April 13: Doubleheader Game 2 vs Mariners

SteveA

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I wonder what it is about us that we continue to allow ourselves to get our hopes up...especially when it comes to our young pitching.  Both this year and years prior.

Look, it's really simple...it's GrayRod, DL Hall and everyone else.  We've got a bunch of guys that profile anywhere from a #3 to a #5 starter or swingman.  I feel confident labeling Means a good #3, at times he can look like a #1 but he'll have starts where he looks like a back end of the rotation piece.

Kremer doesn't have the stuff to be anything more than a 3.  As far as I'm concerned, none of the other young starters we've got that are going to debut this year aren't going to be anything better than a #3, most likely.  

If we want to make this rebuild happen, we need some more elite arms.  Guys like Means (and I like Means) and Kremer aren't going to get us to where we need to be.  Especially in the AL East.

I gotta disagree with the end of this. We obv need top end starters but in the playoff years last decade, it was a bunch of guys pitching well, but there wasn’t exactly a true #1. I’d prefer GRod to turn into Cole, but we need guys that can pitch games 3-5.