The guys you hoped to trade

Sports Guy

Entering this season, the Os added a few vets (and kept some others) that you hoped you could trade for something of potential value.

They added Galvis, Franco and Harvey in FA.  They tendered Severino.  They handed a job to Valdez.  They added Plutko.  They gave a split contract to Valaika.

All of these players served a purpose and for most of them, that purpose was to be an asset to use in a trade.  

However, that has really back fired.  This group has sucked.  Galvis has easily been the best player and worthy of being signed.  Somehow Valdez and Harvey still have a positive WAR but they obviously have been trending in the wrong direction for a while and currently have zero value.

Franco is worth 0 WAR and Severino, Plutko and Valaika are all negative WAR players.

Why are these guys still here?  What purpose do they have unless it’s just another example of Elias completely tanking, which at this point is pretty disgusting.

Get these well below average  players off the team and bring up the kids and let’s see what they can do.  We have plenty of potential arms and bats that should be getting a look.  You aren’t trading these guys.   No one wants them outside of maybe Galvis.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why are these guys still here?  What purpose do they have unless it’s just another example of Elias completely tanking, which at this point is pretty disgusting.

Get these well below average  players off the team and bring up the kids and let’s see what they can do.  We have plenty of potential arms and bats that should be getting a look.  You aren’t trading these guys.   No one wants them outside of maybe Galvis.

I hope, I'm proven wrong but financial concerns are influencing some of these decisions. Severino is getting $1.8M guaranteed and I don't think his play is at a point where the Orioles for going to DFA him. There is no reason to keep Severino on the 40 man roster other than tanking and not wanting to spend more $$$ on even a rookie minimum catcher.

Barring a suspension Severino is getting $1.8M no matter how he plays or not. Maybe come August/September we'll see action taken with Severino. I want to be wrong on this and see a change at catcher sooner. 

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I hope, I'm proven wrong but financial concerns are influencing some of these decisions. Severino is getting $1.8M guaranteed and I don't think his play is at a point where the Orioles for going to DFA him. There is no reason to keep Severino on the 40 man roster other than tanking and not wanting to spend more $$$ on even a rookie minimum catcher.

Barring a suspension Severino is getting $1.8M no matter how he plays or not. Maybe come August/September we'll see action taken with Severino. I want to be wrong on this and see a change at catcher sooner. 

Definitely could see this being true.  

They did it with Armstrong and he ended up staying.  I actually think you could DFA Severino and still keep him in the organization if you wanted to.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Entering this season, the Os added a few vets (and kept some others) that you hoped you could trade for something of potential value.

They added Galvis, Franco and Harvey in FA.  They tendered Severino.  They handed a job to Valdez.  They added Plutko.  They gave a split contract to Valaika.

All of these players served a purpose and for most of them, that purpose was to be an asset to use in a trade.  

However, that has really back fired.  This group has sucked.  Galvis has easily been the best player and worthy of being signed.  Somehow Valdez and Harvey still have a positive WAR but they obviously have been trending in the wrong direction for a while and currently have zero value.

Franco is worth 0 WAR and Severino, Plutko and Valaika are all negative WAR players.

So who would you like to be called up?  I’d like to see Jahmai Jones up before too long, but he’s just off the IL so I’m fine with him getting some AAA reps for a couple of weeks.   Nevin could come up I guess but I’m not expecting him to be an upgrade.   We might see Cumberland for Severino at some point.

I agree...there’s plenty of up and coming players that could replace what’s on the ML roster without messing up the window on contention regarding service time. I’m talking guys like Lowther, Baumann, Vavra, Cumberland, Jones, even Patrick Dorrian would be more entertaining to watch hit .600 OPS than Franco. None of those players should be held back due to service time issues, they’re having good years and playing positions that a black hole of production on the ML roster. It’s getting late enough in the season to make some changes and Harvey and Franco need to go and Stevie needs to fade into oblivion. 

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So who would you like to be called up?  I’d like to see Jahmai Jones up before too long, but he’s just off the IL so I’m fine with him getting some AAA reps for a couple of weeks.   Nevin could come up I guess but I’m not expecting him to be an upgrade.   We might see Cumberland for Severino at some point.

Adley (sometime between now and the AS break), Jones(or Vavra), Lowther..if you wait a month to bring up Adley, call up Sisco to play everyday (well most days)…Diaz comes up once healthy and playing…Nevin can come back up but probably wait until Mancini is dealt.

They can take a look at Leyba up here.  Not expecting much out of him but you need someone at third, so let’s see what he has.  

Pro sports owners have got to be bleeding money over these past two years, don't they?  Revenues have got to be way down and paying salaries without money coming in has to weigh heavy on their minds and factor in their decisions.  I think there is still some hesitancy going forward - will people come back to the ball parks/fields/arenas?  Will they stay away in fear of their health after getting a wakeup call on how quickly/easily a sickness can spread.  I have to think that personnel decisions are based on finances and financial decisions are in "wait and see" mode.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Pro sports owners have got to be bleeding money over these past two years, don't they?  Revenues have got to be way down and paying salaries without money coming in has to weigh heavy on their minds and factor in their decisions.  I think there is still some hesitancy going forward - will people come back to the ball parks/fields/arenas?  Will they stay away in fear of their health after getting a wakeup call on how quickly/easily a sickness can spread.  I have to think that personnel decisions are based on finances and financial decisions are in "wait and see" mode.

They aren’t bleeding money.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Harvey - Eating IP, taking a beating, it’s not like players in AAA are beating the door down.

Galvis - Has some trade value

Plutko - Might as well let him eat IP out of the pen. Has been real solid until recently.  

Franco - Can Leyba play 3rd?  Who else do we have?

Severino - Who else do we have?  Sisco is trying to find himself in AAA. Cumberland is a DH first, C second. 

These guys are stop gaps. Just not very good ones. 

This also goes back to something @Moose Milligantalked about before.

The theory that just sign these guys and we can trade them for value later. While it’s a good theory and every once in a while it works, the bottom line is most of these guys are not good and don’t net you anything at all or at least anything of any value whatsoever.

We get our hopes up that we can strike lightning in a bottle but the reality is you are likely just getting terrible production.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I don't think there is a single person, that I thought was added for the purpose of potential trade value.  All of these guys are added as low cost place holders to get through this year.  Sure if they exceed everyone's expectations they could be moved, but even so it would be for more filler, but either way that would be an added benefit.

You say the plan has backfired, but on the contrary, the players you site as a group are essentially playing replacement level as a group.  Some positive some negative.

But you say the players purpose was to be an asset to use in a trade.  I think that is overstated considerably.  

I don't think the group has been wildly successful...and I would agree that we could have done better, but as stop gaps go, I think the O's have done a fair job and gotten a fair return.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I don't think there is a single person, that I thought was added for the purpose of potential trade value.  All of these guys are added as low cost place holders to get through this year.  Sure if they exceed everyone's expectations they could be moved, but even so it would be for more filler, but either way that would be an added benefit.

You say the plan has backfired, but on the contrary, the players you site as a group are essentially playing replacement level as a group.  Some positive some negative.

But you say the players purpose was to be an asset to use in a trade.  I think that is overstated considerably.  

I don't think the group has been wildly successful...and I would agree that we could have done better, but as stop gaps go, I think the O's have done a fair job and gotten a fair return.

There was definitely a hope/anticipation by the fans and organization that you could deal many of these guys at the deadline.

Valaika and probably Plutko didn’t fall under that umbrella and who knows about Valdez but the the FA signings were for sure brought on in hopes you could trade them and part of the thought process in keeping Severino was that too imo.  

You can probably add Armstrong to this too.  If he pitched well, no doubt he is traded if there is a market for him.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

This also goes back to something @Moose Milligantalked about before.

The theory that just sign these guys and we can trade them for value later. While it’s a good theory and every once in a while it works, the bottom line is most of these guys are not good and don’t net you anything at all or at least anything of any value whatsoever.

We get our hopes up that we can strike lightning in a bottle but the reality is you are likely just getting terrible production.

Well it's just a laughable stance to take and it's become such a cliche term around here.  People thought we could flip Harvey or Franco at the deadline.  

It's obvious that they were out there for anyone to sign and no one was signing them.  The idea that they'd perform at a high level and bring back something of value at the trade deadline when anyone could have signed them 5 months previously for practically nothing is absurd.  

Even if Harvey and/or Franco performed exceedingly well, I still don't think you could get anything because people would just be waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Harvey has been terrible for years and Franco at this point is most likely is what he is.  He's 28 so there might be some room for a light switch to go on but probably not.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well it's just a laughable stance to take and it's become such a cliche term around here.  People thought we could flip Harvey or Franco at the deadline.  

It's obvious that they were out there for anyone to sign and no one was signing them.  The idea that they'd perform at a high level and bring back something of value at the trade deadline when anyone could have signed them 5 months previously for practically nothing is absurd.  

Even if Harvey and/or Franco performed exceedingly well, I still don't think you could get anything because people would just be waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Harvey has been terrible for years and Franco at this point is most likely is what he is.  He's 28 so there might be some room for a light switch to go on but probably not.  

Well, if they had performed well, I think you could have traded them, especially with Franco coming off a good 2020.

But I also don’t think you are getting much more back than a potential BP arm, 4th OFer type guy..maybe you could have gotten a DSL lottery ticket or 2.  That’s about it.

I’m glad they signed Franco because I felt he represented an upgraded to Ruiz but it hasn’t worked out that way.