More second guessing Hyde: Pitching

HowAboutThat

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And btw, Hyde is managing for more than just one game.  He is trying to evaluate these guys on whether they can do certain things.

Can Fry close games on back to back days?  If he can, does that elevate his trade value?  Can Wells be as good in high leverage situations?  

The Os were up 7-1, they took a 3 run lead into the 9th, which is the easiest save situation lead to hold.  Even when Wells came in, he needed to get 1 out before they scored 2 runs.  Your odds are very high that these things get accomplished whether someone pitched the day before or not.  Relievers go back to back games all the time, even subpar ones, and still end up being successful.

Santander should have caught that ball and it’s over.

Chances are, if Sulser comes in and blows it, this thread is started by someone else who doesn’t get it.

Or even a slightly different thread by the same poster.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Tampa has had a lot of success using openers--guys who are good for one time through the order.  That's probably the best role for Lopez and for Harvey.  

It is easy to say this, but somebody has to eat the innings, whether it’s at the start of the game or the middle.   Tampa has had 45 games where its starter went 5+ innings.   We’ve had 37.   I also see four games where Tampa’s second pitcher went 5+ and it’s clear Tampa was using an opener strategy in those games.   So, that’s 49 of 73 where they had someone pitch 5+ innings.   It’s one thing to cover 24/73 games with no pitcher throwing 5 IP.   Covering 34/71 is much more difficult.    

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Daddy-O's said:

I realize the Orioles have sub standard talent, and I do not expect a winning record.  What bothers me most about this team is the mental mistakes and lack of effort.  I think this is what reflects poorly on the manager.

There is no lack of effort.

• Haha 1

To me mental mistakes are due to lazy mental processes or just no instincts for the game of baseball. They have gotten  to the top level of the sport by physical ability and some ability to hit a baseball, but they would probably be better at another profession.  Baseball is very different than other professions.  Where else can a person fail to produce 7 times out of 10 and maybe make the HoF.    

41 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

To me mental mistakes are due to lazy mental processes or just no instincts for the game of baseball. They have gotten  to the top level of the sport by physical ability and some ability to hit a baseball, but they would probably be better at another profession.  Baseball is very different than other professions.  Where else can a person fail to produce 7 times out of 10 and maybe make the HoF.    

Ben Simmons shooting free throws and 3 pointers.  Too Soon?