The Orioles do not want me any more

WillyM

8 hours ago, WillyM said:

You presumed incorrectly.

Luismatos4pres suggested that I try contacting the Orioles' ticket office and asking them if there is any way I could get into Camden Yards without a smart phone.  Maybe that will work.

I've read articles on the advantages and disadvantages of smart phones.  They are expensive - perhaps not as expensive as I first thought, but expensive - and they are security risks.

They are also bewildering.  I would have no idea how to use one. 

Jerios55 suggests getting an LG phone, putting it in airplane mode, and using it for Pandora.  I'm sure this was a well-meant suggestion, but -

What's an LG phone?  What's airplane mode?  What's Pandora?  How would any of those help me get into Camden Yards?

None of that would help you get into Camden Yards, I don't think. @gold21030 summarized it well, though.

But an iPhone is designed to be pretty intuitive.  If my boomer parents can figure it out, I'm sure anyone can.   I bet you'd surprise yourself with how quickly you'd learn it.  

21 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

None of that would help you get into Camden Yards, I don't think. @gold21030 summarized it well, though.

But an iPhone is designed to be pretty intuitive.  If my boomer parents can figure it out, I'm sure anyone can.   I bet you'd surprise yourself with how quickly you'd learn it.  

An Iphone is going to set you back a lot more money than a true budget phone.

All they really need is an email account and this one Application.  I'm betting they could get an employee that works with the phones to set that much up for them.  That's three minutes, they spend more time than that importing pictures when folks upgrade.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

An Iphone is going to set you back a lot more money than a true budget phone.

All they really need is an email account and this one Application.  I'm betting they could get an employee that works with the phones to set that much up for them.  That's three minutes, they spend more time than that importing pictures when folks upgrade.

And if I were concerned about security I'd use a different email account than my primary one.

• Like 1

My 92-year old dad has a smartphone.    He uses about 1% of its functionality.   He has asked my kids multiple times, “what’s an app?” and “what’s a podcast?”   Its a running joke with them.

Honestly I’m not a whole lot better.     I actually would prefer to have paper tickets rather than fooling around with trying to download them on my phone, make or receive electronic transfers of the tickets, etc.   I can do it, but inevitably it takes me ten times as long as it should.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My 92-year old dad has a smartphone.    He uses about 1% of its functionality.   He has asked my kids multiple times, “what’s an app?” and “what’s a podcast?”   Its a running joke with them.

Honestly I’m not a whole lot better.     I actually would prefer to have paper tickets rather than fooling around with trying to download them on my phone, make or receive electronic transfers of the tickets, etc.   I can do it, but inevitably it takes me ten times as long as it should.  

CDC protocols bruh - 1A rights are there to challenge - but do so peacefully or your cell phone will rat you out!  ?

Not to self - channeling @OrioleDog will earn you street cred

• Upvote 1

I am software engineer, (in my 40s so not exactly an old geezer)  I know how technology can fail us sometime

I don't see why everyone is in a rush to go all digital everything.

One of the typical ways to distribute tickets digitally is to just email the ticket, which has a link to the web page to bring up the QR code.   

However, if you don't take the extra step of downloading the image locally to your phone, when you try to bring it up again at the park,  you can be frantically trying to redownload it again.   And there may not be good service because cell signal blocked/not on WiFi/etc.  so you have to **** around for another 5 minutes. 

A piece of paper doesn't have this disadvantage.

That said, my parents aren't even boomers (they are silent generation) and figured out a smart phone.  At least my mother. 

Edited by GuidoSarducci
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, WillyM said:

You presumed incorrectly.

Luismatos4pres suggested that I try contacting the Orioles' ticket office and asking them if there is any way I could get into Camden Yards without a smart phone.  Maybe that will work.

I've read articles on the advantages and disadvantages of smart phones.  They are expensive - perhaps not as expensive as I first thought, but expensive - and they are security risks.

They are also bewildering.  I would have no idea how to use one. 

Jerios55 suggests getting an LG phone, putting it in airplane mode, and using it for Pandora.  I'm sure this was a well-meant suggestion, but -

What's an LG phone?  What's airplane mode?  What's Pandora?  How would any of those help me get into Camden Yards?

All fair questions, I was responding a bit to other replies.

As others mentioned, LG is the brand.  Airplane mode means I can only use for WiFi, so you'd have to download tickets at home.  It won't work offline (called airplane mode), but that means you don't have to pay the contracts either.  Basically, I can set the phone for specific tasks and not pay the 900-1200 for the phone and then the reoccuring monthly costs.  Pandora is a music app and has nothing to do with your question, it was really just meaning I can pay a low cost and use it as a free device after that first few dollars.

If you can't get a good answer from ticketing, let me know.  I will set up a phone for you with a simple, just for O's email account and the ticket app and just mail you a phone with instructions to use that one function.  Either way, I hope you find a way to enjoy some baseball live.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Honestly I’m not a whole lot better.     I actually would prefer to have paper tickets rather than fooling around with trying to download them on my phone, make or receive electronic transfers of the tickets, etc.  

My main issue recently has been hanging on to phones longer than most people do, and thus being fairly low on battery as game time approaches.  And here we are in the age where most cell batteries aren't replaceable.   I'm not going to get to my digital ticket if my phone's dead.

Finally replaced my device recently though, so I should be good to go for a while.

22 hours ago, WillyM said:

I got an e-mail from the Orioles today, informing me that fans will be permitted to attend games at Camden Yards, up to a limit of 25% of capacity.

I looked at that and I realized how much I would want to go to a game again. Maybe not until I'd had a chance to be vaccinated, but perhaps later in the season, if I could get a ticket.

Then I read farther into the details, and realized that the Orioles apparently will not sell me a ticket that I can use.

They are going to use contact-less digital ticketing exclusively. As far as I can understand, that means that the only way people can get into the park is by showing a digital image from an app on a smartphone.

I don't own a smartphone. I refuse to spend the obscene amount of money that it would cost to obtain one of those things.

I've been an Oriole fan for more than 60 years. I guess they don't want old geezers like me coming around Camden Yards any more.

o

Look what they've done to their fans, Ma ... look what they've done to their fans, Ma ... well they tied them up in a plastic bag, and turned them upside down, Ma ... look what they've done to their fans.

o

2 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

My main issue recently has been hanging on to phones longer than most people do, and thus being fairly low on battery as game time approaches.  And here we are in the age where most cell batteries aren't replaceable.   I'm not going to get to my digital ticket if my phone's dead.

Finally replaced my device recently though, so I should be good to go for a while.

I’ve had that battery problem too. Still rocking an iPhone 6 and the battery lasts maybe 2 hours.   

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Guys I dont think the Orioles want me anymore.  They just don't have a product I would spend the money it takes to go to a game for.

-written on my smartphone

Don't worry, at some indeterminate date in the future they are going to be done tanking and will actually try and win games.

Odds are good it will be before the end of the decade.