Gunnar Henderson 2021

Just Regular

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd say July.

That's a little over a month away, it'll be here before we know it.  See if he cools off at all or if he's really just crushing this level and ready to move up.  

I’ll say 2 weeks. If he’s performing at or close to the same level he might as well move up. Really just hope it’s tomorrow though.

19 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Gunnar is apparently leading all of MiLB in RBIs. 

9 ahead of everyone else in the league - as well as leading the league in OPS and homers while alternating between SS and 3B.  A Memorial Day promotion seems right.    

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

He may be the best high school bat we’ve drafted since Manny.   The O’s need to move him to Aberdeen very soon.   He’s just toying with low A.

I’m just looking forward to the updated version of the “Move back!  That kids up!” milk commercial with Gunnar.

Was just looking at Mountcastle’s early MiL numbers, since he was our best HS bat in quite a while.

Age 19, Delmarva: .281/.319/.426

Age 20, Frederick: .314/.343/.542 (88 games)

Age 20, Bowie: .222/.239/.366 (39 games)

Here’s Manny.

Age 18, Delmarva: .276/.376/.483 (38 games)

Age 18, Frederick: .245/.308/.384 (63 games)

Age 19, Bowie: .266/.352/.438 (109 games)

Obviously Gunnar (.338/.407/.676) is clobbering what those guys did at Delmarva.   However, he’s a year older due to the missed MiL season last year, and has the benefit of having played several weeks at the alternate site last year against more experienced pitchers.    Assuming he’s promoted soon, I think his A+ numbers will be a more relevant comparison, at least to Mountcastle.    Gunnar turns 20 on June 29, so this is just barely considered to be his age 20 season.     Manny turned 20 on July 6, 2012, the year he started at Bowie, so that was considered his age 19 season even though on the calendar his birthday comes only a week after Gunnar’s.   He debuted in the majors 34 days after his 20th birthday.    Gunnar ain’t gonna do that, but hopefully he gets most of the season at A+ and maybe even a taste of AA if A+ goes well, as Mountcastle did.    

• Upvote 2