Will Means and Mancini be here beyond 2021? (Elias comments incl)

Aglets

I stumbled upon this article in the Sun which is a few weeks old, but I don't recall seeing it previously discussed here.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-john-means-rest-breakdown-20210520-yyliqjqy6bgazclwj52redi76u-story.html

There are some......interesting quotes from Elias in there, I will clip a few.  What I'm curious about is.......is this just typical GM speak that is likely meaningless when it comes to potential trade deals?  Or should we take it to mean Elias is actually serious about us being a playoff contender with these guys still on the roster?   Quotes below:

“We feel like this team is coming together in a good way,” Elias said. “We’ve got a lot of talent in the minor leagues, and not just in the minor leagues but in the upper minors. We’re in a phase in this situation where things can pop quickly. Both Trey [Mancini] and John are a big part of that and they’re in positions to be leaders in this club when that happens."

“Means in particular, we’re talking about three more seasons after this season before he reaches free agency. He's pitching like a No. 1 starter.......We’re just trying to keep him on that track and keep him healthy, and hopefully, we see him at the top of a playoff rotation for us in the near future.”

It’s both imo.

You can never really take what a GM says at face value.  They always have a hidden agenda and angle going on.

I think he views these guys as potential long term pieces but he also knows if someone wants to pay up for them, that he will be all ears.  

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

I stumbled upon this article in the Sun which is a few weeks old, but I don't recall seeing it previously discussed here.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-john-means-rest-breakdown-20210520-yyliqjqy6bgazclwj52redi76u-story.html

There are some......interesting quotes from Elias in there, I will clip a few.  What I'm curious about is.......is this just typical GM speak that is likely meaningless when it comes to potential trade deals?  Or should we take it to mean Elias is actually serious about us being a playoff contender with these guys still on the roster?   Quotes below:

“We feel like this team is coming together in a good way,” Elias said. “We’ve got a lot of talent in the minor leagues, and not just in the minor leagues but in the upper minors. We’re in a phase in this situation where things can pop quickly. Both Trey [Mancini] and John are a big part of that and they’re in positions to be leaders in this club when that happens."

“Means in particular, we’re talking about three more seasons after this season before he reaches free agency. He's pitching like a No. 1 starter.......We’re just trying to keep him on that track and keep him healthy, and hopefully, we see him at the top of a playoff rotation for us in the near future.”

That's very encouraging.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

That's very encouraging.

It is encouraging because Elias is signaling that the time to focus on the ML team and results is rapidly approaching.  I would not however consider words like this to be carved in stone as to Means and Mancini.  I think he is merely speaking about value and is recognizing their contributions to date which are impressive.

But the most important thing he said was in reference to a playoff in the very near future.  That is music to my ears.

I dont care who is in the uniform when that time comes...I mean, I do, I just don't want to get hung up on names.  I never imagined Delmon Young was gonna be the guy...

• Upvote 1

Based on the context it looks like he was asked to state the case for keeping them. There is probably also a case to trade them. All depends on what offers are on the table. I would be on keeping Means, not sure about Mancini. From a roster construction standpoint I really hate the idea of building around two RH 1B/DH, that just reduces so much of your flexibility to mix and match guys who have potential value.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

I think there is an inverse proportion between the power of the position and the honesty of the commentary.

1 hour ago, vab said:

They should be listening on everybody and I think they are but you don't come out and say everybody's available. Gotta keep your leverage. 

And the flip side... If someone doesn't wow you with a trade, you keep (some of...) these guys and Go To War Miss Agnes!

• Upvote 1

It really comes down to when Elias thinks the minors will be turning quality talent over to the majors.  I’m sure he is very encouraged by the results of Hall, Rodriguez, Rutchman and even guys like Vavra and Jones.  If Elias believes they are ready to contribute in the next year or so then Means definitely stays.  Mancini is a little different as he is closer to free agency and plays a position that one of your young studs (Mountcastle) is best suited for.

The minors are loaded with talent like the Orioles have never had before and the major league team is even showing signs of life from time to time.  If things continue to work out right (injuries) then we aren’t far off from having a young competitive team, which was the goal all along.