Maikel Franco Deal with Os Final

LookinUp

On 3/17/2021 at 6:24 AM, LA2 said:

My only quibble with this very useful projection is that I think one has to prepare for Hays being sidelined for 2-3 periods during the season due to whatever injury arises from his aggressive style of playing. Hyde is confirming what the Mountcastle, Mullins, and Santander configuration looks like in the OF because he realizes he'll be forced to use it for several stretches. At least it's a better choice than having Stewart out there.

Hays' injury history is certainly always a concern until he can get through a season without IL time. Saying that, I really think Hyde wants Mullins in CF as much as possible. Hays is an average defender out there so it's not like he's trying to keep him out of that position, but Mullins is one of the best at covering ground. Either way, I think the 5 of them will rotate through the four spots with Hays playing a lot of LF and RF along with CF and could even DH at times if Hyde is trying to give him a semi-day off but wants the bat in there.

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Not sure why he wouldn't be on the OD roster.

I can hear SG now...THE OPENING DAY ROSTER DOESN'T MATTER.

And he's right, it doesn't.  But I figured signing him meant that they figured he'd been working out on his own and in good shape and not far from being ready to play.

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

And he's right, it doesn't.  But I figured signing him meant that they figured he'd been working out on his own and in good shape and not far from being ready to play.

Standard belief players need x number of spring at bats? Plus ramp up time in field? 

I mean it would not be hard to carry him and bring him along slowly if they want. They may think reps daily at camp are better? Have to see. 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I mean, it isn't as if it hurts the team if he's a little rusty the first week or so.

As long as he's not risking injury have at it.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Standard belief players need x number of spring at bats? Plus ramp up time in field? 

I mean it would not be hard to carry him and bring him along slowly if they want. They may think reps daily at camp are better? Have to see. 

CoC is...right...ugh.  As long as he's not risking injury.

I don't know what the number of at bats a player need in ST to get up to speed or how many chances in the field that player would need.  Bring him along slowly?  He's a veteran, not a prospect.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

CoC is...right...ugh.  As long as he's not risking injury.

I don't know what the number of at bats a player need in ST to get up to speed or how many chances in the field that player would need.  Bring him along slowly?  He's a veteran, not a prospect.

I’m giving you the standard cliche responses from teams....

I do think you need to be sure not to rush him from an injury standpoint. He may be a little rusty at plate early on. Not that a slow start kills this team.  

• Upvote 1