Wednesday June 16 in Cleveland: and the beat goes on

SteveA

7 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

He did have a shot but let it go.  He faked the catch but could have easily caught it.  I wonder if someone behind him gave the "let it go!" call.

This is what I saw too.  Generally, it should be the catcher taking charge calling “CUT!”  

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Catcher has to yell cut. He is the one with the proper angle. With this team who knows. Maybe Franco didn’t hear him. At this point nothing would surprise me. 

Yes - catcher is in charge in that situation.  He is the one facing the play and can see the position of all the runners.  He needs to yell "cut" or "let it come" or "cut two" to have Franco cut it off and throw to second.  Palmer is correct in saying Severino should have left home plate to follow the path of the ball and not let it go to the backstop.  If Severino instructed Franco to let the ball come through and still didn't move to catch it, I would hope to never see Severino catch a game for Baltimore again.  That is inexcusable and he is not good enough to shrug that off.  He acts like he doesn't even care.

2 minutes ago, jdwilde1 said:

This is what I saw too.  Generally, it should be the catcher taking charge calling “CUT!”  

Pure speculation but the throw bounced. Perhaps Severino assumed Franco knew the throw had no shot? I have no idea. 

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:
11 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

He did have a shot but let it go.  He faked the catch but could have easily caught it.  I wonder if someone behind him gave the "let it go!" call.

Sure. It’s up to Severino to call cut.  Who knows at this point. I think Palmer needs to mention that. The throw wound up way off but he was there

Yes, and Severino was no where near the throw after Franco let it go through.  My guess is that Severino wasn’t paying attention and the ball wasn’t cut as a result. Then, the throw was to far off line for Severino to field since he was just hanging around the plate.  However, that’s all just speculation.

Just now, jdwilde1 said:

Yes, and Severino was no where near the throw after Franco let it go through.  My guess is that Severino wasn’t paying attention and the ball wasn’t cut as a result. Then, the throw was to far off line for Severino to field since he was just hanging around the plate.  However, that’s all just speculation.

In his defense he was probably thinking about the post game spread.  I hear they got good Chili in Cleveland.