Reliever question

HowAboutThat

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I just stated the justification.   What is the justification for keeping him on the 26 man roster.  He has not shown he can go 5 innings this spring. If he can't go 5 innings  he stress the pen.

The justification is that he's a young arm with some upside, people tend to think.  5 innings in an ST game isn't the measuring stick to see if a guy deserves a rotation spot.

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

5 innings in an ST game isn't the measuring stick to see if a guy deserves a rotation spot.

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You are basing it on a SSS of worthless innings.  

To be fair, wildcard did originally cite more than just Akin's 2021 ST:

22 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He did not average 5 innings in AAA in 2019.  He only went 5 innings in 2 of his 6 starts in 2020.  And he has not pitched more the 3 innings in a game this spring.   

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Sending Akin to AAA is just stupid.  There is zero justification for it.

He reported overweight, he has not pitched well, he hasn’t pitched a lot of innings, much less starter length innings, and he can be optioned without losing him. I am a big fan, but I can certainly see the logic in sending him down so that we can keep other guys.

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The justification is that he's a young arm with some upside, people tend to think.  5 innings in an ST game isn't the measuring stick to see if a guy deserves a rotation spot.

I think 5 innings in  ST is the measure.  If he can't do that in a ST game what makes you think he can do it in a regular season game?

13 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

To be fair, wildcard did originally cite more than just Akin's 2021 ST:

Ok..but that’s still awful.  First of all, that AAA was a weird season due to the runs scored and it was still just 113 innings.

On top of that, pitchers don’t really need to go 5 innings anymore anyway.

Now, I fully agree that he could end up being a reliever and I fully agree that I want to see him be more efficient and go deeper into games.

Those are all questions that he will have to answer as his career goes on.

But sending him down now based of his ST innings (and that is why WC is advocating it..if he had a good spring, he wouldn’t mention 2019) is irrational.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

He reported overweight, he has not pitched well, he hasn’t pitched a lot of innings, much less starter length innings, and he can be optioned without losing him. I am a big fan, but I can certainly see the logic in sending him down so that we can keep other guys.

There is no logic that we send him down to “keep other guys”

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Have any of the starters gone 5 innings in a ST game?  I don’t recall seeing it.

Means, Harvey and Zimmermann have gone 4 innings this spring. Kremer has gone 4.2 IP.   They are stetched out  to go 5 in there first regular season game.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think 5 innings in  ST is the measure.  If he can't do that in a ST game what makes you think he can do it in a regular season game?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Means, Harvey and Zimmermann have gone 4 innings this spring.  They are stetched out  to go 5 in there first regular season game.

So no..no one has gone 5 innings in a ST game and yet going 5 innings is the measuring stick?  

I guess we will have a 13 man bullpen this year folks!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

So no..no one has gone 5 innings in a ST game and yet going 5 innings is the measuring stick?  

I guess we will have a 13 man bullpen this year folks!

Being stretched out to go 5 innings in the first regular season game is the measure.   That means going 4 innings by the end of ST.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Being stretched out to go 5 innings in the first regular season game is the measure.   That means going 4 innings by the end of ST.

That’s not what you said.

You said:

I think 5 innings in  ST is the measure.  If he can't do that in a ST game what makes you think he can do it in a regular season game?

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So how do you have Valdez in the rotation? I think he has maxed at 3 IP and probably won't go higher than that. Some clubs are using openers that only go a couple innings. 

And does going 4 innings mean they will go 5 innings in their first start? Akin pitched 3 innings earlier and we have no idea how many innings he has thrown on the side.

And it’s not even IP, it’s the amount of pitches.  I guarantee you that Akin can go out and throw 70-90 pitches in his first start and if he is efficient, that can get him through 5 innings.

In other words,  not only are you changing your own argument but it’s a poor argument either way.

We probably won’t have a ton of 5 inning outings early on anyway.  Hyde has basically said that if you read between the lines.  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s not what you said.

You said:

I think 5 innings in  ST is the measure.  If he can't do that in a ST game what makes you think he can do it in a regular season game?

I mistyped.  4 innings in ST,  5 innings by the first regular season game.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

So how do you have Valdez in the rotation? I think he has maxed at 3 IP and probably won't go higher than that. Some clubs are using openers that only go a couple innings. 

Because he has no consistency in what he is saying.  He’s just making up arguments as he goes and then doesn’t even stick to them.