Means trade comp

Sports Guy

The longer the Giants stay in it the better for us IMO.  The Giants could use another starter and Abraham’s is blocked in SD.  They both have a top level SS prospect that would need to be included.  I would play those two teams against each other and see if one of them blinks and if they don’t then you would onto him.  The Braves could also use pitching but I am nit that high on Pache as others so he would be few notches down on list.  

7 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d gladly trade Means to the Rays.

Trade Means within the division too close to our competitive window, and you've got to calculate the negative value of him pitching against us 4 - 6 times a season into the deal.  No one ever seems to think about it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Trade Means within the division too close to our competitive window, and you've got to calculate the negative value of him pitching against us 4 - 6 times a season into the deal.  No one ever seems to think about it.

It's hard to contemplate but Means will probably be on his way down by the time this club is really ready to compete so I wouldn't worry about trading him in the division. Whoever comes in with the best offer, you take it - division or not. Grab a snickers, it's gonna be a while. 

16 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

You are also taking away future value from the Rays.

And you are assuming he is “on his game” Every time he pitches against us.

The ONLY thing we should care about is getting max value for our best asset, if we do indeed decide to trade him.  Where he goes is irrelevant.

13 minutes ago, Natty said:

We have one of the best pitchers in baseball with John Means. It would not surprise me at all if our management shows how stupid they are and trades him. 

On the other hand, his value is likely at an all-time high.  How confident do you feel that he will consistently pitch like this from here on out over the next couple years?  If there is any hesitation over that projection, then trade him if you get the right package, particularly one where you might obtain a starting SS for the next 6-8 years.

I don't want to deal Means. I want him to be a key part of a contender in 2023. I think that's possible with the prospects on the horizon. That said, I would deal him for a couple top-100 (particularly with one being a top 20). I'd be all over a deal with San Diego headlined by Abrams, but don't see that happening. I'd do a Brujan/Baz package from Tampa. 

This would shift the competitive window back a bit in the hopes that we exceed Means' value with future value in the trade. It's a risk. The return would have to be very significant. I'm not saying no, but it would mean biting our lower lip essentially at least for another year.

Ever since the Chris Davis money debacle, the Orioles have been trading away good and even potential all star caliber players. 

Look what we got, half our team is AAA caliber players who would most likely not be in the majors with any  good team. 

1 minute ago, Natty said:

Ever since the Chris Davis money debacle, the Orioles have been trading away good and even potential all star caliber players. 

Look what we got, half our team is AAA caliber players who would most likely not be in the majors with any  good team. 

OK Machado who they were going to lose for a comp pick anyway. Who else is on this potential all star list? 

2 hours ago, billw76 said:

If you get an offer of a top 10-15 prospect and a top 75 plus more I think you have to make the trade. Means value is probably as high as it will ever be right now.

I guess this depends on your view of Means going forward.  I could see his value being higher this offseason or even next trade deadline.  

Since his time of being really good isn’t long, teams could want to see more from him before paying a lot.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, vab said:

OK Machado who they were going to lose for a comp pick anyway. Who else is on this potential all star list? 

Well since you asked...Schoop 2017 .293 BA, 32 HR, 35 2B, 105 RBI, .841 OPS. Dumped him to save money.

59 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I guess this depends on your view of Means going forward.  I could see his value being higher this offseason or even next trade deadline.  

Since his team of being really good isn’t long, teams could want to see more from him before paying a lot.

I agree he hasn't been good long enough, but if he keeps it up until this years deadline I think we should be able to get someone to "overpay", and it will be hard to turn down a great offer.

Pitchers are tough to hold on to IMO. I may be wrong and don't have data to back it up, but I think the risk of injury is higher than position players.