O's need a better offense.

wildcard

12 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

MLB is hitting .233.   These are just the results of trends we all know have been ongoing, but it is still milestone-ish (plus April as Drungo said) to see Hits less than 8.00, and strikeouts over 9.00.

League Year-By-Year Batting--Averages

Year Tms #Bat BatAge R/G G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB
2021 30 721 28.6 4.33 456 37.36 33.04 4.33 7.70 1.48 0.14 1.14 4.07 0.45 0.13 3.38 9.18 .233 .312 .390 .701 12.87 0.66 0.52 0.13 0.28 0.13
2020 30 618 28.0 4.65 1796 37.03 32.87 4.65 8.04 1.57 0.13 1.28 4.44 0.49 0.16 3.39 8.68 .245 .322 .418 .740 13.73 0.69 0.46 0.07 0.22 0.11
2019 30 1287 27.9 4.83 4858 38.39 34.30 4.83 8.65 1.76 0.16 1.39 4.63 0.47 0.17 3.27 8.81 .252 .323 .435 .758 14.92 0.71 0.41 0.16 0.24 0.16

What would be cool is to see how this April tracks compared to April 2018 and 2019. 

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

McKenna has never played at AAA and hit poorly at AA.   He has not really earned him way to the majors yet.  He was just promoted to backup the OF because Hays was injured.

Agree, there's no need to feel sorry for McKenna. It's cool he got a taste and he'll definitely be back at some point as this roster's 5th OFer. But he's not exactly a big time prospect in my eyes.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

What would be cool is to see how this April tracks compared to April 2018 and 2019. 

Not hard to do, but remember April is only half over.   As the weather warms the next two weeks, the bats may, too.   

April 2018: .244/.319/.400

April 2019: .245/.321/.421

Thru April 18, 2021: .233/.312/.390

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, wildcard said:

Pretty simple statement, right.    But with Hays coming off the IL, what does it mean?   To me it means "If you hit, you play."

That means players that are hitting don't sit at this point.   Maybe later when its hot or they are tired but not now.   So Mullins CF (928 OPS), Urias 2B (816 OPS)  Franco 3B (757 OPS),  Stewart LF/DH (756 OPS), Galvis SS (725 OPS) should play every  games, as long as they keep hitting.  

Hyde says he will use a rotation with Hays returning.  Who should be in the position player rotation?   My answer is those that normally hit well but are not hitting well now.  Mancini 1B/DH , Mountcastle 1B/DH, Santander RF and Hays OF should be in the rotation until they start hitting well.  That means they play 3 games out of every 4 games.

(Mountcastle looked good at 1B the passed few games.  He doesn't need to play LF with Hays and Stewart available.)

The leaves  Severino/Sisco sharing catcher where neither is hitting. And Ruiz who should be a bench player for now at 2B/3B.   

That is the way I would try to improve the offense.   When someone hits better they play more.  When the don't hit they sit more.   Seems simple to me.  

What is your take on who should be in Hyde's position player rotation?

Good post.  Becomes even more interesting the next two games with no DH.  I'm guessing Stewart sits one out and Mountcastle the other. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Good post.  Becomes even more interesting the next two games with no DH.  I'm guessing Stewart sits one out and Mountcastle the other. 

Are you sure? Stewart is hitting pretty well, he’s defending pretty well, and he has a good eye, I don’t see any reason to choose Mountcastle over him

8 minutes ago, Philip said:

Are you sure? Stewart is hitting pretty well, he’s defending pretty well, and he has a good eye, I don’t see any reason to choose Mountcastle over him

They may both have to sit, if you play Hays/Mullins/Santander and Mancini at 1B, with no DH.   I doubt Hyde plays it that way both days though.   

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They may both have to sit, if you play Hays/Mullins/Santander and Mancini at 1B, with no DH.   I doubt Hyde plays it that way both days though.   

Sit Mancini. I have no idea how long Stewart will be good, but he’s good now so he should play. Mancini and MC are both scuffling, so I can’t choose between them, but Stewart needs to be on the lineup.

1 minute ago, rudyrooster said:

I see this as a make or break year for Stewart.  Give him plenty of at-bats.  See what we have with him.  Part of the future or not.

I don't think he's part of the Orioles future either way.

Could be make or break for it he has a quality ML career.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's still under team control for a few more years.  Why do you say he's not part of the O's future?  Please elaborate.

1 minute ago, rudyrooster said:

He's still under team control for a few more years.  Why do you say he's not part of the O's future?  Please elaborate.

I think he's more likely to be traded when players like Diaz and Milk Carton Lad make it to the majors. 

No great insight, I just think he gets lost in the roster squeeze.

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's more likely to be traded when players like Diaz and Milk Carton Lad make it to the majors. 

No great insight, I just think he gets lost in the roster squeeze.

I wouldn’t be surprised with any outcome for this outfield group. Santander might carry the most trade value, Hays has the most diverse fielding ability and Mullins might just keep surprising us. But Stewart’s AB’s have been looking more and more comfortable and I could see OBP being valued with a slew of RBI guys on their way.

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's 27.  He's trying to figure out if he can hang around the majors for another 3-4 years, or end up in the Atlantic League facing pitchers from 61' 6".  On the phone texting Steve Pearce and Luke Scott to figure out their secrets.

13 hours ago, Philip said:

This is true - I'd like to see DJ out there both games.  To be honest, I don't know if the two Marlins pitchers the Orioles are facing are lefties so that could play a role too.

26 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

This is true - I'd like to see DJ out there both games.  To be honest, I don't know if the two Marlins pitchers the Orioles are facing are lefties so that could play a role too.

Tonight is a righty.  Tomorrow is a lefty.