Grayson Rodriguez is now BA’s no. 1 pitching prospect

Frobby

https://mobile.twitter.com/BaseballAmerica/status/1401932962229362695

SG posted this in the Rodriguez thread on the minor league board yesterday, but it’s significant enough that I thought it warranted a thread over here.   

If Rodriguez has actually ascended to being the top pitching prospect in baseball, and Adley is no. 2 among position players, that’s pretty damned encouraging.   I just hope they live up to their billing!

• Upvote 3

He pitches tonight..probably gets rocked after having this “honor” bestowed upon him.

The clock has really started on him though imo.  If he goes through AA the way he has the rest of the minors, how long do you keep him there?  I’d be a little surprised if they brought him to the majors this season but not overly so.  

As Elias said in the Sun article posted yesterday, things can come together very quickly, which is what I have been saying for months.  The temptation is going to be there to get these star players up.  You make sure they have developed what they need to develop but once they have done that, you get them up here.

I've been thinking about making a thread on here just for those that never venture to the minors section of the board.  

For those that don't follow it, our minor leaguers have gotten off to a pretty terrific start.  Just about all of our top prospects are healthy and performing very well.  When it's easier to list the disappointments (Yusniel Diaz can't stay on the field and the 2nd tier of pitchers in the Lowther/Wells/Kramer/Baumann etc group haven't been fantastic) than it is the standouts you know things are going well.  Obviously this is no guarantee of future MLB success but the future does look very bright.

Binghamton is 9-20, though 7-3 Last 10 which I guess means the Mets AA affiliate opened 2-17.

AA is AA though, and Bowie did wobble the last two against Hartford, a team that was also scuffling.

Akron next week another of the league's few elite teams - I'm curious to see if they double him up against the softie on paper, or hold him Tuesday to Tuesday to go twice against a better opponent in front of the hometown fans.

Either way if he can be in Aces Gonna Ace mode three times the next two weeks, it might start to look silly to keep the train in AA station.    He'll probably be due for some load management soon.

As he should be. If I have time to make a trip home this summer catching some games at Bowie will be a top priority.  Future is really bright even if the MLB club is painful to watch right now. 

When was the last time we had the #1 pitching prospect in MLB? Was Mussina ever ranked that high? 

38 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

As he should be. If I have time to make a trip home this summer catching some games at Bowie will be a top priority.  Future is really bright even if the MLB club is painful to watch right now. 

When was the last time we had the #1 pitching prospect in MLB? Was Mussina ever ranked that high? 

Bundy was top pitcher and I think #2 overall

I’m guessing if Elias had hopes for Rodriguez starting his clock this year, he would have started the season at AA. I think starting him at Aberdeen was a tell. He was clearly ready for Bowie out of spring training. The longer he stays in the minors into this season, the harder it will become to justify burning a year of eligibility. Elias knew that when the season began. 

4 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I’m guessing if Elias had hopes for Rodriguez starting his clock this year, he would have started the season at AA. I think starting him at Aberdeen was a tell. He was clearly ready for Bowie out of spring training. The longer he stays in the minors into this season, the harder it will become to justify burning a year of eligibility. Elias knew that when the season began. 

I want to see him in the Majors, but it doesn't make sense at all for him to get there this year. I think the Orioles keep him in AA for most of the year and bump him up to AAA (if he's proven he earned it) the last month or so of the year. He goes back to AAA to start 2022 and then makes his debut mid year next year. I think that's the plan provided he pitches well enough to support it. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

He pitches tonight..probably gets rocked after having this “honor” bestowed upon him.

The clock has really started on him though imo.  If he goes through AA the way he has the rest of the minors, how long do you keep him there?  I’d be a little surprised if they brought him to the majors this season but not overly so.  

As Elias said in the Sun article posted yesterday, things can come together very quickly, which is what I have been saying for months.  The temptation is going to be there to get these star players up.  You make sure they have developed what they need to develop but once they have done that, you get them up here.

Zero reason to do so quickly. Especially this year. Take your time. Follow the plan. 2022 is the year.

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Bundy, Gausman, I think Arrieta and Matusz got that high as well