Tyler Nevin 2021

Just Regular

I noticed yesterday in Norfolk Game 2 he followed in the Mancini/Mountcastle tradition and played I believe about his 3rd career game in RF, with only just 1 error.

I was relatively Glass Half Full on Nevin's AA finish in 2019, and think he has a shot to get a lot of HR/RBI for Norfolk.   He is a High School Class of 2015 demographic like Mountcastle who will need to hit to have a career.   2 HR in first two AAA games good start to maybe keep AAA MVP honors in the organization.

• 1 month later...

At this point, Santander is clearly not healthy.  They may as well promote Nevin to get regular at bats at DH/OF, while also promoting Jones and DFAing Wilkerson. None of that will injure the rebuild, and the team absolutely SUCKS right now - it's not like things can get worse at the ML level. 

This is his first season at the AAA level and it looks like he's having a pretty average year overall. I'd let him finish out the season and see if he can help in September and in April.

I think the fact that the Orioles are terrible means you are even more patient. It's not like someone at the farm can push us into the playoffs.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Tyler Nevin is in Philly, unclear if taxi squad or someone going on IL, etc. 

But man... .704 OPS in AAA with 16 home runs in 439 PA has to be called a relative disappointment yeah?

i think when Hyde had to use a pitcher to hit in a critical spot last night tht said you need another bat on the roster.   

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Tyler Nevin is in Philly, unclear if taxi squad or someone going on IL, etc. 

But man... .704 OPS in AAA with 16 home runs in 439 PA has to be called a relative disappointment yeah?

So the day AFTER the bullpen game where they needed a deeper bench for pinch hitting, they are going to add a hitter to the roster.   Probalby send down one of the pitchers who pitched a lot yesterday and is unavailable today anyway.

Last week, looks like he got all five of his starts in the field at 3B.

For the year he is about one-third each 1B/3B/OF.   With Mountcastle settling in, and SportsGuy's whispers about extra cheap, could we be fixing to Ty Wigginton it up next April?

I was rooting for him to get a September 3B appearance against the Yankees to be next to his dad.

Depends on the year and the league.   There’s more offense-friendly ballparks in the AAA West than the East.   For this year, AAA East is .745, West is .814.   I’d say that spread is pretty typical for what it used to be in the International League vs. Pacific Coast League.  The numbers in both leagues jumped in 2019 when they started using the major league ball.   

• Thanks 1

He hasn't had a great season in AAA. And I don't really see him as piece going forward...but, I wouldn't mind him getting a chance at 3B for the next 10 games. What's the worst that could happen? He causes us to lose and get the top pick? Lets see Jones, Nevin, and Martin in the infield the last 10 games. It's not much of a sample size, but at least see them. They're all amongst a large number of players that could conceivably lose their 40-man spot this offseason (some more likely than others). 

• Upvote 1