2021 MLB Trade Deadline Deals

SteveA

MLB Trade Rumors says Texas is getting 5 or 6 minor leaguers from NY, none of whom are among the Yankees’ top ten prospects. If true this doesn’t appear to be a good deal for the Rangers. It’s my impression that NY’s system isn’t considered very deep quality wise. 

How much value does Joey Gallo really add to the yanks?

But it comes in an offensive profile with tinges of Gary Sanchez. Since the beginning of last season, Gallo has 35 homers and a .207 batting average. Gallo leads the majors this year with 74 walks. But take a look at the Texas lineup. If you did, you would never throw Gallo a strike. Perhaps, he will get more of them surrounded by better Yankees hitters.

That should lead to plenty of damage. Also plenty of strikeouts.

Gallo was fanning in 32.2 percent of his plate appearances this year — second highest among qualified batters. He has a career in which he has struggled driving in runners from third with less than two outs. His 40.7 this year is actually the best of his career and still lower than the 2021 Yankees rate of 43.8 percent — second-worst in the majors and central to the club’s woes this year.

It is moments like those that you need a good hitter. The Yankees are more replete with dangerous hitters, not necessarily good ones. Gallo will move into that seamlessly. In part because the Yankees’ brain trust just can’t resist this type.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/the-yankees-just-couldnt-resist-joey-gallo-trade-sherman/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

3 hours ago, 7Mo said:

How much value does Joey Gallo really add to the yanks?

But it comes in an offensive profile with tinges of Gary Sanchez. Since the beginning of last season, Gallo has 35 homers and a .207 batting average. Gallo leads the majors this year with 74 walks. But take a look at the Texas lineup. If you did, you would never throw Gallo a strike. Perhaps, he will get more of them surrounded by better Yankees hitters.

That should lead to plenty of damage. Also plenty of strikeouts.

Gallo was fanning in 32.2 percent of his plate appearances this year — second highest among qualified batters. He has a career in which he has struggled driving in runners from third with less than two outs. His 40.7 this year is actually the best of his career and still lower than the 2021 Yankees rate of 43.8 percent — second-worst in the majors and central to the club’s woes this year.

It is moments like those that you need a good hitter. The Yankees are more replete with dangerous hitters, not necessarily good ones. Gallo will move into that seamlessly. In part because the Yankees’ brain trust just can’t resist this type.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/the-yankees-just-couldnt-resist-joey-gallo-trade-sherman/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

They play in a ballpark perfectly suited to lefthanded hitters and almost all the key hitters in their lineup are righthanded.   Gallo has more HRs this year than all Yankee LH hitters combined.

That can't be discounted.   In their ballpark they desperately needed to add a LH bat to their lineup.

And I thought that the in-thing these days was to say that batter strikeouts don't matter?

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

They play in a ballpark perfectly suited to lefthanded hitters and almost all the key hitters in their lineup are righthanded.   Gallo has more HRs this year than all Yankee LH hitters combined.

That can't be discounted.   In their ballpark they desperately needed to add a LH bat to their lineup.

And I thought that the in-thing these days was to say that batter strikeouts don't matter?

As someone who isn't a fan of the Yanks I'm pleased with the trade.  They gave up a ton and I don't think this team has what it takes to win a ring even with Gallo.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

As someone who isn't a fan of the Yanks I'm pleased with the trade.  They gave up a ton and I don't think this team has what it takes to win a ring even with Gallo.

I haven't studied the prospects they gave up but I thought I read some OH posts indicating it was more quanity than quality?

They clearly need at least one starting pitcher too, to contend.   I think they had two absolute needs:  a good LH bat, and a starting pitcher.   They got probably the best available LH bat.   I'll wait to see what pitcher they pick up before I write them off.

But I hope you are correct.

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I haven't studied the prospects they gave up but I thought I read some OH posts indicating it was more quanity than quality?

They clearly need at least one starting pitcher too, to contend.   I think they had two absolute needs:  a good LH bat, and a starting pitcher.   They got probably the best available LH bat.   I'll wait to see what pitcher they pick up before I write them off.

But I hope you are correct.

Kevin Goldstein thinks it's a good return. 

2 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Kevin Goldstein thinks it's a good return. 

TBH, you hardly ever hear these guys talk badly about any of these deals. The only one I can remember being a consensus bad deal was the Arenado trade. The Yankees arguably have the best player development team in the league.  This season their org ranked jumped solely because there was actually a season to showcase their guys. I think they have a very good read on their prospects and I'd bank on none of these guys being more than average/slightly above average regulars when they reach the bigs. That being said, as CoC mentioned, this is a move that doesn't push them over the edge imo. Giving up any of these guys is a win for the Orioles given their current trajectory. 

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

TBH, you hardly ever hear these guys talk badly about any of these deals. The only one I can remember being a consensus bad deal was the Arenado trade. The Yankees arguably have the best player development team in the league.  This season their org ranked jumped solely because there was actually a season to showcase their guys. I think they have a very good read on their prospects and I'd bank on none of these guys being more than average/slightly above average regulars when they reach the bigs. That being said, as CoC mentioned, this is a move that doesn't push them over the edge imo. Giving up any of these guys is a win for the Orioles given their current trajectory. 

What I think is interesting is that Texas sent money with Gallo.

That tells me the Yankees

1. Want to make at least one more move
  2. Want to stay under the "salary cap"

That is probably going to cause them to have to give up additional player capital in order to improve their current roster.  Which I view as a win.

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Good points. Smith and Duran slot in as the 7th and 8th prospects on the Texas listing per MLB, Hauver at 19 and Otto at 25. Texas is paying most or all of the Gallo and Rodriguez cost.  

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What I think is interesting is that Texas sent money with Gallo.

That tells me the Yankees

1. Want to make at least one more move
  2. Want to stay under the "salary cap"

That is probably going to cause them to have to give up additional player capital in order to improve their current roster.  Which I view as a win.

Bingo. They definitely aren't done and the best thing for us is to have them do all of this to fail in October again. I'd like to see Tampa get Scherzer for a big haul but it doesn't seem like that will happen even if they were willing. 

Just now, LTO's said:

Bingo. They definitely aren't done and the best thing for us is to have them do all of this to fail in October again. I'd like to see Tampa get Scherzer for a big haul but it doesn't seem like that will happen even if they were willing. 

I think Scherzer is eyeing that NL West scrum as the place to be for his legacy.

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Looks like Scherzer to the Padres is in the finishing touches. I was hoping they’d want Means and we could get one oe two of their top prospects in the deal. Oh well. 

I guess if we watch the Orioles fail to draft pitchers in the top round year after year, the "grow the bats, buy the pitchers" philosophy seems to be in place -- the Padres are the ones to emulate.   Sure they developed Lamet, and mostly developed Paddack (traded for him early in his minor league career).   But those guys are mostly afterthoughts as they go out and get established pitchers to fill their rotation:  Darvish, Musgrove, Scherzer, Snell, Clevinger.   Meanwhile they tend to trade away a lot of their own original pitching talent when they are still young (Lauer, Lucchesi, Quantrill, Logan Allen.

It's almost as if they never intend to develop their own starting pitching, they just want to fill their rotation with established veterans who established themselves elsewhere.   If you aspire to be in the Padres rotation, the last thing you want to do is get drafted by them.   Make your bones elsewhere and wait for them to acquire you.