2021 Draft Thread

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Reminder: Elias is going to trade for pitching. That's what the Astros did and that's what we'll do. You take safe position player picks that will produce, and you package them for stud pitchers. 

The guys who have pitched significant games in the Astros rotation this year:

-- 1 draftee (McCullers)

-- 1 free agent (Odorizzi)

-- 1 guy traded for (Greinke)

-- 4 international signees:  Urquiddy, Garcia, Valdez, Javier

The draftee and the 4 international guys were acquired while Elias was there;  the key guys traded for Greinke were drafted while Elias was there.   So Elias has a big hand in the building of the current Astro rotation.   But only one of those guys was traded for.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Reminder: Elias is going to trade for pitching. That's what the Astros did and that's what we'll do. You take safe position player picks that will produce, and you package them for stud pitchers. 

I assume you mean that the O's will trade for pitching prospects, because if you are talking about established pitchers you have to deal with the fact that pitchers don't want to play in Camden Yards and will not sign here long-term unless you pay a premium.  But trading for prospects poses its own difficulties.  The team trading a prospect knows a lot more about the player's health and development than the team acquiring the player, creating potential for adverse selection.  I'd rather that the O's develop their own arms.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

4th round is about to begin. I suppose that Cowser could be less overslot than we thought and/or that some overslot will be going to the previous two picks who are college sophomores. Hopefully we will get more clarity with this pick.

Doesn't an "overslot" have to be someone who is ranked higher than their slot?  At least on MLB.com, everyone the O's have picked has been ranked below their slot.  I know that publicly available lists aren't the be all and end all, but at least they represent an unbiased estimate of market value.    If a college sophomore is the 120th ranked player, why does it make sense to pick him 70th and pay him more than slot value just because a sophomore has more leverage?   

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The guys who have pitched significant games in the Astros rotation this year:

-- 1 draftee (McCullers)

-- 1 free agent (Odorizzi)

-- 1 guy traded for (Greinke)

-- 4 international signees:  Urquiddy, Garcia, Valdez, Javier

The draftee and the 4 international guys were acquired while Elias was there;  the key guys traded for Greinke were drafted while Elias was there.   So Elias has a big hand in the building of the current Astro rotation.   But only one of those guys was traded for.

Fair. I think we also will rely on international signees and free agents, as well as drafts a bit, for our pitching. People are freaking out like Elias is some idiot who thinks our pitching is in great shape. Obviously there's a plan here, let's see how it plays out.