Dilon Tate Is Bringing The Heat!

Il BuonO

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure I'll have plenty to be upset about with or without Tate.

Yeah, I'm hoping and expecting that in 2022 we'll have new guys, including some $800,000 to $1 million free agent infielders and pitchers, whose lack of competence will amaze us and delight the rest of the AL East.  

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/11/an-os-pitcher-who-could-have-a-breakout-2022-season.html

Melewski seems to think highly of Tate.   To me, he seemed to be turning a corner at times, but then would revert to mediocrity.   Does he have another gear?

He does, but the transmission keeps slipping. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2021/11/an-os-pitcher-who-could-have-a-breakout-2022-season.html

Melewski seems to think highly of Tate.   To me, he seemed to be turning a corner at times, but then would revert to mediocrity.   Does he have another gear?

Steve can be overly optimistic on guys.  End of the day, this article is basically saying he gets a lot of ground balls.  That’s true and just like a lot of relievers throughout the game, guys can come out of nowhere and have some big years.

The issue with Tate is that he doesn’t miss bats and doesn’t get Ks.  It’s not that you can’t be good in today’s game if those things aren’t up to par, it’s just a lot harder to do it.

You essentially need 3-4 really reliable arms in your pen.  Your go to guys so to speak. I don’t see Tate being one of those guys outside of him popping a year here or there because, like I said, that happens with relievers.  They are just very volatile.

For me, Tate is your 5th or 6th out of the pen.  A 3.5-4.5 ERA guy that can eat up 70ish innings and, when he comes in, will keep you in most games.  But he’s not the back end of the pen, shut down guy he looked like he could be.

If he develops another pitch or does something where he can put missed bats and Ks with those ground balls, that’s a different story.  But for now, I don’t think you can rely on him to be much of anything.