A weekly look at our farm teams

Frobby

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Tampa Bay is just a machine right now. That Bowling Green team is very good. Bowie went 8-4 against both Binghamton and Hartford but probably should have been 11-1. Fenter and Naughton out of the bullpen have been terrible. Norfolk just doesn't get a break with their schedule....

I read that you could take the #1 overall player out of the equation and Tampa would still have the best farm team.

And they didn't need to lose 100+ games for five years in a row to build it.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I read that you could take the #1 overall player out of the equation and Tampa would still have the best farm team.

They would probably still have the deepest for sure. Their top 30 is littered with international signings and prospects netted from trading established MLB stars which is something I doubt you (or most fans) want the Os to do. They also were under .500 for 4 straight years.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No they didn't but from 2001 to 2007, they lost 100, 106, 99, 91, 95, 101 and 96.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, from 2001 to 2007.

That's super relevant.

Tampa didn’t fall into the abyss once they became a good team.   They traded a lot of good players away and recycled their talent, unlike the O’s who waited too long.   

I don’t think it really works to say Elias didn’t have to do a teardown because Tampa built a great farm system without doing it.   Elias inherited a 47-win team.   47.   He didn’t do that, and it wasn’t because of an intentional teardown by his predecessor.    It was just a long series of short-sighted and bad decisions.   Elias had little choice but to start from scratch because there was very little talent in the organization when he took over.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Tampa didn’t fall into the abyss once they became a good team.   They traded a lot of good players away and recycled their talent, unlike the O’s who waited too long.   

I don’t think it really works to say Elias didn’t have to do a teardown because Tampa built a great farm system without doing it.   Elias inherited a 47-win team.   47.   He didn’t do that, and it wasn’t because of an intentional teardown by his predecessor.    It was just a long series of short-sighted and bad decisions.   Elias had little choice but to start from scratch because there was very little talent in the organization when he took over.   

The question is how long you have to field an intentionally non-competitive team.

No one is suggesting that the 2019 or 2020 Orioles shouldn't have been about accumulating talent.

After busting out of the gate as some of the top teams in their respective leagues....our A to AA affiliates are starting to show some signs of regression.  Nothing crazy yet, but:

Delmarva (A-):  25-15 overall, still good for first in their division, but we are now behind Tampa's team in our league and even with Milwaukee.

Aberdeen (A+):   23-18 overall, now at 2nd place in our division behind the Yankee affiliate.  Tampa's team is also ahead of our pace.

Bowie (AA):   27-13 overall,  best record in our league although the Yankee affiliate is right on our heels.  

Norfolk (AAA):  15-24 overall, out of 20 teams in our AAA league, we have the 15th best record.  That's....something.

So still good overall, but not as runaway good.   Aberdeen has lost 8 of their last 11............hopefully that turns around real quickly.

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

While it's nice to win in the minors, should that really be a priority?  I'd be fine if all the minor league affiliates had losing records as long as the real prospects develop well.  

It should not be a goal unto itself, but it is clearly a sign that things are going well with your system if your affiliates are constantly successful, see Tampa and NY.  And if your teams are consistently terrible you probably don't have a lot of prospects to be excited about.

3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

It should not be a goal unto itself, but it is clearly a sign that things are going well with your system if your affiliates are constantly successful, see Tampa and NY.  And if your teams are consistently terrible you probably don't have a lot of prospects to be excited about.

Meh.  If you have 8 prospects doing well on a team, you're probably doing very well in development - assuming those players aren't old for their levels.  That's 8 players out of a 25-30 player roster - so the team has plenty of room to be bad while the important players are doing well.   

33 minutes ago, Aglets said:

After busting out of the gate as some of the top teams in their respective leagues....our A to AA affiliates are starting to show some signs of regression.  Nothing crazy yet, but:

Delmarva (A-):  25-15 overall, still good for first in their division, but we are now behind Tampa's team in our league and even with Milwaukee.

Aberdeen (A+):   23-18 overall, now at 2nd place in our division behind the Yankee affiliate.  Tampa's team is also ahead of our pace.

Bowie (AA):   27-13 overall,  best record in our league although the Yankee affiliate is right on our heels.  

Norfolk (AAA):  15-24 overall, out of 20 teams in our AAA league, we have the 15th best record.  That's....something.

So still good overall, but not as runaway good.   Aberdeen has lost 8 of their last 11............hopefully that turns around real quickly.

Norfolk, Bowie and Delmarva all went 2-4, Aberdeen 3-3.    Not too disastrous.   Aberdeen won on Saturday 19-4 and lost on Sunday 19-4.    That’s not something you see every day.   And Bowie played a game that was tied 5-5 after 9 innings that ended up 17-9 after 12.    That’s also something you don’t see too often. 

12 hours ago, Hazmat said:

With the exception of maybe Mundy, it seems like most of our minor league bats have cooled off.

No maybe about Mundy, he’s red hot.   I can’t think of anyone who’s really stood out in June other than him.   Adley has been fine but a step below his May performance, ditto Henderson up to his promotion.   Stowers was having a good June before his promotion too.   

51 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No maybe about Mundy, he’s red hot.   I can’t think of anyone who’s really stood out in June other than him.   Adley has been fine but a step below his May performance, ditto Henderson up to his promotion.   Stowers was having a good June before his promotion too.   

It's a minor quibble, and maybe says more about the current state of hitting, but can you be "red hot" and hitting .279?  Yes, I recognize his SLG of .738 and 8 HR's in 16 games and 1.091 OPS.  I guess he's red hot from a power perspective, but he's not red hot like we've seen Cedric Mullins over the past few weeks.  Again, a minor quibble.  I'd like to see a higher average from Mundy over the long term to indicate he could be a viable DH at the major league level.  Looking forward to seeing more of him and continued success.

Norfolk (20-25) went 5-1 against Gwinnett (22-25). Next up: Charlotte (18-27).

Bowie (29-17) went 2-4 against New Hampshire (31-26).   Next up: Akron (27-19).

Aberdeen (25-21) went 2-3 against Rome (24-22).    Next up: Brooklyn (16-28).

Delmarva 30-16) went 5-1 against (Fredericksburg (14-34).   Next up: Lynchburg (25-20).

After a 3-13 start, Norfolk has played pretty well of late.   They’ve gone 17-12 since then.  Bowie and Aberdeen have cooled considerably in the last few weeks.