Jordan Westburg 2021

UMDTerrapins

Just now, joelala said:

Any chance we try him at second a la LeMehieu?

Only if his arm and range suggest SS is too tough for him They are playing Westburg exclusively at SS/3B. The O's have Vavra and Norby (and Ortiz) who will probably get priority at 2B. 

24 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Only if his arm and range suggest SS is too tough for him They are playing Westburg exclusively at SS/3B. The O's have Vavra and Norby (and Ortiz) who will probably get priority at 2B. 

Right. If the negative scouting report about Westburg’s range and arm are true, it may come to that. Hope not though, I also had hopes for him on the right side of the infield. 

21 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is nothing to worry about with Westburg.   He has played 43 games at SS in the minors.  Give the guy some time.  

Yeah, I think we’re worrying way too much about defense about every single prospect. I’m happy that Westburg has a .900+ OPS since being promoted. Keep hitting and staying healthy. They will figure out where to play him. 

We were the best team in MLB and our COFs were Trumbo, Cruz, Young, and Pearce. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah, I think we’re worrying way too much about defense about every single prospect. I’m happy that Westburg has a .900+ OPS since being promoted. Keep hitting and staying healthy. They will figure out where to play him. 

We were the best team in MLB and our COFs were Trumbo, Cruz, Young, and Pearce. 

We were never the best team in MLB.   

Saying we shouldn’t worry about defense is crazy.   Defense is very important and in general the O’s had very good defense from 2012-16.   In those years Jones and Hardy won three gold gloves each, Manny won two, Wieters one and Markakis one.   Per Fangraphs, the O’s had the fifth best defense in the majors over those years, 80 runs above average.  The defense was especially good in 2013-14.    

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

We were never the best team in MLB.   

Saying we shouldn’t worry about defense is crazy.   Defense is very important and in general the O’s had very good defense from 2012-16.   In those years Jones and Hardy won three gold gloves each, Manny won two, Wieters one and Markakis one.   Per Fangraphs, the O’s had the fifth best defense in the majors over those years, 80 runs above average.  The defense was especially good in 2013-14.    

IIRC I remember reading or hearing that the O's had the best record over a 5 year period. 2012-2016? I could be wrong but that's what I recall. But I agree with your point on defense.

1 minute ago, MCO'sFan said:

IIRC I remember reading or hearing that the O's had the best record over a 5 year period. 2012-2016? I could be wrong but that's what I recall. But I agree with your point on defense.

Best record in the AL.  I believe three or four NL teams were better, including the Nats and Dodgers.   

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Chaka Garcia said:

I saw this article about Westburg - seems to be less glowing than other articles that I have read (in regards to his defense and draft day potential).

https://eutawstreetreport.com/jordan-westburg-showing-impressive-bat/

For some reason, I thought he had "Hardy" like defense -good, but not flashy defense, plus decent arm.

Why are you concerned over getting a "scouting report" from a random internet guy? 

I've watching Westburg enough to know his defense is fine at SS. He's made five errors in 43 games at SS while getting bounced back and forth between SS and 3B which certainly can't help his consistency. That's not a "lot of errors" and although he doesn't have flashy range or an absolute rocket arm, he's got plenty of arm to play the position and I've seen him make a few really nice range plays at times. 

I'm probably the guy that said he's got Hardy like defense and I'm sticking by it for now. I'm more concerned with Henderson's defense than Westburg's.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, joelala said:

Any chance we try him at second a la LeMehieu?

That is a possibility down the road if the team has a better defensive option at SS. Again, I'm not ready to dismiss him as a SS and although he has things to work on, we have to remember, Hardy's minor league fielding percentage was .964 and his major league fielding percentage was .983. 

Hardy also wasn't bounced around between SS and 3B like the Orioles have been doing with him and Henderson. Honestly, the Orioles decision to bounce their infield prospects around at every level no matter what their prospects status, is one of the more perplexing developmental ideas.

I'm sure it makes sense in the computer program, but I imagine most players prefer to get comfortable at one position. I get drafting a bunch of shortstops because they are usually one of the best athletes on the team and can move to other positions, but the Orioles need to evaluate the most likely position the player will play it in the majors and play them primarily at that position.