2021 MLB Trade Deadline Deals

SteveA

Not quite July, but 31 days until the deadline, time to start the thread.   Report and discuss July deals here:

The Blue Jays traded veteran infielder Joe Panik and minor league reliever Andrew McInvale to the Marlins for reliever Austin Cimber and OF Corey Dickerson and cash considrations.

Apparently Cimber was Toronto's primary target, and they took on Dickerson's salary so Derek Jeter could buy some more gift baskets.

Dickerson is currently injured and in a walking boot.

Miami wants to play young Jesus Sanchez in left so they didn't want Dickerson when he came back from his injury.

• Upvote 1

Yankees trade pitching prospect Keegan Curtis to the Diamondbacks for OF Tim Locastro.

Curtis is 25 and in AA for the Yankees, a 22nd round pick in 2018 with 11.4 K/9 and 3.6 BB/9 in his minor league career.

Locastro is a 28 yo outfielder for Arizona who has a career line of  .234/.339/.324 which means he'll probably OPS about .800 once he puts on the pinstripes.   This year he is just hitting .178.   He is 31/34 stealing in his career (5/8 this year so he had never been caught before this year).

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 8:54 PM, OrioleDog said:

Let's see what that 7th year of Kris Bryant club control turns into, apart from the strained relationship across the entire span.

Bryant is the one veteran I think the Cubs should have kept.  They obviously don't have the payroll restraints the O's do.  Now they are considering how to keep Rizzo.  Take it from an O's fan, contracts to 30+, 32 in Rizzo's case, 1B rarely work out well.

14 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Bryant is the one veteran I think the Cubs should have kept.  They obviously don't have the payroll restraints the O's do.  Now they are considering how to keep Rizzo.  Take it from an O's fan, contracts to 30+, 32 in Rizzo's case, 1B rarely work out well.

Seems like a lot of bad blood between the two parties over service time manipulation.  If the player doesn't want to extend you are better off sending him packing.

Szymborski's educated guesses.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-make-some-trades-the-2021-edition/

If Dombrowski's gonna Dombrowski and do anything silly for a CF, as much as Mullins' 2021 has been the biggest MLB win this year, I could live with being his supplier.    Was surprised Szymborski's guess was Philadelphia had enough stuff to  get Buxton/Berrios both without Alec Bohm.

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

Szymborski's educated guesses.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-make-some-trades-the-2021-edition/

If Dombrowski's gonna Dombrowski and do anything silly for a CF, as much as Mullins' 2021 has been the biggest MLB win this year, I could live with being his supplier.    Was surprised Szymborski's guess was Philadelphia had enough stuff to  get Buxton/Berrios both without Alec Bohm.

Scherzer going to the Astros makes them the favorite to win the World Series IMO. I know Astros have their haters, but I'd rather see them make the series over the Red Sox or Yankees. 

• Upvote 1

Its one "hitter better than Trey Mancini" off the list.    Rays Red Sox Brewers were the top 1B/DH fits I recall from various internet guesses at the beginning of the month, and Gallo and perhaps Rizzo are better options before buyers might see Mancini/Aguilar/Cron type tier as their best bet.

As ever if the org isn't aiming for a much better 2022, it'll be a kindness to find him a good home these last 7 days.