Kyle Bradish 2021

Frobby

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Well the thing with the 4 NCAA pitchers we acquired from the Angels is that they don’t let NCAA pitchers pitch in the year they were drafted. So it’s amazing Bradish made it all the way to AAA. It could just be tiring out. 

Bradish pitched a full season at Hi A in 2019.   

3 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I feel pretty good about Bradish helping us in the future. His command issues will dictate whether it's as a reliever or a starter. He has the raw stuff to be a starter. To my (amateur) eye, he actually has pretty good command when he gets out over his front foot. His pitches are sharp and he can locate down. When he doesn't get on top, he elevates. For his FB, that leaves him way up and out of he zone which is pretty harmless because aint' nobody swing at a ball that high. But for his off speed stuff that tendency leaves him up in the zone and very hittable. So while he didn't walk anyone yesterday, his command was still pretty lacking. Interestingly, when he has to buckle down and make a good pitch, the timing issue that I'm talking about seems to disappear and he makes good pitches. So maybe that bodes well for the future since he seems to be able to correct his elevation issues when he focuses on it. He was still throwing 94-96 on the FB, so his velocity is still where it was when I first saw him this spring. 

Was scrutinizing his start a little deeper since this earlier post, and it occurred to me that I didn't really see him throw any plus off speed pitches. This is not how I remember his starts from early in the year. I remember a slider that had a lot of bite, and a curve that produced a lot of missed bats. The few curves I saw were all elevated. He's relying pretty heavily on his fastball now. All three home runs he gave up were off speed pitches that were in the middle to upper part of the zone. I haven't seen any of his recent prior starts so maybe he just wasn't feeling it yesterday, but it definitely looked like his arsenal was way more limited than earlier this year. His FB looked very similar to earlier this year, with the same issues with driving down and finishing the pitch. 

• Upvote 2

Bradish got his AAA ERA down to 4.70 ERA tonight, allowing 1 unearned run in 5 IP on 4 H, walking none while striking out 8.  He’s pitched to a 3.50 ERA over his last 8 outings.  

It’s been a bit of a roller coaster for Bradish but he’s definitely interesting.   Probably a reliever as Tony has suggested, but he could be a good one.   

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Bradish got his AAA ERA down to 4.70 ERA tonight, allowing 1 unearned run in 5 IP on 4 H, walking none while striking out 8.  He’s pitched to a 3.50 ERA over his last 8 outings.  

It’s been a bit of a roller coaster for Bradish but he’s definitely interesting.   Probably a reliever as Tony has suggested, but he could be a good one.   

I was pretty critical of his last start and wondering what happened to the guy I saw earlier in the year. He looked very much like his old self tonight. His was commanding his fastball better, but what stood out was the bite on his curve and slider. They were both effective and not at all flat like they looked in that prior start. He was also keeping the ball down in the zone. He still has fastballs that get away from him high and out of the zone. But his form was MUCH better tonight (minus one very strange delivery). Such a difference between starts. The Bradish who pitched tonight is a starter with real potential. The prior start I watched he looked like a middle inning reliever. Was really encouraging to see his breaking pitches have a lot of bend, with him commanding them nicely too. Only gave up one hard hit ball (fly out to center) on his last pitch. 

ps - Adley is tremendous defensive catcher, but you all know that already

• Upvote 2

Suppose he'll have one more turn against those excellent Durham Bulls, but for now the splits of the four full AAA months at:

June, 25/9 K/BB, 4.86 ERA

July, 20/12, 6.00

August, 21/8, 5.74

September, 24/5, 1.80

Game Log looks like last night marked his first occasion this year making it 5 innings for 4 consecutive starts.

• Upvote 1

Bradish has been inconsistent, but there’s some talent there.   Here’s a breakdown of his 20 AAA outings:

- In 9 of them, he threw 5 innings (5.1 once) and allowed 2 earned runs or less (5 with 0 runs, 2 with 1 run, 2 with 2 runs)

- in 3 others, he pitched 5 innings and allowed 3, 3 and 4 earned runs

- he had 3 starts where he pitched 3.1 - 4.0 innings and allowed 2-3 earned runs

- he had three starts, each about a month apart, where he was absolutely torched, throwing 0.2 - 1.2 innings and allowing 3-5 earned runs.

- he pitched in long relief twice, throwing 3 shutout innings in one game and allowing 3 runs in 3 innings the other time.

So it’s fair to say he was very good to excellent half the time, with the other half split between mediocre (mostly) and awful (occasionally).   

Goals for 2022: be more consistent, and like all the other MiL pitchers, start venturing beyond 5 innings.  I expect he’ll make his major league debut sometime in the June/July time frame if he’s throwing well.   

It’s nice to see Bradish and Rom really establish themselves behind Grod, and Hall, as our #3 and #4 pitching prospects. Pinto might be in the discussion.  That’s a solid top 5. We don’t need all of these guys, including the guys currently in the MLB, to be aces,  it if they can develop into 3/4/5 guys that would be nice. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s nice to see Bradish and Rom really establish themselves behind Grod, and Hall, as our #3 and #4 pitching prospects. Pinto might be in the discussion.  That’s a solid top 5. We don’t need all of these guys, including the guys currently in the MLB, to be aces,  it if they can develop into 3/4/5 guys that would be nice. 

It’s probable that not all of them will become good major leaguers, even 3/4/5 starters or good relievers.   That’s just the way it is with pitching.   

Just now, Frobby said:

It’s probable that not all of them will become good major leaguers, even 3/4/5 starters or good relievers.   That’s just the way it is with pitching.   

Lowther, Wells, Aikin, Baumann, Bradish, Rom are all higher level minor leaguers/major leaguers who were legitimate prospects.   Not all will pan out but it sure would be nice to find at least 2 starters from that bunch.

20 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Lowther, Wells, Aikin, Baumann, Bradish, Rom are all higher level minor leaguers/major leaguers who were legitimate prospects.   Not all will pan out but it sure would be nice to find at least 2 starters from that bunch.

I think two SP is pushing it. At least on a contending team. The four who’ve pitched in Baltimore haven’t shown they’re ML pitchers. Stuff wise and results wise.  

In my uninformed opinion, Aiken is the only one of the four with the ability to pitch in MLB. Baumann’s FB looks straight as an arrow and Lowther and Wells don’t have the necessary command to pitch with their weak FB and slow moving breaking pitches. 

• Upvote 1