Means trade comp

Sports Guy

Earlier today, I had a Twitter back and forth with Kyle Glasser of BA.  He tweeted that the Os should build around Mancini and Means.

I disagreed with him but one thing he did say is that the Os would have to deal Means if they got a Jose Quintana return.

I had honestly forgotten about that trade.

To refresh your memory, the WS dealt Quintana to the Cubs for Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease and 2 other minor leaguers.  At the time of the trade, Jimenez was ranked 8th by MLB.com and Cease was #63.

Quintana was dealt in July 2017 and the Cubs had him through the 2020 season.  Quintana came to the Cubs having had a sub 4 ERA in the 5 seasons prior to the trade and had 4 straight 200 IP seasons.  The walk rate and HR rates  were low and the K rates were solid.

He was 28 at the time of the trade, which is how old Means is.

He entered that trade deadline with a better resume than Means although Means is on pace to enter the trade deadline with more success in that given year.   

Is a top 15ish guy and another top 75 guy (and more) enough to say yes or do you still keep him?

• Upvote 1

In a vacuum you have to take that deal for Means. But outside of it there are two things I’d want to know: how close are the SP prospects, and is ownership willing to pay up? If you have 3 legit guys that you think can start contributing next year and ownership is willing to extend Means for 2-3 more (assuming he is willing to accept), maybe you hold onto him as your ace for a few playoff bids. 

Mancini is an interesting case in that many here, myself included, thought RMC would seize his role, and then some. Hasn’t gone according to plan just yet.

It’s time to start seeking quality instead of quantity. Means is a LH TOR or #2, and has had consistent success, albeit not for very long. Longer than SSS, though.

Don’t send him to the AL East, even now I hate watching ERod pitch for Boston. But I want two major prospects with a ‘22 arrival date, and a throw-in.

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Earlier today, I had a Twitter back and forth with Kyle Glasser of BA.  He tweeted that the Os should build around Mancini and Means.

I disagreed with him but one thing he did say is that the Os would have to deal Means if they got a Jose Quintana return.

I had honestly forgotten about that trade.

To refresh your memory, the WS dealt Quintana to the Cubs for Eloy Jimenez, Dylan Cease and 2 other minor leaguers.  At the time of the trade, Jimenez was ranked 8th by MLB.com and Cease was #63.

Quintana was dealt in July 2017 and the Cubs had him through the 2020 season.  Quintana came to the Cubs having had a sub 4 ERA in the 5 seasons prior to the trade and had 4 straight 200 IP seasons.  The walk rate and HR rates  were low and the K rates were solid.

He was 28 at the time of the trade, which is how old Means is.

He entered that trade deadline with a better resume than Means although Means is on pace to enter the trade deadline with more success in that given year.   

Is a top 15ish guy and another top 75 guy (and more) enough to say yes or do you still keep him?

Yes, that would be the type of deal I would want.

6 hours ago, Philip said:

It’s time to start seeking quality instead of quantity. Means is a LH TOR or #2, and has had consistent success, albeit not for very long. Longer than SSS, though.

Don’t send him to the AL East, even now I hate watching ERod pitch for Boston. But I want two major prospects with a ‘22 arrival date, and a throw-in.

I’d gladly trade Means to the Rays.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Padres could make a bunch of offers that we’d have to say yes to. Abrams as a centerpiece would be ideal, obviously. 

Abrams, Marcano, and Lange.  That would be a no brainer. 

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/padres/

Yes, Abrams is possible because he is blocked.  Not sure the Pads will be in the Means market though.

I don’t know why anyone would build around Mancini. If you want to argue they should keep him than that is a different argument.  

Means and Mancini are different cases. Mancini has one more year of team control and will turn 30 next year. A position that is easier to replace. 

Means has 3 more years of control after this season at a position where you can’t find talent like him available. 

If they are going to deal him they need to get a haul. Padres and Rays come to mind. Rich farm systems on contending teams.  

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Their rotation is deep. That said they seem to be in a battle with the Dodgers to keep up. 

Yep and they have some injuries to that rotation to guys who either will not be back this year or may not be back.

But their window to win is wide open and will be for a while.  Not sure it makes sense to keep trading so many top assets for an area you have so much depth at over the long term.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep and they have some injuries to that rotation to guys who either will not be back this year or may not be back.

But their window to win is wide open and will be for a while.  Not sure it makes sense to keep trading so many top assets for an area you have so much depth at over the long term.

I know a team at deadline has in theory better incentive to give up more because it’s one more year of contention. That said Means would also be attractive to a team this off-season who isn’t a contender this year but is ready to take that next step. I brought up Rays and Padres because they have best systems of the contenders.  

Seattle is one team that fits that description. 

• Upvote 1