2021 Draft Thread

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Hi, it me, you can call me out directly. :)

We don't have any that are any damn good, you're correct. That's why this isn't really a problem yet. There's plenty of places for these guys to play because look how many players have flamed out just this year. It's going to work out fine. 

My point is, we're taking a ton of position player talent and we will eventually trade some of it inevitably. 

I'm also trying to look at this with a positive attitude, of course if things don't work out...

tenor.gif?itemid=4957998

Just now, interloper said:

Hi, it me, you can call me out directly. :)

We don't have any that are any damn good, you're correct. That's why this isn't really a problem yet. There's plenty of places for these guys to play because look how many players have flamed out just this year. It's going to work out fine. 

My point is, we're taking a ton of position player talent and we will eventually trade some of it inevitably. 

TBH, I didn't pay attention to who was saying it.

And we aren't definitely trading it one day because, AGAIN, they have to be good and not only good, they have to better than what other teams have.  You can always draft or trade for mediocre/middling OF players.  They are a dime a dozen.  Not like teams are knocking down the door for the Kyle Stowers of the world.  Every organization has guys like that.

12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The over slot guys are on the way!  

Lots of top talent dropping to the middle rounds.  So glad we are losing on purpose to draft guys that you can pick up at any point.

And if they want an outfielder - why not take Will Taylor?  

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

TBH, I didn't pay attention to who was saying it.

And we aren't definitely trading it one day because, AGAIN, they have to be good and not only good, they have to better than what other teams have.  You can always draft or trade for mediocre/middling OF players.  They are a dime a dozen.  Not like teams are knocking down the door for the Kyle Stowers of the world.  Every organization has guys like that.

They absolutely do not. Let's say one day the O's want to trade for a big time SP on a selling team. That team will take any 4 or 5 of our prospects as long as they are decently rated and talented guys. They don't have to be incredible, but that selling team is going to look for value and quantity and some quality. There's going to be one highlight top prospect player in the package surrounded by some decent prospects. When the O's are ready to make that trade, they will have a farm system full of guys like this. We'll trade a few and the farm won't even take a hit. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

They absolutely do not. Let's say one day the O's want to trade for a big time SP on a selling team. That team will take any 4 or 5 of our prospects as long as they are decently rated and talented guys. They don't have to be incredible, but that selling team is going to look for value and quantity and some quality. There's going to be one highlight top prospect player in the package surrounded by some decent prospects. When the O's are ready to make that trade, they will have a farm system full of guys like this. We'll trade a few and the farm won't even take a hit. 

This is hilarious.

Thank you for that.

I honestly can't tell if you really mean this or if this is schtick.

• Downvote 1

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

A pitcher!    Hooray!

He's turning 23 in less than two months.

Well we want to rule out the possibility of a late bloomer that has a chance to be an impactful player in MLB.  This way, we  can be sure of what we are getting, a guy that has fulfilled his potential and will never get above low A

Is this the oldest draft class in MLB history???

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

This is hilarious.

Thank you for that.

I honestly can't tell if you really mean this or if this is schtick.

When we traded Bedard, we got exactly 2 good players back. Sherrill was older and not great. The other two flamed out. The trade is only viewed as a huge win for the O's because Bedard ended up flaming out so quickly and getting hurt. 

What I'm saying is, when the O's are ready to trade for a pitcher of Bedard's caliber, that package is going to include a lot of draft picks of the last few years. Because these are good players, they just aren't the players you want. 

It had been in the back of my mind for awhile, but finally stepped through the legwork of these poo-poo platters.   Rank is as listed by MLB on Astros team list in trade news story.

Verlander 8.31.2017

#3 Franklin Perez, IFA

#9 Daz Cameron, 2015 Round 1

#11 Jake Rogers, 2016 Round 3

Cole 1.13.2018

Young MLB'ers Joe Musgrove and Michael Feliz

#5 Colin Moran, 2013 Round 1

#15 Jason Martin, 2013 Round 8

Greinke 7.31.2019

#3 Seth Beer, 2018 Round 1

#4 JB Bukauskas, 2017 Round 1

#5 Corbin Martin, 2017 Round 2

#22 Josh Rojas, 2017 Round 26

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

When we traded Bedard, we got exactly 2 good players back. Sherrill was older and not great. The other two flamed out. The trade is only viewed as a huge win for the O's because Bedard ended up flaming out so quickly and getting hurt. 

What I'm saying is, when the O's are ready to trade for a pitcher of Bedard's caliber, that package is going to include a lot of draft picks of the last few years. Because these are good players, they just aren't the players you want. 

LOL...This is absurd.

First of all, the overall context of this draft discussion is that the team is losing on purpose and that losing on purpose carries 2 advantages..a high pick and more money to spend, most of which the difference is that high pick.

The Orioles could have had this same exact draft if they were drafting 13th and were fielding a more competitive team.

As for this ridiculous notion that they are drafting for trades.  Sure, the more players you have, the more your chances increase to make trades but again, are those players any good AND did you do anything special to acquire them?  As I said, you can get these types of guys all the time, in any of the early rounds.  They are always there.  Every team is drafting guys like this.  Every team has guys like this.  So what makes them special?  

To act as if this is some amazing strategy is hilarious.  

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

LOL...This is absurd.

First of all, the overall context of this draft discussion is that the team is losing on purpose and that losing on purpose carries 2 advantages..a high pick and more money to spend, most of which the difference is that high pick.

The Orioles could have had this same exact draft if they were drafting 13th and were fielding a more competitive team.

As for this ridiculous notion that they are drafting for trades.  Sure, the more players you have, the more your chances increase to make trades but again, are those players any good AND did you do anything special to acquire them?  As I said, you can get these types of guys all the time, in any of the early rounds.  They are always there.  Every team is drafting guys like this.  Every team has guys like this.  So what makes them special?  

To act as if this is some amazing strategy is hilarious.  

Clearly something! To think you are smarter than Elias and Sig is the height of internet hubris. There are literally scores of guys working on this draft and scouting these guys and analyzing data. And you just choose to say "eh, this stinks". Which is your right and all, but it's hilarious all the same. You are a message board person LOL. Like... you are writing your baseball opinions on a message board my guy. There's like 50 people who post here. But please feel free to continue to think you are a great baseball mind. 

• Haha 1