The Tanner Scott Roulette Wheel

Frobby

49 minutes ago, Philip said:

That Hyde disagrees is one of the nails in his managerial coffin. 

however, Hyde has come around and no longer throws Scott into a high leverage situation if he can help it.

This is another example of people just being clueless about this sport and this team.

WTF do you want a Hyde to do?  He has NO ONE to give the ball to in high leverage situations right now. And that can’t be understated...NO ONE!!!

Scott represents a tremendous upside for a reliever, he is young and under contract for a while.  This team DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WINNING!!!!  Do you and others not get this?  Why is this concept so difficult for you to understand?  Elias has beating this into our heads for a few years.

So, Hyde is doing exactly what he should be doing...seeing if this kid can figure it out and become an elite back end guy when we need him to be one.  He isn’t going to do that by treating him with kids gloves and putting him into 7-1 games.  He doesn’t need to be nurtured or babied anymore.

You let him figure it out and you do it in situations that matter because those are the situations you want him to thrive in long term.

I swear, when I read this site, it’s almost as if people on here just started following the team yesterday.  Pay attention to what is going on.  Blaming Hyde for this and bashing him for it is just dumb.  He is doing exactly what he should be doing.

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is another example of people just being clueless about this sport and this team.

WTF do you want a Hyde to do?  He has NO ONE to give the ball to in high leverage situations right now. And that can’t be understated...NO ONE!!!

Scott represents a tremendous upside for a reliever, he is young and under contract for a while.  This team DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WINNING!!!!  Do you and others not get this?  Why is this concept so difficult for you to understand?  Elias has beating into our heads for a few years.

So, Hyde is doing exactly what he should be doing...seeing if this kid can figure it out and become an elite back end guy when we need him to be one.  He isn’t going to do that by treating him with kids gloves and putting him into 7-1 games.  He doesn’t need to be nurtured or babied anymore.

You let him figure it out and you do it in situations that matter because those are the situations you want him to thrive in long term.

I swear, when I read this site, it’s almost as if people on here just started following the team yesterday.  Pay attention to what is going on.  Blaming Hyde for this and bashing him for it is just dumb.  He is doing exactly what he should be doing.

Hyde is managing for 2022 and 2023.

It's like if you have a team of 10 year olds, and you're playing the kid who never played baseball before most of the time because you know with experience he'll be a good player, better than the guy who'd be playing in his place.  But the parents are yelling at you because you lost today's game. It's not about today's game.

55 minutes ago, Philip said:

He won’t. I have always been down on Scott as a hard thrower who had no idea where it was going. I was hopeful and encouraged that he seemed to have fixed that problem well enough to be a meaningful reliever. But that seems to have been a happy digression and now he is back to being himself. With that in mind it’s time to ship him off.

It's only happened since Holt has been on leave, right?  Asking for @wildcard ?  But seriously, this will all be happy memories once Hunter Harvey returns.  

Right now, none of the O's relievers is reliable.  So you'd might as well use the ones with the best stuff (e.g. Scott) in the high-leverage situations and hope that they figure it out.  

I notice that Hunter Harvey has started a rehab assignment and that Marcos Diplan (only 24 years old) has had some success in Norfolk--there may be other options coming.  

50 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Scott represents a tremendous upside for a reliever, he is young and under contract for a while.  This team DOES NOT CARE ABOUT WINNING!!!!  Do you and others not get this?  Why is this concept so difficult for you to understand?  Elias has beating this into our heads for a few years.

I am not being clueless, you did not read my comment. I specifically pointed out that Hyde Was no longer regularly using Scott In high-level situations, because he is so undependable. Yes we all agree that the arrows in the managerial quiver are bent and blunt, and we all know that that’s all he has to work with at the moment. But that’s a separate issue.

Regarding Scott, he has spent his entire career being inconsistent. As I also specifically said, he seemed to take a large step forward last season and we were all encouraged. And as I also said, he has now taken the step back to his normal inconsistent self.

You may talk about “upside” all day long, but it is up to Scott to fix the problems in his game.

At what point do you throw up your hands and say, “oh well.” Even Hyde Is about at that point, as witness by the fact that he no longer regularly uses him and high-pressure situations. And as you just said, Hyde has few choices, So he uses Scott because he must and not because he chooses to. And that admission from you is a tacit confirmation of what I’m saying which is that he wishes he didn’t have to use Scott.

Look, I want him to do well too, but he’s not doing well, except sporadically. And inconsistency is not what you want in a reliever.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Right now, none of the O's relievers is reliable.  So you'd might as well use the ones with the best stuff (e.g. Scott) in the high-leverage situations and hope that they figure it out.  

I notice that Hunter Harvey has started a rehab assignment and that Marcos Diplan (only 24 years old) has had some success in Norfolk--there may be other options coming.  

I would like to take a brief pause from the daily debate and publicly congratulate you for saying, “none… Is” instead of, “none… are.”

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I am not being clueless, you did not read my comment. I specifically pointed out that Hyde Was no longer regularly using Scott In high-level situations, because he is so undependable. Yes we all agree that the arrows in the managerial quiver are bent and blunt, and we all know that that’s all he has to work with at the moment. But that’s a separate issue.

Regarding Scott, he has spent his entire career being inconsistent. As I also specifically said, he seemed to take a large step forward last season and we were all encouraged. And as I also said, he has now taken the step back to his normal inconsistent self.

You may talk about “upside” all day long, but it is up to Scott to fix the problems in his game.

At what point do you throw up your hands and say, “oh well.” Even Hyde Is about at that point, as witness by the fact that he no longer regularly uses him and high-pressure situations. And as you just said, Hyde has few choices, So he uses Scott because he must and not because he chooses to. And that admission from you is a tacit confirmation of what I’m saying which is that he wishes he didn’t have to use Scott.

Look, I want him to do well too, but he’s not doing well, except sporadically. And inconsistency is not what you want in a reliever.

He is using him in high leverage situations and the quote you quoted was him saying he would continue to do so and you said that’s the final nail in his coffin.

Thats an absolutely absurd take.  He should absolutely keep sending him out there in those situations.

And to answer your question..when do you throw your hands up and stop waiting?  When you are good and since this organization doesn’t want to be good right now, you don’t even consider “throwing your hands up”.

1 hour ago, Philip said:

He used him with a 1 run lead in the 8th last night.   That's high leverage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I would like to take a brief pause from the daily debate and publicly congratulate you for saying, “none… Is” instead of, “none… are.”

I wonder if he had a quality ivy league education like you Philip?

3 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I wonder if he had a quality ivy league education like you Philip?

I don’t have an Ivy League education. I do have an education. I noticed that he did something correct that a lot of people don’t do correctly? It is a sad thing that people who do something correctly are called elitist by those who do not.

On 5/25/2021 at 6:31 PM, Philip said:

I don’t have an Ivy League education. I do have an education. I noticed that he did something correct that a lot of people don’t do correctly? It is a sad thing that people who do something correctly are called elitist by those who do not.

I don’t think Three Run Homer is an elitist.  Or snooty.

2 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I don’t think Three Run Homer is an elitist.  Or snooty.

No he was calling ME elitist because I complimented someone else’s grammar.

Edit: I do not remember whose grammar I complimented, Nor do I remember who was snooty and implied I was elitist By saying, “not everybody has an Ivy League education,” but yes, that person was calling me elitist because I complimented someone else who was using correct grammar.

Edited by Philip