healthy, he should be the most complete player we had since Machado.

Talent is there, no doubt about it with Hays. But until Hays can stay healthy, he's going to more resemble being the next Nolan Reimold. I believe to this day that Reimold would have been an all star player if he was capable of playing 140 games a season.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hays on getting in the groove: “Before my last at bat last night I told Cedric Mullins I felt like the game had been speeding up on me and I wasn’t having comfortable at bats.   He told me to try walking up to the plate more slowly than I usually do and just take things in, and that’s what I did and it worked.   Always good to take advice from a guy who’s hitting .350.”

That was my paraphrase.   Here’s the actual quote per Roch:

“I felt good the first couple games in Miami, and then felt like I was trying to do too much,” Hays said. “I was a little bit out of control for some reason. Things were speeding up on me. Before my last at-bat last night, I was talking to Cedric in the dugout and I told him I felt like I just wasn’t seeing the ball that well, and he’s like, ‘Why don’t you just try walking up to the plate a little bit slower, and all the stuff you do before, just try to slow it down.’ And I saw the ball a lot better my last at-bat last night and then I just felt very comfortable today.

“It’s definitely good to talk to the guys who are hitting .350, because there’s something they’re doing right. So, yeah, he gave me a good tip.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/04/means-dominates-and-lowther-debuts-in-8-1-win.html

o

(vs. ATHLETICS, 4/30)

NUMBER 3

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

AUSTICHARLES BRYAN HAYS

o

Hays is kind of tantalizing me at the moment.   He’ll have 1-2 good days at the plate followed by 1-2 bad days.   His strike zone judgment is very much a work in progress.   I feel like he could take off at any time.     

Right now he’s at .260/.316/.479, and he’s been good for 1.2 rWAR in  only 19 games played.   The BB-ref defensive metrics really like him, to the tune of +6 Rtot, +6 Rdrs.   On the Fangraphs side, they have him at 0.9 fWAR and +3.7 UZR.  Statcast’s OAA dissents, scoring him at -1.   One thing to remember is that OAA only relates to catching the ball, whereas Rtot, Rdrs and UZR taking throwing into account.    Hays has two assists already in his 19 games played and he’s holding runners at a very high rate - only 2 of 17 runners have gone two bases on a single or three bases on a double.    

He’s exciting to watch and I feel the best is yet to come.  

• Upvote 1